News VCU lands commitment from German pro Jacob Patrick

I like the rhythm and speed that he plays (from the youtube clips). It sounds like he has received some excellent teaching from some pros in Germany. Can't wait to see him in a 4-Out set and the ball moving around the horn for an open 3.

Coached, and coached correctly! Patrick is efficient and precise in his movement and set up, this goes way beyond a qucik release on his shot. When you watch film from this past season and focus on Patrick you will nice strong V cuts, will notice he brushed off screens, and see that he doesn't round off his movement. Watch has he cuts and then comes off a screen, he efficiently is already squaring up head to feet to basket and is extending his hands toward the "passer" before the pass is even thrown ( on many occasions anyway). These little details provide a better oppotunity to catch and shoot without rushing since the work has been down before the ball arrives. It is often these little details that are hardest to get a player to make routine. I am not saying he is "ready" upon walking in the door, but I am saying that his early coaching and his detail to the fundamentals make him more ready that most.

Perhaps I am incorrect but European players seem to be much more fundamentally sound than American players. I think European players are primarily taught to play and think about playing a fundamentally sound game. Americans players get some of that of course but they seem to also be taught they have to stand from the completion by being a flashy, trend setting, finesse type player. I think this can lead to players trying to overplay their game.....they don't let "the game come to them" as a former HC said.

Perhaps I am incorrect but European players seem to be much more fundamentally sound than American players. I think European players are primarily taught to play and think about playing a fundamentally sound game. Americans players get some of that of course but they seem to also be taught they have to stand from the completion by being a flashy, trend setting, finesse type player. I think this can lead to players trying to overplay their game.....they don't let "the game come to them" as a former HC said.
In Europe there are no high school teams. They learn from skills coaches early. Americans still dominate the sport. Jokic said as much in his presser when asked about Euro players.

Coach Odom talked about the dynamics of recruiting Eruo players who are in a Pro league. They do not lose eligibility if they only take a per diem and do not sign for $. It also depends on how many years they are in a league before they begin losing college years. For instance, if Patrick would have played another season or maybe two he would have been a soph instead of a freshman. It is in the podcast for the most recent coach's show.

Last edited:
Who would stay in an European league for a per deim and not get NIL money and also the difference then between being a college freshman or sophmore is negligent at best. Lots of gray area. As far as being fundamentally diff between college and european players like @BradRamFan was asking is becoming blurred too IMO.

Who would stay in an European league for a per deim and not get NIL money and also the difference then between being a college freshman or sophmore is negligent at best. Lots of gray area. As far as being fundamentally diff between college and european players like @BradRamFan was asking is becoming blurred too IMO.
Euro guys can’t technically get NIL while playing in America. Which might make them appealing to recruit to a place like VCU.

Coach Odom talked about the dynamics of recruiting Eruo players who are in a Pro league. They do not lose eligibility if they only take a per diem and do not sign for $. It also depends on how many years they are in a league before they begin losing college years. For instance, if Patrick would have played another season or maybe two he would have been a soph instead of a freshman. It is in the podcast for the most recent coach's show.
Its getting harder to stay interested in this crap.

Its getting harder to stay interested in this crap.
In regards to recruiting Euro players or in general? Euro sports are different so they need to play on club and pro teams. American high school players have AAU, high school or prep school. When game time rolls around it is all about who is earring VCU and how they are playing. Just block out the other stuff and it is a bball game.

Well, if we're going to buy into stereotypes, you can also say that Americans tend to be more athletic and physically gifted then European players. You're less likely to play flashy if you do not have the physical tool to pull it off.

In 2023 a lot of these assumptions are becoming blurred. Luka can chuck up bad shots and turn the ball over with the best of them.

Coached, and coached correctly! Patrick is efficient and precise in his movement and set up, this goes way beyond a qucik release on his shot. When you watch film from this past season and focus on Patrick you will nice strong V cuts, will notice he brushed off screens, and see that he doesn't round off his movement. Watch has he cuts and then comes off a screen, he efficiently is already squaring up head to feet to basket and is extending his hands toward the "passer" before the pass is even thrown ( on many occasions anyway). These little details provide a better oppotunity to catch and shoot without rushing since the work has been down before the ball arrives. It is often these little details that are hardest to get a player to make routine. I am not saying he is "ready" upon walking in the door, but I am saying that his early coaching and his detail to the fundamentals make him more ready that most.
Another thing I noticed is that when receiving a pass on the perimeter, he tends to go straight up with his shot rather than trying to move closer. He' rather have that wide open 28 footer than a 24 footer that is more likely to be challenged. No fear. I like that a lot when he makes it.

I base this on the decades of coaching experience that I don't have.

Another thing I noticed is that when receiving a pass on the perimeter, he tends to go straight up with his shot rather than trying to move closer. He' rather have that wide open 28 footer than a 24 footer that is more likely to be challenged. No fear. I like that a lot when he makes it.

I base this on the decades of coaching experience that I don't have.
You have plenty of coaching experience, just not paid for all the coaching from the stands or keyboard.;) Based on many of your good calls for strategy and other observations, perhaps you should be sent a stipend time to time.

Back