News VCU Athletic Village

Ed stated last year the following, per the article I posted above:

"The outdoor track and field stadium “will not happen without the funding that we will receive from moving,” VCU Athletics Director Ed McLaughlin said last year."

Now he has reversed course and is saying VCU is moving forward with the Athletics Village this spring. That decision also comes on the heels of Ed announcing last Thursday that his top fundraiser, Todd McFarlane has resigned and accepted a new position to lead fundraising at the College of William and Mary. Todd was the top fundraiser for the Athletics Village. It's also interesting that Todd McFarlane resigned from VCU shortly after the City of Richmond announced they were delaying the purchase of Sports Backers Stadium until a later phase, which could be a number of years from now.

The first phase of the Athletics Village is projected to cost $38 million, with the $25 million sale of Sports Backers Stadium covering a significant portion of that cost. Not sure where Ed is now making up that shortfall in revenue from the sale.
I do not think it is a coincidence that donation requirements dropped in the same week or 2 of the Village stalling and Todd resigning. I am not sure what the correlation is, but that reduced donation announcement came out of nowhere and all in proximity of the City putting our $25 million on hold and Todd resigning.

Last edited:
At what point does the cost balloon so much that they decide they don't need a ballpark? It was never going to pay for itself based off of the initial cost projections. How much is the city willing to spend on a single use facility?

I wouldn't be surprised if the city "deferring" funds due to VCU was the first step in the Diamond District project never happening.

I do not think it is a coincidence that donation requirements dropped in the same week or 2 of the Village stalling and Todd resigning.

Todd has only been at VCU for 16 months. That's after spending 16 years as the CEO of the Boys & Girls Club of Richmond, and raising over $90 million in private donations. Something had to trigger him leaving VCU. I'm sure he has had a bird's eye view of the Athletics Village's challenges for way more than two weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the city "deferring" funds due to VCU was the first step in the Diamond District project never happening.

I think the baseball stadium and phase 1 will be built, but there are going to be "casualties" along the way in order for it to cross the finish line. Do I think phase 2 and later phases will be built? With the City of Richmond's history, I would not take that bet. Unfortunately, the sale of Sports Backers Stadium will now be after phase 1.

Here's a question. If Sports Backers Stadium is not going to be sold as part of phase 1, then why is VCU still making the track and field complex part of phase 1 of the Athletics Village? Why not change your priorities and maybe build the tennis complex first since Sports Backers Stadium is not going to be torn down any time soon. That would also free up the existing tennis facility property on campus for further academic/student life expansion, which is part of VCU's master plan.

Last edited:
I think the baseball stadium and phase 1 will be built, but there are going to be "casualties" along the way in order for it to cross the finish line. Do I think phase 2 and later phases will be built? With the City of Richmond's history, I would not take that bet. Unfortunately, the sale of Sports Backers Stadium will now be after phase 1.

Here's a question. If Sports Backers Stadium is not going to be sold as part of phase 1, then why is VCU still making the track and field complex part of phase 1 of the Athletics Village? Why not change your priorities and maybe build the tennis complex first since Sports Backers Stadium is not going to be torn down any time some. That would also free up the existing tennis facility property on campus for further academic/student life expansion which is part of VCU's master plan.
i am a runner and there is nothing wrong with Sportsbacker stadium as a track facility. Sure you can re-surface the rack and maybe some field improvements. But I say keep that facility there and move on to the other phases.

i am a runner and there is nothing wrong with Sportsbacker stadium as a track facility. Sure you can re-surface the rack and maybe some field improvements. But I say keep that facility there and move on to the other phases.

You would think VCU would re-evaluate their priorities now regarding the Athletics Village. I would assume the track and field complex was only part of phase 1 due to the sale of Sports Backers Stadium. With that not happening any time soon, you would think tennis would then become priority number one.

Back