• xjohnx

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Who would win between the following teams?

5. ViCtorioUs - Gerald Henderson, Bernard Harris, Sherron Mills, Nicky Jones, Marc Jackson, Vince Wilson, Antoine Willie, George Price

or

9. xjohnx - Dom Jones, Michael Doles, Willie Taylor, Troy Godwin, LF Lickolitov, Fred Brown, John Thompson, Bradford Burgess

Jackson, Godwin and L.F. would certainly clog the middle. Whoever wins this game is going to have to shoot the treys. I think the critical matchup is Nicky vs. Dom. It's unfortunate that many of you never got to see Nicky play. I also think Super 'Nard's outside shooting would be pivotal.

I agree that this game will likely be settled beyond the arc.

Nicky and Dom will be one matchup to watch, Dom shot 38% from deep throughout his career, 43% his senior season.

Willie Taylor is always a threat from deep, holding the VCU record for most 3's scored in a single game, at 7.

Michael Doles is the only other player on either of these two teams to grace the list of most 3PT FG's scored in a single game, at 5, turning what would have been a blowout loss into an overtime win on Senior night against UNCW.

And let us not forget young Bradford Burgess who shot 43% from behind the NEW 3pt line. You'd have to imagine if he was playing on the old 3pt line that number would be even higher.

I think you could be overlooking another result of all the big men clogging up the lanes, and that is the charity stripe.

A good bit of this could be settled at the foul line. There are few better at drawing contact and getting to the line than WIllie Taylor. Willie Taylor got to the line 426 times in his 3 years at VCU, and when he got there, he made them count by converting on 79% of those. That's 5 trips to the charity stripe a game for the big man. He's had MULTIPLE games where he got to the line 16 times!

a tie?

ok....lemme think about how to handle this. Anyone got any ideas?

Actually...my first inclination is to go to an expert.

If either of the Mike's (Lito's or Harris) want to chime in...I'd love to hear the experts take on this one.

EDIT* MAN!!! I just had a random idea that's either really great or really dumb...I'd love to get the T Man's take on this game. I may try and track down Terry Sisisky, who knows...maybe we can get a quick recorded opinion on this game...and let him decide

Natty said:
a tie?

ok....lemme think about how to handle this. Anyone got any ideas?

Actually...my first inclination is to go to an expert.

If either of the Mike's (Lito's or Harris) want to chime in...I'd love to hear the experts take on this one.

EDIT* MAN!!! I just had a random idea that's either really great or really dumb...I'd love to get the T Man's take on this game. I may try and track down Terry Sisisky, who knows...maybe we can get a quick recorded opinion on this game...and let him decide

I say all of the above

Litos
Harris
Sisisky

American Idol Style.

If any of those guys aren't available, I'd recommend Mike Ellis.

I would think that the T-Man would be the best judge in this situation as he is the only one of the aforementioned to have seen all these players play in a Rams jersey.

xjohnx said:
Litos
Harris
Sisisky

American Idol Style.

If any of those guys aren't available, I'd recommend Mike Ellis.

I think I'm gonna go with the 3 Mike's on this one...and go with the best 2 out of 3. I know at least two of them post on here, so if you guys catch this by any chance...feel free to chime in on the board. Otherwise I'll just shoot some emails and post the results on this board... Winner moves on to the final.

I would think that the T-Man would be the best judge in this situation as he is the only one of the aforementioned to have seen all these players play in a Rams jersey.

I've seen all of the players on these two teams play and it was a very difficult decision for me. If the two teams played ten times, each would probably win 5. I will not say who I voted for as no one will be wrong on this one no matter who they voted for as the winner.

I've got one of the Mikes breakdown's already and he has it a 30 point blowout...

I'll wait till I get all the responses until I post them...

Got another Mike breadown and he also has this one ending in a blowout... waiting on one other and I'll post them all

Ok I'm gonna kill the suspense and give the 2 responses I've got from Mike Ellis and Mike Harris so far which ends this matchup and let's us move on to the final...(I've gotta go to work so wanted to get that posted)..

I know John knows the Mike's so I gave them the question in a Team 1 v. Team 2 format...ViCtorioUs being Team 1, xjohnx 2

Mike Harris of http://www.VASportsNow.com

Seriously?
Team 1 in a blowout. 30 points.
Gerald Henderson had a 14-year NBA career and was part of four championship teams. Harris played in the NBA. Mills was drafted but carved out a nice career overseas. Marc Jackson became a star in the A-10 and spent some time in the NBA (I did not follow him as a pro so I know nothing about the extent of that career). By George Price, I assume you mean Tic Price? Very underrated player who did well at VCU and Virginia Tech.
Team 2 has some very nice players, for sure. But it is not at the level of Team 1.

VCU basketball is a hot item these days for good reason. But high-level basketball for the Rams is not new. The teams of the late 70s and early 80s were really, really good.

Mike Ellis, VCU Assistant AD

Team 1 hands down. A little too much of everything. Way too much firepower inside (3 NBA draft choices) - and Team 1 has incredible length to match its athleticism. Mills and Harris could play both ends of the floor, while LF struggled on the offensive end. Marc Jackson provides power and finesse and has no match on Team 2. Throw in Gerald Henderson - another NBA guy - at the point and the decision is easy. Team 2 MAY enjoy an advantage on the wings in terms of talent, but not enough to save the day in the end. Antoine Willie's defense would eliminate one of their wing guys, leaving Team 2 with an advantage at only spot - the small forward.
This one is easy for me - Team 1 wins 88 - 67.

I feel VidiCated. But what an honor to make it to the finals. All these players were great and as I've stated it is a shame that many of you have not had the pleasure to see some of these guys play.
Len Creech
Jabo Wilkens
Jesse Dark
Bernard Harris
Richard Jones
Gerald Henderson
Calvin Duncan
Ro Lamb
Mike Schlegel
Nicky Jones
Phil Stinnie
Bernard Hopkins
Willie Taylor
Dom Jones
Nick George
Eric Maynor
Larry Sanders
And many others. These guys are my heroes and always will be.

I love Mike Harris's comment about being high-level basketball. I also love the fact that there is a new generation of Ram's fans that appear to have the esteem and fanatacism that the older fans have. Also, I am enjoying these fantasy games and it is great to have VCU talk in the dog days of summer!!

A little after the fact...but john, this may make you feel a little better...

Michael Litos of www.VASportsNow.com, http://caahoops.wordpress.com/, and author of Cinderella: Inside of the Rise of Mid-Major College Basketball

Sorry--out of town at a family reunion but don't want to leave you in the lurch. Quickly, I'll take Team #2. I'll justify on the boards Monday, but at first blush: Scoring PG who is also a leader in Dom; versatility and scoring with Doles; scoring and atlhetic ability in Taylor; beef (Godwin) and size (LF).

Back