VCU Football-"we are winless"

ShoeSh1ne said:
The current economic climate simply doesn't allow it.

Throw in the fact that our last president chose to build the university instead of a team and there you go. This conversation may get serious in 3-5 years though.

I have been hearing that for 40 years.
In the mean time everybody that we were in the old Sun Belt with has started - South Alabama will start next year. How come its the right time for everybody else but us.

Another good point

GP: The problem is that it's not that simple. I'm sure VCU would love to commit the resources to keep Jeff Capel from going to Oklahoma and Anthony Grant from going to Alabama, but they simply don't have the resources to commit. And it's not like OU and UA have those resources because of basketball. They get the money to buy VCU's coaches from revenue produced thanks to football, and, more specifically, from being in a BCS league. So that's the problem. If VCU was in the Big 12 or SEC, it wouldn't lose its basketball coaches to the Big 12 and SEC. The conference affiliation makes it difficult to compete. For proof, consider that Memphis and Xavier (perhaps the two best non-BCS programs) both lost their coaches this season, and they replaced them with assistants. Memphis -- coming off four Sweet 16s and with a $250 million arena that is sold out every game -- couldn't get Baylor's coach, Tennessee's coach, USC's coach or Florida State's coach to leave the BCS. That should tell you something

we're not losing coaches to every directional U and cullinary college that starts a football team... we're not even losing them to any old D-1/fbs schools... we're specifically losing them to BCS schools. The money they're getting isn't just a matter of ticket and tshirt sales... it's from the gianormous television contracts that the BCS teams get ...it's not the Central Floridas, Appy States, or even Boise States stealing our lunch

We are losing our coaches to Football Tv contracts-ACC avg athletic budget is 53 mil with only 5.5 going to BB-SEC-65 mil with 5.1 to BB, Big Ten 67 mil with 4.9 to BB. Whats ours 1.5 mil?

I rest my case your Honor.

so it's not that we should just add football... heck, Nevada and Memphis both have football and had coaches poached ... we just need to add BCS football ...it shouldn't be all that hard... just leapfrog all the fcs and most of the lower fbs teams that don't get a TV payday and lose money and just go right to the top

artRAMinMN said:
so it's not that we should just add football... heck, Nevada and Memphis both have football and had coaches poached ... we just need to add BCS football ...it shouldn't be all that hard... just leapfrog all the fcs and most of the lower fbs teams that don't get a TV payday and lose money and just go right to the top
:lol: :lol: :lol:

VCU Football while I would love it and think we need to add it..it wont stop our coaches from going anywhere. Bama, Oklahoma VT etc their football programs pay for all of their other sports.

VCU football would just be hoping to break even for the first couple of years

Every person who has said anything about starting football here at VCU knows its going to take years and years to possibly get to the I-A level such as VT or OU and maybe we'll never make it. But putting it off year after year after year is not getting us any closer. ODU has a three year head start on us now, do they not? If these BB coaches are leaving for money, how can we afford to pay them more than our whole BB program budget?

Memphis pulling out a big gun in their BCS hopes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation

Memphis' hiring of former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese opens up all kinds of speculation about the conference.

It's no secret that the Tigers have been trying their best to work their way into a BCS conference. They've felt left behind ever since the Big East took Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida for football and DePaul and Marquette for basketball out of Conference USA in 2005

It's time for Virginia Commonwealth University to give some serious thought to football. Our new president says we would have to study it. Well, let's study it! I have no idea wether we can support football, but let's get started with a well defined study. It could do no harm.

VCU would win at FBS given the means and ways. And then our basketball teams would be much more successful.

I would hire someone like jimmy Johnson or Don Strock to make it happen. Maybe get Trump onboard for stadium naming rights. And get er done. A new exit off 95. Trump Field at Ram Stadium NEXT LEFT!

Sounds like a Dick Sander setup 4life. Every other CAA-like college has 5 year plans. VCU could do it in one. VCU has the 25 year plan. VCU football will happen. Seems like it has to. Where you staying?

BTW, I sent my "we are winless" rant to the good Dr. but no reply as epected. Guys against Football here, I doubt you can realistically win any type of argument against starting a team. Maybe in your mind.

vcu70 said:
BTW, I sent my "we are winless" rant to the good Dr. but no reply as epected. Guys against Football here, I doubt you can realistically win any type of argument against starting a team. Maybe in your mind.

We don't have the money. We don't have the resources. There isn't an argument to be had here. If you have the money and the support, it's a no-brainer. We don't. Case closed.

vcu70 said:

Well I guess it's just a foregone conclusion then, nothing can stop the juggernaut now.... how high have the donations climbed? Clearly rational questions about the sustainability of finances and demand cannot stand in the way of the because-we-want-it unicorns. I mean heck, 40+ years of pent-up demand created a merch rush equal to about 6 years of ODU basketball, and there's no way that pent-up demand ever falls off over time. We'll have to figure out how to solve the problem of having too many corporate sponsors. Soon our name will be on everyone's mind just like UR's, or Montana's, or.. maybe even *gasp* ECU ...oh wait, I forgot that there is a secret deal among the elf kings that run the BCS to let us in once we start a team, so clearly we'll be as big as Ohio State in no time. Glorious!

Back