News VCU Athletic Village

While there is not so much interest in sumo (I happen to love it) around here. Although there do seem to be quite a lot of people in training to get bulked up !

But you might be surprised at how much interest there is in Cricket in the Richmond area.

Its wildly popular in southern asia and the west indies and South Africa. Quite a lot of those folks came here for Y2K.
Based on the number of fans, cricket is the second most popular sport in the world, trailing only soccer. Basketball is third, with hockey (ice and field) and tennis rounding out the top 5. Baseball is nine. American football doesn't even crack the top 10.

Anyone of any age that is introduced to pickleball will love it and likely become addicted .... just got off the courts at Rockwood; among my partners was a young man named Jamal who plays on the JV football team at Thomas Dale. It is not a sport of "those than can't play tennis." They don't want to play tennis. You've got an old scouting report. But let me know; I can set anyone of any age up with a game as early as right now ... they've got lights at Rockwood (8 courts), Harry Daniel Park (8) and CTC, old Clover hill high, 12. You can play all night.
I think pickle ball is great for those age-appropriate. I checked it out here in Laramie from an older (former) UW tennis coach. It’s popular.

We have a good friend in her 70’s in RVA that loves it.

My wife has had both knees replaced and can’t do tennis anymore. Shame because she can knock the poop out of a tennis ball. So, we looked into pickle ball.

It’s okay to admit you are getting old. And you are.

I think pickle ball is great for those age-appropriate. I checked it out here in Laramie from an older (former) UW tennis coach. It’s popular.

My wife has had both knees replaced and can’t do tennis anymore. Shame because she can knock the poop out of a tennis ball. So, we looked into pickle ball.

I know a couple decent level tennis players who could no longer play at a competitive level, one because both of his news were shot, the other because of a bad shoulder. They both transitioned to pickle ball and became instant stars on the pickle ball circuit.

Luckily almost all the tennis clubs here have green clay courts, which you can't play pickle ball on because the ball won't bounce. So if a club does have a few pickle ball courts, they're usually off by themselves so you can't hear the annoying sound of the plastic paddle striking the plastic ball. Looks like ping pong without the table and good players.

I know a couple decent level tennis players who could no longer play at a competitive level, one because both of his news were shot, the other because of a bad shoulder. They both transitioned to pickle ball and became instant stars on the pickle ball circuit.

Luckily almost all the tennis clubs here have green clay courts, which you can't play pickle ball on because the ball won't bounce. So if a club does have a few pickle ball courts, they're usually off by themselves so you can't hear the annoying sound of the plastic paddle striking the plastic ball. Looks like ping pong without the table and good players.
I know you are a VCU tennis player of the same time I was at VCU. Very cool.

I belong to Westwood racquet club. They added Pickle ball courts. They are sparingly used. Squash/ raquetball get used more. Tennis popularity at the club is as high as ever. .
Ha, I worked there in the 80's.Most of the folks were a holes.

But then again, Sonny was a member and he was awesome.

Last edited:

My wife and I both grew up with ping pong tables and played tennis. We have never played pickleball but have already spoken of world domination about 2 weeks after we get started.

Bring it!

All-time thread hijack.
The mention of "manlier sports" made me laugh. My uncle has a standing offer to golf with me, which he knows I loathe. I've consistently told him I'll hit the links with him anytime so long as we get in a few rounds of kickboxing or do a little grappling after. I'm slow and out of shape, but I still got his number!

If it gets people up and moving who would otherwise be sitting on their butts or laying on the couch, it's a good thing.
I am laying on the couch watching Lakers/Warriors when apparently I could be out honing my pickleball forehand

Personally I’m a big fan of bocci but I have no idea what that has to do with the Athletic Village.

Why on earth do they call it pickleball? What a stupid name. Bocci is awesome now.

Back