Wikipedia Site on VCU

I googled VCU and brought up the Wikipedia site. Its quite extensive and up to date. I did find this concerning future construction on the Monroe Park Campus.

Read below, but it says: "Franklin Street Gym - due to the opening of the new Cary Street Rec Facility, the Franklin Street Gym will be demolished and have dorms put in place of it."

This is the first I have heard of this and its not mentioned in the VCU 2020 plan. Granted, I believe people can edit this site, but does this statement have any validity?

Here is the website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_C ... University

Future Plans
Monroe Park Campus

Cabell Library - Renovation and expansion of Cabell Library, called the "Information Commons"
A Parking garage on Grace and Belvidere that will serve as an eastern gateway to VCU
Monroe Park Campus Art Gallery - a 20 million dollar art gallery that will be built on the southwest corner of Broad and Belvidere. The new location would establish the gallery as the western anchor for the First Fridays Art Walks.[7]
General Academic building - a $44 million, 102,000-square-foot classroom building on Floyd Avenue across from the Student Commons that will house the School of Social Work and the Department of English[8]
Grace Street Housing - Possible Greek housing along W. Grace St and other upper class dorms
Franklin Street Gym - due to the opening of the new Cary Street Rec Facility, the Franklin Street Gym will be demolished and have dorms put in place of it.
Monroe Park - a complete renovation to the historical Monroe Park which will make it a focal point on the Monroe Park Campus[9]

swimmer said:
I googled VCU and brought up the Wikipedia site. Its quite extensive and up to date. I did find this concerning future construction on the Monroe Park Campus.

Read below, but it says: "Franklin Street Gym - due to the opening of the new Cary Street Rec Facility, the Franklin Street Gym will be demolished and have dorms put in place of it."

This is the first I have heard of this and its not mentioned in the VCU 2020 plan. Granted, I believe people can edit this site, but does this statement have any validity?

Here is the website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_C ... University

Future Plans
Monroe Park Campus

Cabell Library - Renovation and expansion of Cabell Library, called the "Information Commons"
A Parking garage on Grace and Belvidere that will serve as an eastern gateway to VCU
Monroe Park Campus Art Gallery - a 20 million dollar art gallery that will be built on the southwest corner of Broad and Belvidere. The new location would establish the gallery as the western anchor for the First Fridays Art Walks.[7]
General Academic building - a $44 million, 102,000-square-foot classroom building on Floyd Avenue across from the Student Commons that will house the School of Social Work and the Department of English[8]
Grace Street Housing - Possible Greek housing along W. Grace St and other upper class dorms
Franklin Street Gym - due to the opening of the new Cary Street Rec Facility, the Franklin Street Gym will be demolished and have dorms put in place of it.
Monroe Park - a complete renovation to the historical Monroe Park which will make it a focal point on the Monroe Park Campus[9]

I believe I just read article the other day in RTD about the gateway parking deck.

http://www.finance.vcu.edu/pdfs/related ... OV%20(FULL)%20May07%20BOV%20Six-Year%20Capital%20Plan%2008-14%20FINAL.pdf

Maybe this will help some

All the other future projects have been listed or known. It was the comment about tearing down the Franklin Street gym to make way for dorms was new. Just wondering if someone else had heard of this effort.

It's all part of growth. Tearing down that gym IMO would be a great thing. Not too long after that i suspect they would build a new practice facility. With growth comes change.

I seem to recall hearing that after the new athletic center was opened, that the siegel center gym would be converted to a private training center for student athletes (including MBB practice facilities.)

xjohnx said:
I seem to recall hearing that after the new athletic center was opened, that the siegel center gym would be converted to a private training center for student athletes (including MBB practice facilities.)
Wouldn't be surprised at all. Cary and MCV will be so nice and can accommodate the students IMO.

I had heard this a couple of years ago...it was my understanding that the demolition of Franklin St. gym was put on hold when AG was hired because he wanted it for practice. When Cary St. gym opens is sounds like the rec center at Siegel will be used for mens/womens bball.

Emit Remmus said:
I had heard this a couple of years ago...it was my understanding that the demolition of Franklin St. gym was put on hold when AG was hired because he wanted it for practice. When Cary St. gym opens is sounds like the rec center at Siegel will be used for mens/womens bball.
Probably not the whole center, but i can certainly see them taking that basketball court. But then you don't think about all the logistics. They use that court for everything during the year. High school graduations, pregame functions during the season, etc.,,,. I never thought of that before.

vcubanana said:
Probably not the whole center, but i can certainly see them taking that basketball court. But then you don't think about all the logistics. They use that court for everything during the year. High school graduations, pregame functions during the season, etc.,,,. I never thought of that before.

I bet a lot of those functions could be moved next door to the conference rooms at the sports med building though.

Maybe they can dismantle the Gym and sell it to the University of Alabama.

Hey this is pretty neat, thanks I am actually the guy who has been working on the VCU wiki for this past summer when I find free time at my work. My friend (a VCU alum) has taken the pictures and I updated the site and added the stuff about the future VCU future plans. I got all the plans from the VCU masterplan. I think it shows on the map on pg.23 that the location for Franklin st gym will be student housing. I'm pretty sure the main reason they are going to get rid of it is because there will be a new pool in the new rec facility and the inside is pretty worn. The basketball team probably will just move their practice facility over to the siegel center. I needed another picture for the VCU athletics section. If anyone has a good picture of maybe another VCU sport that would be awesome to put it in there.

IbleedVCU said:
Hey this is pretty neat, thanks I am actually the guy who has been working on the VCU wiki for this past summer when I find free time at my work. My friend (a VCU alum) has taken the pictures and I updated the site and added the stuff about the future VCU future plans. I got all the plans from the VCU masterplan. I think it shows on the map on pg.23 that the location for Franklin st gym will be student housing. I'm pretty sure the main reason they are going to get rid of it is because there will be a new pool in the new rec facility and the inside is pretty worn. The basketball team probably will just move their practice facility over to the siegel center. I needed another picture for the VCU athletics section. If anyone has a good picture of maybe another VCU sport that would be awesome to put it in there.

Some VCU volleyball pictures here:

VCU vs Maryland: http://johntatum.smugmug.com/Sports/VCU ... 5642_nHRcU
VCU vs Kansas: http://johntatum.smugmug.com/Sports/VCU ... 2062_5Cexv
VCU vs Kansas (remote camera): http://johntatum.smugmug.com/Sports/VCU ... 2619_mUtvZ

And tons of VCU basketball here: http://johntatum.smugmug.com/sports/

Feel free to use them for the Wiki.

Hey xjohnx
I tried putting your picture on Wiki but they had a bot that deleted it because I do not own the copyrights. I think it would be best for you to upload the picture to Wiki and put it on the site. This way Wiki doesn't think I'm infringing on your copyrighted material. I personally like the picture 16 of 106 in the VCU vs SDSU group

Back