VCU Baseball Offseason/ Transfers In and Out

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
Ben Nippolt off to LSU
Connor Hujsak off to Miss St
Chase Hungate off to UVa
Tyler Davis off to Miss St

Also, there's this little nugget... https://richmond.com/sports/college...cle_6f8211ce-0c8f-5ba0-8792-99abd6289d2a.html

For those who entered the transfer portal after July 1, a waiver to the NCAA would be required to obtain immediate eligibility at their new school.
But VCU director of athletics Ed McLaughlin, in a Zoom meeting with players and parents on Wednesday, expressed that he would not sign such waivers.
“Since we’re not running them off,” McLaughlin said on Thursday. “They don’t meet any of the criteria for a run off waiver. I told them that I’m happy to talk to the athletic directors at their schools where they want to transfer to. And if their athletic directors have another type of idea for a waiver that they want to try to pursue with them, then we would support them.

“But I was very clear with them that I will not be dishonest and say that they were run off when they weren’t.”

McLaughlin said the players are free to pursue the opportunities elsewhere. The next step for each of the players affected would be to pursue an alternative waiver, filed by their new school.
“I said to them, ‘It’s not that I don’t support you,’” McLaughlin said, of his message to the outgoing players and their parents. “It’s just, I won’t be dishonest about it. I’ve never done that before [with the waivers], and I won’t do it with them either.”

Here's hoping Coach LeCroy starts to bring some new/talented faces IN!! With the way the portal is now? This doesn't have to be a "lost" or "transition" year....LeCroy and Staff could reload if they are aggressive and lucky

Anyone have confirmation of those that were in portal and had signed elsewhere came back or indeed left?

Roster is up for next season....more than a couple familiar names at the top, but also 13 or 14 freshman and about 7 or 8 JC/CC transfers

Good news? Our OF/C is taken care of with Jr's and Sr's and Will Carlone will most likely be the Big Bat in the lineup in the infield. Also, plenty of arms....but as always, won't know what we have until it's go time for the season.

Good to see Serrano didn't change his mind/commitment with Stiffler/Cutler-Voultz leaving.....

But ugh I gotta cheer on a Hanover Hawk? Ugh they're our nemesis in HS... always have been since they opened that frigging school when I was in school.

Last edited:
Good to see Serrano didn't change his mind/commitment with Keyes/Cutler-Voultz leaving.....

But ugh I gotta cheer on a Hanover Hawk? Ugh they're our nemesis in HS... always have been since they opened that frigging school when I was in school.
Keyes didn’t leave.

Transfer Out Updates

Ben Nippolt (LSU) has been coming off the bench, of at all, in Baton Rouge....40AB's all season..not much of note

Connor Hujsack (Miss St) about the same as Nippolt...39 AB's...not much of note

Chase Hungate (UVa) 15 appearances, 24 innings, 6.00 ERA

Tyler Davis (Miss St) 12 appearances, 18 innings, 10.61 ERA

I don't see much changing for these guys going forward.....good news? They are playing at fancy "big" schools...bad news, almost ZERO chance of being drafted and are getting minimal playing time

too bad

Transfer Out Updates

Ben Nippolt (LSU) has been coming off the bench, of at all, in Baton Rouge....40AB's all season..not much of note

Connor Hujsack (Miss St) about the same as Nippolt...39 AB's...not much of note

Chase Hungate (UVa) 15 appearances, 24 innings, 6.00 ERA

Tyler Davis (Miss St) 12 appearances, 18 innings, 10.61 ERA

I don't see much changing for these guys going forward.....good news? They are playing at fancy "big" schools...bad news, almost ZERO chance of being drafted and are getting minimal playing time

too bad
Wonder what color the grass is at their new schools

Back