VCURamNation/RRR: Pierria Henry commits to VCU!

districtballer

Elite Member
4l3yw9.jpg

The Rams have secured a HUGE commitment from 6’4, 186 pound combo guard Pierria Henry (incorrectly listed as Perry Henry on several sites) out of South Charleston high school in West Virginia. He is a Big East level player who sported a number of Division 1 offers including West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Xavier among others. ESPN gives Henry at a 92 grade which would make him the highest-ranked recruit according to that service that VCU has garnered a commitment from since ESPN started their recruiting service. He was a two-sport standout for the Black Eagles starring at wide receiver and defensive back in football. Henry led them to 2 straight state championships in the sport and was named MVP in the state championship game this year . He’s no slouch on the basketball court either, scoring his 1000th point as a junior on February 11th. He was named Mountain State Athletic co-Player of the Year (with Wake Forest commit Chase Fischer) and 1st team All-State West Virginia. He was recently named MVP of the All-Ohio Nike Cup AAU tournament, leading his WV Wildcats 17U team to the title with 21 point, 9 rebound game in the final. Henry can do it all averaging 16.2 points, 8 boards, 6 assists, and 5 steals per game this past season.

Rivals Profile: unranked, offers from West Virginia, Xavier, Virginia Tech, VCU, Marshall, Ohio, Akron, Cleveland State, and Delaware.

ESPN Profile: 92 grade, considering Akron, Marshall, West Virgina, Xavier, and Virginia Tech.

Scout profile: unranked, offers from West Virginia, Xavier, Akron, and Marshall.

Read more on the VCURamNation homepage or The Ram Recruiting Report!

http://theramrecruitingreport.blogspot.com/2010/05/pierria-henry-commits-to-vcu.html

http://www.vcuramnation.com/2010/05/pierria-henry-commits-to-vcu/

Huge get for the VCU coaching staff and especially Coach Mike Jones who was primarily involved in Henry's recruitment.

Yowza

Welcome aboard

Impressive credentials, to say the least. Looks like he is choosing roundball over that other sport with the oblong ball....perhaps having "Basketball As King" at VCU was a deciding factor (and of course...proximity and our general awesomeness)

Man I love being a ram. While everyone else hates on our coaching changes they keep leaving us with NBA players... This guy said the same thing as reddic, I want to play in the NBA. Guess that ain't happening at odu or gmu, vcu is where u have to go!

Ramball said:
Great pick-up!

Hope he heals quick also..... http://wvgazette.com/Sports/PrepSports/201004211049

Yeah if you read the articles I go into that. During the AAU season, Henry had a deep thigh bruise during his MVP performance at the All-Ohio Nike Cup tournament in Columbus, Ohio (he was Tournament MVP), a week later he was kneed again in the same spot at the Pitt JamFest AAU event at Pitt. He developed a blod clot and had to undergo emergency surgery. He's expected to make a full recovery, but won't be able to play AAU this summer or play football in the fall (all the better since he's a D1 level football player). He'll be ready to go for basketball season this fall. It came together pretty perfectly for VCU as far as keeping him out of the eyes of other high-major coaches this summer and football coaches in the fall. This kid is a stud, 1st-team All State WV, 92 ESPN, offered from Marshall after freshman year, offered from West Virginia after his sophomore year, recently offered by Virginia Tech this spring in addition to mid major offers from Xavier, Ohio (we've been beating them out a lot lately), Akron (them too), Cleveland State, and Delaware in addition to VCU.

Welcome aboard Pierria!!

From what I just read about his family, I think we should give his mother a scholarship as well!

She sounds like an incredible woman!

WOW! Impressive to say the least!

With Kasey Wilson and now Henry...I can only imagine how good the next two commits will be!

This coaching staff is shooting lights out on the recruiting trail!

MarcusNation said:
Welcome aboard Pierria!!

From what I just read about his family, I think we should give his mother a scholarship as well!

She sounds like an incredible woman!

Indeed, working two jobs as a single mother caring for 5 kids, with one of them in jail is admirable indeed. Pierria is a great young man who has had to grow up without a father and has become one to his little sisters in the absence of his incarcerated brother. I truly hope he acheives his goal of making it to the NBA. The staff loves him and he is a big-east level player all the way.

vcu_dan said:
Man I love being a ram. While everyone else hates on our coaching changes they keep leaving us with NBA players... This guy said the same thing as reddic, I want to play in the NBA. Guess that ain't happening at odu or gmu, vcu is where u have to go!

You can add Veal to that list as well.

He instantly reminds me of one of my all time favorite VCU players Jesse Pellot-Rosa aka JPR.

Ram Nation and RRR you guys are insanely informative and this is a pleasant surprise on an other wise boring Monday at work.

Welcome to the VCU family Pierria!

now that is great news to start out a week on. welcome aboard.

db, i have also see it spelled pierra are we sure which spelling is correct?

mwalvlior said:

Also saw it hyphenated somewhere.

ramramthankyoumaam said:
mwalvlior said:

Also saw it hyphenated somewhere.

i think it was rivals that has it pierri-a

Back