VUU preseason standing

I don't know much about last years squad. The VUU site still has last years roster posted, but it looks like they return everybody from that team.

The VUU team is always strong, well coached and can present challanges to any team not ready to play. They would love to beat the Rams but I think we are too deap a team and have the man in the middle who changes the outcome w/ his defensive presence if he stays out of foul trouble. Glad to see that we are still playing VUU our neigbors down the street.

this year the game is apparently coined as, "U.S. Army Downtown Showdown."

senor ram said:
The VUU team is always strong, well coached and can present challanges to any team not ready to play. They would love to beat the Rams but I think we are too deap a team and have the man in the middle who changes the outcome w/ his defensive presence if he stays out of foul trouble. Glad to see that we are still playing VUU our neigbors down the street.
This post says it best. Every year they have a team capable of beating many D1 teams. We just try not to be one of them. If we play a solid game then they shouldn't be a problem, but if not they are capable of getting a win. I would expect them to come out strong and play us tight in the first half before we take over in the second. They did lose Thondique to graduation who if I recall correctly played a very good game against us last year.

On a some what related note does any one know why we are not playing Virginia State this year? That one was usually fairly well attended as well and provided a nice tune-up. Have we replaced it with any type of lower profile D1 scrimmage? I know some teams do that.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
On a some what related note does any one know why we are not playing Virginia State this year? That one was usually fairly well attended as well and provided a nice tune-up. Have we replaced it with any type of lower profile D1 scrimmage? I know some teams do that.

There is a closed scrimmage against a well regarded D1 team this coming weekend.

Mercury said:
MarcusNation said:
this year the game is apparently coined as, "U.S. Army Downtown Showdown."

A check is a check

You, my friend, are preaching to the choir!

I was just enlightening some to the nickname. It was the first time I had heard that name associated with the game. Sorta like how the Farm Bureau game against the high school across town is called, Black and Blue Classic.

xjohnx said:
There is a closed scrimmage against a well regarded D1 team this coming weekend.
Not going to give us any hints to about who it is?

Deuce said:
xjohnx said:
Not going to give us any hints to about who it is?
In a way he has. He doesn't appear to be willing to reveal the team name, but I suspect that he strategically used the phrase "well regarded" to eliminate VT or UVA from the realm of possibilities.

Doesn't Longwood or Radford have a good team this year with a good center?

EDIT: It is Radford
Parakhouski was a member of the Belarus team at the European Junior Championships, and Ton — who is now a Radford assistant — liked what he saw. Big, physical, athletic. The perfect size to be an impact Division I player. Ton’s vision was prescient, of course. Parakhouski stormed onto the Big South scene last winter, averaging 16.2 points and 11.2 rebounds per game on his way to earning conference player of the year honors. Tuesday, he was honored as the preseason player of the year at the conference’s annual media day.

He would be a good match up for us.

ramathon74 said:
No, that is us. I know Radford made the NCAA tourney last year. Although Longwood has been improving I don't think they are expected to be particularly good this year.

ramathon74 said:

EDIT: It is Radford
Parakhouski was a member of the Belarus team at the European Junior Championships, and Ton — who is now a Radford assistant — liked what he saw. Big, physical, athletic. The perfect size to be an impact Division I player. Ton’s vision was prescient, of course. Parakhouski stormed onto the Big South scene last winter, averaging 16.2 points and 11.2 rebounds per game on his way to earning conference player of the year honors. Tuesday, he was honored as the preseason player of the year at the conference’s annual media day.

He would be a good match up for us.

I had heard a different team (A10) tossed around.

Not really concerned about where VA Union is ranked. After all, they are a division I-AA school. My main concern is that we get rid of some of the dust from not having played a meaningful game since early march against UCLA. My other main concern is that none of our guys get injured since it is an exhibition game.

CAARamFan09 said:
Not really concerned about where VA Union is ranked. After all, they are a division I-AA school.

They're a division II school.

Back