VCU makes Sweet 16

Are they on crack?

Don't get me wrong, I love VCU. However, most of my gen. ed. classes were ridiculously easy. Upper level courses were tougher, but aren't they supposed to be?

this is friggin nuts.

i too would love to see some data on this. who knows, maybe things have changed in the 8 years since i graduated, but i highly doubt it.

heck, i TRIED to stay longer than 4 years because i was having fun, and still managed to graduate on time.

i graduated with a major in beast light consumption, with some criminal justice classes mixed in. so easy it was almost a joke.

Pavarotti said:
Are they on crack?

Don't get me wrong, I love VCU. However, most of my gen. ed. classes were ridiculously easy. Upper level courses were tougher, but aren't they supposed to be?

I know that in a lot of the undergrad School of the Arts classes... at least on the visual/fine arts side of things... the profs used to be (and maybe still are?) very VERY stingy with the As, and even somewhat hesitant with the B pluses... and since the studio classes were so subjective, there wasn't really any way to argue. The flip side of that is that it was relatively easy to get a B/B-, and you had to actively self-sabotage or abandon a class to get worse than a C (plus studio classes are like labs in that you put in two hours per credit instead of one-to-one). The art history or criticism classes were a bit more classically curved I think. Now in grad school the As were more available, but at the same time the effective studio time to credit hour ratio, while officially still 2-to-1, was really expected to be 4 or 5 to 1... plus they had us teaching the sophomore undergrads, and we TAs were even stingier graders than the profs.

ArtRAM is right. They run a very tight shift here in the ComArts department, and they let you know that from day one. I've heard it's the same in the Graphic Design department and across some of the other SotA departments as well. I'm not sure what the average GPA is across SotA but I would not be surprised if it was somewhere around 2.4 or 2.5.

Back