VCU Media Mentions

From Lunardi’s 16 Thoughts about the Sweet 16…

No. 14: Can you name the only team so far in this postseason to win multiple true road games? That would be VCU. The Rams have won NIT first- and second-round contests at Villanova and South Florida, respectively. They will now visit Utah on Wednesday in the quarterfinals with a trip to Hinkle Fieldhouse as the prize, and I like their chances. For what it's worth, the Utes wouldn't play Utah State when current VCU coach Ryan Odom was the Aggies' head man.

All the NCAA tournament games played have been on neutral floors. Did Cincy or ISU have road games? Utah?And when I think of Utah Utes basketball...crickets
:D

From Lunardi’s 16 Thoughts about the Sweet 16…

No. 14: Can you name the only team so far in this postseason to win multiple true road games? That would be VCU. The Rams have won NIT first- and second-round contests at Villanova and South Florida, respectively. They will now visit Utah on Wednesday in the quarterfinals with a trip to Hinkle Fieldhouse as the prize, and I like their chances. For what it's worth, the Utes wouldn't play Utah State when current VCU coach Ryan Odom was the Aggies' head man.

Probably because the head coach at Utah came from Utah State. Ryan Odom replaced him at Utah State. I highly doubt is was because Ryan Odom was the Utah State coach. Lunardi needs to do better research before making statements like that.

Probably because the head coach at Utah came from Utah State. Ryan Odom replaced him at Utah State. I highly doubt is was because Ryan Odom was the Utah State coach. Lunardi needs to do better research before making statements like that.
RO actually stated post the USF game that he believed he would have eventually scheduled them but it didn't make sense at the time

The two schools have played 224 times, but just once since 2010.

Lundardi wasn't saying Utah wouldn't play Utah State because of Ryan Odom. He's saying Utah won't play Utah State, period, and they never played Utah State while Ryan was there because of that.

Lundardi wasn't saying Utah wouldn't play Utah State because of Ryan Odom. He's saying Utah won't play Utah State, period, and they never played Utah State while Ryan was there because of that.
Right. VCU and Virginia Tech comes to mind.

So a coach at Emporia University shamelessly puts up a post giving half the story on how profitable MBB is so he can likely convince his school to increase his salary. He is taking a sample of 4 extremely (and uniquely) successful mid major programs and only portraying the revenue side. GMU has fallen into obscurity and spends more than it generates in revenue. Prior to the Final 4 run VCU paid its coaches under $600k per year. So that $5M he cites doesnt even cover the coaching added salary expense.
Now there is an argument to made that athletic success greatly increases admissions, athletic specific donations and University name recognition. But I dont think a "Nobody" coach from a "Nothing" program should be the spokesperson for this. He would be a better spokesperson for why some smaller schools/ programs (like Emporia) should stop funding their programs at high levels and invest some of that money elsewhere in the University system. Good place to start would be by cutting tools like Coach Doty's salary in half.

***Edit***
It seems he moved in from Emporia to Houston Christian Univ (HCU) another University that shouldnt be throwing millions away chasing unicorns in quest for athletics excellence

Last edited:
Now that the season is complete and my emotions have returned to normal, I want to express some gratitude. The VCU community is better off for having two media entities that produce content and enhance our community.

The Ram Nation platform is a gift. Yeah, it's a gift I pay for, but the value far exceeds what I contribute. From the articles and videos to the message board, I am thankful for the efforts that make it all happen. VCU fandom is enhanced by the presence of Ram Nation.

Additionally, I am thankful for the Rams Rewind Podcast. I am an avid listener and appreciate the passion and insights that come from that effort. I am quite sure it is not a money maker, but everyone involved is engaged in a labor of love. I shoot them some cash, but again, I receive more that I give. Rams Rewind enhances VCU fandom.

Thanks to all involved.

Now that the season is complete and my emotions have returned to normal, I want to express some gratitude. The VCU community is better off for having two media entities that produce content and enhance our community.

The Ram Nation platform is a gift. Yeah, it's a gift I pay for, but the value far exceeds what I contribute. From the articles and videos to the message board, I am thankful for the efforts that make it all happen. VCU fandom is enhanced by the presence of Ram Nation.

Additionally, I am thankful for the Rams Rewind Podcast. I am an avid listener and appreciate the passion and insights that come from that effort. I am quite sure it is not a money maker, but everyone involved is engaged in a labor of love. I shoot them some cash, but again, I receive more that I give. Rams Rewind enhances VCU fandom.

Thanks to all involved.
Let me also thank Robby and Rodney for the radio broadcast. I ALWAYS, turn down the TV volume and play the radio broadcast when watching games. I appreciate what you both do for VCU.

Let me also thank Robby and Rodney for the radio broadcast. I ALWAYS, turn down the TV volume and play the radio broadcast when watching games. I appreciate what you both do for VCU.
I have enjoyed the Black and Gold podcast..entertaining

As the producer of the show, thank you for listening and donating. I’ll be sure to pass this along to George.

Back