Welcome - DJ, Reco, Juvonte, Toby, & Rob

As a VCU grad and a basketball fan, I say welcome to VCU!
We all are excited to have you here. We all will cheer for you and some of us will get on you about things. That's what family does. Don't let anything go to your head. You haven't done anything yet. Work hard, study hard and the rest will fall into place. This program has been growing for years. We have had success and with you guys coming in we can perhaps reach new levels. Don't take anything for granted. Stay humble and hungry. Reach for the stars. Yet remember where you came from. When you put that jersey on, you represent a great number of people. Family and friends expect you to carry yourselves properly. We are a VCU family. I'm so darn ready for next season its not funny. GGGGGGGGGooooooooooo, RRRAAAMMMMMSSSSSS

:D

Here's a brief overview of VCU's class, which should be by far the CAA's most impressive.

Reco McCarter: ESPN 91 (#30 SF), Rivals 3-star (formerly Rivals150-#128), Scout 3-star (#38 SF), #188 overall according to Bob Gibbons, #186 overall according to Hoopscoop. Sported offers from over half of the ACC at some point during his recruitment. He also visited Georgia and Oklahoma before committing to the Rams. Top 10 player in North Carolina according to Scout.com and 2-time 1st-team All-State selection. He's a 6'7 wing with a ton of athleticism and NBA 3-point range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ4MSPgwYBg

Juvonte Reddic: ESPN 90 (#20 C), will receive strong consideration for a Rivals150 spot after his senior season this spring as per Brian Snow at Rivals.com, Dave Telep of Scout.com listed him as 'one of the top uncommitted post players in the country'. Sported offers from Maryland, Oklahoma, and Mississippi but cancelled all his visits after taking an official to VCU this weekend as per his high school coach. Sports a 3.5 GPA and strongly considered to be a late bloomer with high-major game. He runs the floor, blocks shots and has range out to 20 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBT4jDJ1dsU

Rob Brandenberg: ESPN 86 (#93 SG), #11 overall player in Ohio according to Rivals, just led his team to a victory over the #1 nationally ranked Columbus Northland Vikings, led by #1 overall 2010 recruit Jared Sullinger (Ohio State). His team is now ranked #9 in the nation. One of the top sleepers in Ohio whose game exploded over the summer. Sported offers from Butler, Marshall, Ohio, Akron, and Wright State among others. The 6'2 guard has explosive athleticism and a great first step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g6kEtEhtRc

DJ Haley is one of the top sleepers on the West Coast. He is relatively unexposed but has a ton of upside. His a 1/4 of an inch below 7 feet with a long wingspan and runs the floor extremely well for his size, he has been described as having good athleticism and soft hands but is still mechanical and raw with his post moves. He sounds a lot like Larry Sanders coming out of high school and sports the same 78 ESPN ranking Sanders did. Greg Hicks, Scout.com's West Coast recruiting co-ordinator has him ranked as the #8 center on the West Coast. Dave Telep mused upon his signing "It's kind of mind-boggling to think the guys out west missed on him. After all, he is [6-11¾], smart and has natural ability and talent. When I saw him last June I thought he might be a late bloomer." Haley sports a 4.0 GPA along with offers from Iowa State, Colorado, Drake, and Wyoming according to his high school coach. He will pursue an engineering major at VCU.

Our last recruit is Toby Veal. He is a junior college player who played his freshman year at Colorado over offers from Florida State, Auburn, Miami Fl., Tennessee, Virginia Tech etc. He was a Rivals150 recruit out of high school. He was an ESPN 88 grade (#25 SF) in 2008 as a high school senior. His commitment is the least certain as he is still being courted by one SEC program. He may or may not suit up for the Rams next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLf4D7VM9IU

Call me a premature pontificator but I can't remember being this excited about a recruiting class.

With an experienced, winning group of seniors to lead these guys next year, the future of VCU basketball seems particularly bright.

Yeah, looks like the Shaka critics may have to go crawl back under their rocks.

VRam said:

Naw, the tool trio is trying to find out what these guys don't have so they can harp on that

Mercury said:
VRam said:

Naw, the tool trio is trying to find out what these guys don't have so they can harp on that
1. to many large big men
2. Shaka hasn't brought in any 5 star recruits yet

:lol: :lol:

These kids are ready to go next year. I'm not 100% sure Veal is coming from an article I posted yesterday on another thread, but I wanted to show all these kids that VCU Fans are excited. I was thinking of naming the thread the VCU 5 or something creative. Any ideas??? Just for fun!

MarcusNation said:
No taunting please.
PS%200607%20PARTY%20POOPER1.gif

Mercury said:
VRam said:

Hardly. Most of the recruits seem to be great kids, have good grades, and lots of basketball upside. I hope they all pan out!

That doesnt change anything from my perspective though. Nobody is crawling back under any rock.

myrtlebeachramfan said:
Are these recruits made aware of this site?
Do they browse the threads?

whether or not they are made aware, almost everyone under 20 years-old has a blackbelt in Google Fu

maybe its a little bit of wishful thinking, but I can picture a scenario where Toby Veal decides to go to the SEC program and Issiah Grayson or David Hinton transfer. Im a big fan of grayson, but I cant see either ever getting significant minutes in a rams uniform and so there could be a possibility of them going elsewhere. Im probably mistaken, but is Hinton on scholarship or is he a walk-on?

r4m said:
maybe its a little bit of wishful thinking, but I can picture a scenario where Toby Veal decides to go to the SEC program and Issiah Grayson or David Hinton transfer. Im a big fan of grayson, but I cant see either ever getting significant minutes in a rams uniform and so there could be a possibility of them going elsewhere. Im probably mistaken, but is Hinton on scholarship or is he a walk-on?

Hinton is a walk-on. Hinton leaving does not help VCU regarding scholarships. My money is on Saintill leaving. He still has 2 years of eligibility plus a redshirt year. He has been in Coach Smart's dog house too many times this year.

Back