VERY nice words from ESPN on Darius Theus!

districtballer

Elite Member
Since signing with VCU, Darius Theus has been bumped up from an 87 to an 89 and jumped up to the 20th ranked PG in the class of 2009 according to ESPN! ESPN.com National Recruiting Director Paul Biancardi had some VERY nice words about our most recent signing.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...l?season=2009&schoolId=2670&page=briefingroom

New Virginia Commonwealth head coach Shaka Smart landed his first recruit over the weekend when guard Darius Theus committed to the Rams. Theus visited VCU and Virgina and considered Duquesne and Marquette.

ESPN.com National Recruiting Director Paul Biancardi breaks down Theus' game.

"Darius is a point guard who has excellent speed with the ball and can get into the lane at will," said Biancardi. "When he penetrates he can get to the basket and finish with a lay-up or pull up in the middle ramge and knock down jump shots between 12-15 feet. He has a tremendous knack for reading defenses and knowing when to go all the way to the rim or pulling up."

"Although he's a set-up point guard who can create he can and will make open 3's, though he doesn't take a lot," he said. "He shoots at a high field goal percentage and is usually judicious in his attempts, but if you ask him to score he will."

Theus's athleticism also allows him to excel on the defensive end of the floor.

"Darius is a very good on-the-ball defender because of his quick hands," Biancardi continued. "He also has the toughness and attitude to fight through screens and always keep his man in front of him. He's also good at anticipating passes and coming up with steals."

Biancardi says that Smart has made nice splash with his first commitment.

"Darius is a winner. I.C. Norcom High in Portsmouth, Va., was 22-3 (13-1 in the league) in Class AAA, the largest public class in the state," he said. "He competes all the time and will immediately help the first year coach Smart on the court. It's an outstanding get for coach Shaka Smart who was a perfect fit to take over the reigns at VCU. Darius is a good teammate that other guys will enjoy playing with."

I like what I'm seeing in the last week or so. Things were a little shaky for a minute with Joey leaving and Ben's uncertainty, but with the completion of our coaching staff and the acquisition of Theus, things are defin itely getting Brighter. If Ben decides to stick around it will make for an interesting season at the lvery east. Can't wait for all those ODU and GMU boys to put the foot in their mouth.

Whoooosh said:
I like what I'm seeing in the last week or so. Things were a little shaky for a minute with Joey leaving and Ben's uncertainty, but with the completion of our coaching staff and the acquisition of Theus, things are defin itely getting Brighter. If Ben decides to stick around it will make for an interesting season at the lvery east. Can't wait for all those ODU and GMU boys to put the foot in their mouth.

Definitely sounds like we got a sleeper that could end up being VERY good for us. I'm excited. He's ranked higher than either Villarino or Eblen by ESPN now. :shock: :)

Gotta love the size too. 6'4, 185 lbs. That's a big point guard in the CAA.

First off you have to love that size, he will create matchup problems for four years. Also if he is right handed playing behind Eblen and G.J. will be a nice change of pace.

Also I love hearing that he is a finisher, since Maynor is gone we desperately need finishers. Always great to hear about a good defensive player joining the team.

GO RAMS! and Welcome to RamLand Darius!

so we could end up with THREE of the top 30 PG's in the nation? that'd do wonders to ease my worries about the 1 spot.

xjohnx said:
so we could end up with THREE of the top 30 PG's in the nation? that'd do wonders to ease my worries about the 1 spot.

VCU Basketball, our future is so bright we have to wear shades :ugeek:

xjohnx said:

I felt it move.

xjohnx said:

But hopefully not create any PT/transfer problems :?

david coxxx said:
xjohnx said:

Not when we have no point guards and we're applying full-court pressue all game. The fact that there all freshmen means they'll all need plenty of rest. Having 3 highly skilled point guards to run the offense in a full court press is a luxury. 8-)

districtballer said:
david coxxx said:
xjohnx said:

Not when we have no point guards and we're applying full-court pressue all game. The fact that there all freshmen means they'll all need plenty of rest. Having 3 highly skilled point guards to run the offense in a full court press is a luxury. 8-)

Not to mention, it makes scouting and game planning that much more difficult. By the time the players on the court get used to what Theus is doing, bam, Eblen's in.

districtballer said:
Yup. Not to mention we have Gavin already at the 2. :shock: 8-)

If we ever need quick threes we will be great

Theus
Gavin
Burgess
Skeen
Rozzell
are all capable of shooting and making three point shots

Yeah, im totally not worried at all now :D

except the chins seem to be a little longer on these smiley faces...WTF is up with that???

Back