Vcu has work to do espn watch

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch?id=99
say it like it is:

"Virginia Commonwealth [15-5 (6-4), RPI: 60, SOS: 157] The Rams probably have a softer profile than the other three CAA bubble teams, so they need to make up ground in a hurry. VCU has an RPI top-25 win over Rhode Island, along with a solid victory over Richmond and so-so wins over Nevada and Oklahoma. But the Rams were swept by CAA contender Northeastern and split with William & Mary. They still play Old Dominion twice and might have to sweep to stay in at-large contention. VCU has two bad RPI losses: 83-67 at Western Michigan on Nov. 18 and 75-72 at Drexel on Jan. 6."

rocavean said:
say it like it is:

"Virginia Commonwealth [15-5 (6-4), RPI: 60, SOS: 157] The Rams probably have a softer profile than the other three CAA bubble teams, so they need to make up ground in a hurry. VCU has an RPI top-25 win over Rhode Island, along with a solid victory over Richmond and so-so wins over Nevada and Oklahoma. But the Rams were swept by CAA contender Northeastern and split with William & Mary. They still play Old Dominion twice and might have to sweep to stay in at-large contention. VCU has two bad RPI losses: 83-67 at Western Michigan on Nov. 18 and 75-72 at Drexel on Jan. 6."

All too true, but it won't matter when we dominate the CAA Tournament in March. heck they may have to rename it the VCU Tournament.

D-Hoesevelt said:
rocavean said:
say it like it is:

All too true, but it won't matter when we dominate the CAA Tournament in March. heck they may have to rename it the VCU Tournament.

Rams Invitational ;)

This struck me. Not because I didn't know, but because I didn't expect it to said so bluntly (if at all).

George Mason [15-7 (10-1), RPI: 105, SOS: 204] The Patriots really shouldn't be in the NCAA bubble discussion, but we're compelled to include them because they lead the CAA standings with a 10-1 mark against league foes. Other than that, George Mason has accomplished nothing that would make a compelling case to the NCAA selection committee. Mason's only RPI top-100 win came against Old Dominion on Jan. 2. The Patriots also have three bad road losses, against RPI No. 115 George Washington, No. 179 Radford and No. 252 Tulane. George Mason will probably have to win the CAA tournament to make the NCAA field.

VCU MJ said:
This struck me. Not because I didn't know, but because I didn't expect it to said so bluntly (if at all).

George Mason [15-7 (10-1), RPI: 105, SOS: 204] The Patriots really shouldn't be in the NCAA bubble discussion, but we're compelled to include them because they lead the CAA standings with a 10-1 mark against league foes. Other than that, George Mason has accomplished nothing that would make a compelling case to the NCAA selection committee. Mason's only RPI top-100 win came against Old Dominion on Jan. 2. The Patriots also have three bad road losses, against RPI No. 115 George Washington, No. 179 Radford and No. 252 Tulane. George Mason will probably have to win the CAA tournament to make the NCAA field.

Yet ESPN gave George Mason an 8 PM tv slot on ESPN2 vs. Charleston, and VCU got a 4 PM tv/web slot on ESPNU vs Akron (RPI probably near 140 now). hmm, must be different departments handling the BB games over there at ESPN.

VCU MJ said:

That is the truth for them. If they lose 2 or 3 more CAA games they will probably be officially out. I like the bubble watch rather than the bracketology. Gives you a much better idea of where teams are at and what they have to do to get in.

mrCAA said:
VCU MJ said:

Yet ESPN gave George Mason an 8 PM tv slot on ESPN2 vs. Charleston, and VCU got a 4 PM tv/web slot on ESPNU vs Akron (RPI probably near 140 now). hmm, must be different departments handling the BB games over there at ESPN.
Haha, you honestly think this wasn't the intention all along? ESPN is working with the big conferences and the NCAA to work AGAINST mid majors to screw us. They know a good BB matchup could get us a healthy shot at an at large... so they give us 140 Akron... while Mason has no shot so they get CofC...

We need to beat them next Tuesday. A statement would be lovely. Get the Black and Gold fans up to Fairfax!

We have work to do and something to prove but espn gives us Akron as our Bracketbuster hmmmmm

VCU indeed has a lot work to do. Hopefully remaining personnel on the team will remember these circumstances next year and realize we did not necessarily have to be in this position we're in now.

We're currently engaged in our own BracketBuster situation. It's called the remainder of the CAA regular schedule. Will a win against Akron help us in at-large consideration? Probably not, unless they go on a run after we beat them and win out. Will wins against UNC-W, ODU x2, GMU, Drexel, JMU x2 help us? Absolutely.

Control what we can control. It seems to be a theme throughout, but unfortunately, I think that gets lost, particularly away from the Seigel Center with people not playing within their roles.

We just have to roll with this and fight the good fight against "the man" (collectively ESPN, NCAA, power conferences) later.

We'll need to win out in the CAA to have a really compelling at-large story. And even though a win over Akron cannot help our NCAA hopes, losing to them would certainly hurt our NCAA hopes. Just win baby - - and let the chips fall where they may.

23-5 and 14-4 with a 2nd or 3rd in the CAA will put us in contention for a bid. Follow that up with two wins in the CAA tourney (let's assume a champ game loss) and we'll sit at 25-6 and 16-5. We'll be in the conversation.

It's going to happen.

We're currently engaged in our own BracketBuster situation. It's called the remainder of the CAA regular schedule. Will a win against Akron help us in at-large consideration? Probably not, unless they go on a run after we beat them and win out. Will wins against UNC-W, ODU x2, GMU, Drexel, JMU x2 help us? Absolutely.

you make a very valid point.

i've read more than a few posts suggesting that we're getting "screwed" or forgotten about. the fact remains that we lost two games (drexel, @ home vs. NU) that we probably shouldn't have lost. in my mind, these two games cost us a good bracketbuster. should we have gotten a better game? absolutely. we didn't, so we move on.

vculee hits the nail on the head. the rest of the season is our bracketbuster. for those complaining that we aren't getting a fair shot, i disagree. the fair shot is in the form of three games aginst odu and mason. if we can manage to win 2 out of 3, or even all 3, we're rolling.

the team can either complain about it, or embrace the angry underdog role and go out and beat the CAA teams who did get good BB games. my vote is for the latter.

agreed...welcome to 4th place...this is how a 4th place team in the 11th ranked conference gets treated....lets do something about it....still got screwed by BB tho

Win out in conference, we are definitely top 4 and will not play Friday night. This is a real possibility for this team if they play to their potential. They have destroyed teams at times like no one else in the CAA this year. This team can be scary good when they are playing within the team concept and playing their collective a**es off. With a win in the BB, that puts us at what 23-5. Who would have predicted that finish after losing our best player ever and one of our best coaches ever. This conversation could very easily be very, very different right now. A lot of people involved in VCU Basketball have done a lot of right things and deserve credit for our results so far.

Unfortunately, if we accomplish the above feat and win two in the CAA tournament but not the championship, I am afraid we would just be a bubble team at that point; maybe in, maybe not. That sucks, especially considering how well we did OOC this year. The deck is definitely stacked in favor of the BCS cartel.

Now for the silver lining to this ramble. My wife was in Louisville this past weekend visiting her two brothers who are U of L grads and basketball diehards. One was pontificating about how VCU would never amount to anything and how we screwed up not getting into a better conference and how much cooler U of L basketball is and blah, blah, blah. She let him finish his rant and then asked how many Cards games he had been to since he graduated (about 15 years ago)? The answer; 2. She went on to tell him about how maybe this is not big, big time basketball on ESPN every other game, etc. but we enjoy going to every game every year with primo seats and we are part of something pretty special with kind of a family feel to it and that we can call the AD by his first name and we can have a regular chat with the coach.

Of course he didn't get it, but we do.

Go RAms !

[quote="BOOMShakalaka

Haha, you honestly think this wasn't the intention all along? ESPN is working with the big conferences and the NCAA to work AGAINST mid majors to screw us. They know a good BB matchup could get us a healthy shot at an at large... so they give us 140 Akron... while Mason has no shot so they get CofC...[/quot

BINGO

Back