WILL VCU MAKE HISTORY THIS YEAR?? Yes or No

We are on the verge of making hitory in the upcomming season....No other team in the league has won 4 consecutive regular season tittles and on top of that if we win the championship game we would be tied with the University of Richmond for most championships at 5......The question becomes do we have the potential to make history this year with a new coach and a new starting point gauard....Personally I believe we will make history this year and exceed expectations...just wondering what you guys think.... :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

I think my expectations usually start a little too high...

That said, IF Skeen is as good as I'm hearing...and Larry has progressed some on the offensive end, then I say yes. Sure, we don't have the all-world point guard, but we return a ton of talent and have some serious talent in the front court.

I'm afraid I won't be able to settle for anything less than the CAA regular season title, CAA championship, and 2nd round penetration into the NCAA tounament. YES. :D

ramramthankyoumaam said:
I'm afraid I won't be able to settle for anything less than the CAA regular season title, CAA championship, and 2nd round penetration into the NCAA tounament. YES. :D
I concur...... :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

ramramthankyoumaam said:

Ya betta believe it! :D

Barring unforseen hurdles, the Rams will likely be betting-line favorites about 24 times, out of what looks to be a 28-game slate. That should translate to a bit more hardware in the trophy case.

The Rams could be slight road underdogs at Mason, ODU - possibly Wilmington, and perhaps at home vs. the Sooners.

Of course the key to all this is Sanders' wondrous defensive intimidation. When "Smooth" stretches out those limbs, it's like holding a shotgun on the chain gang ... he's in total control. Look for a less than 38 percent overall shooting percentage by the opposition - a paltry 21 field goals a game, perhaps

Aside from the Wooden Award candidate, I'd rate the Rams as average (by CAA standards) at every other position on the floor. And even then, Sanders is above average only at the defensive end.

Don't fret. That's good enough. Navy had just one above average player in winning the CAA tournament three straight times - 85, 86, 87. Indiana State had just one above average player en route to the Final Four in '79.

Skeen is the wild card here and the most logical exception to this evaluation.

I really don't know what to expect from the Wake transfer. I'll delay judgment until some issues are resolved. It is encouraging to note that his statistics at Wake were solid across the board, and not top-heavy with his more profitable outings against weaker non-ACC foes.

It's not like he averaged 10 ppg vs. Campbell, Winston-Salem and N.C. A&T ... then zero ppg vs. Duke, UNC and BC - which would come out to a misleading 5.0. His numbers vs. ACC foes were quite similar to his figures outside the league.

Bless my soul! Did I actually detect a note of optimism in 'horn's post? What is the world coming to?

I would disagree a bit in saying that Burgess, Gavin, Skeen and possibly Rozz all have the potential to be above average in the CAA. Call it a gut feeling, but I'm thinking that at least two of these players may have monster years. Let me temper my statement by saying I'm always cursed with unbridled optimism this time of year. My last thought before falling asleep is Larry cutting down the nets at the final four. :oops:

Two thoughts on this...

With regard to Skeen...anyone who was at the average skill level in arguably the best conference in basketball (the ACC), is automatically above average in the CAA.

I think the key is not necessarily how many above average players a team has, but how few below average players a team has.

Rambunctious said:
Two thoughts on this...

With regard to Skeen...anyone who was at the average skill level in arguably the best conference in basketball (the ACC), is automatically above average in the CAA.

I think the key is not necessarily how many above average players a team has, but how few below average players a team has.
I like that.... :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Rambunctious said:
Two thoughts on this...

Truth...Marc Egerson is a prime example

r4m said:
Rambunctious said:
Two thoughts on this...

Truth...Marc Egerson is a prime example
My thoughts exactly while reading this post.

I'd take Egerson's offense, obviously, but if Skeen isn't far superior on the defensive end, I'll be shocked.

For all of his skill with the ball and on the boards, Egerson was an absolutely terrible defender --and par for the course on a Delaware team that rarely guards anyone.

Smart won't tolerate a lack of effort/intensity on D, ACC pedigree or not.

bighorn said:
Barring unforseen hurdles, the Rams will likely be betting-line favorites about 24 times, out of what looks to be a 28-game slate. That should translate to a bit more hardware in the trophy case.

The Rams could be slight road underdogs at Mason, ODU - possibly Wilmington, and perhaps at home vs. the Sooners.

Of course the key to all this is Sanders' wondrous defensive intimidation. When "Smooth" stretches out those limbs, it's like holding a shotgun on the chain gang ... he's in total control. Look for a less than 38 percent overall shooting percentage by the opposition - a paltry 21 field goals a game, perhaps

Aside from the Wooden Award candidate, I'd rate the Rams as average (by CAA standards) at every other position on the floor. And even then, Sanders is above average only at the defensive end.

Don't fret. That's good enough. Navy had just one above average player in winning the CAA tournament three straight times - 85, 86, 87. Indiana State had just one above average player en route to the Final Four in '79.

Skeen is the wild card here and the most logical exception to this evaluation.

I really don't know what to expect from the Wake transfer. I'll delay judgment until some issues are resolved. It is encouraging to note that his statistics at Wake were solid across the board, and not top-heavy with his more profitable outings against weaker non-ACC foes.

It's not like he averaged 10 ppg vs. Campbell, Winston-Salem and N.C. A&T ... then zero ppg vs. Duke, UNC and BC - which would come out to a misleading 5.0. His numbers vs. ACC foes were quite similar to his figures outside the league.

Here's VCU's in conference schedule

Two games–ODU, JMU, William & Mary, UNCW, Ga State, Northeastern, Drexel.

I'll say underdog @ ODU, @ NU. maybe even home against NU(they did win @ the SC), and possibly even @ G-State. I think Georgia state could be a total wild card and even though their arena situation sucks(It's wayyy worse then matthews arena) they play pretty decently at home. Add in the Harris Sanders matchup and that's gonna be one helluva game.

single games–Towson, Delaware, Mason, Hofstra.
I think your single game schedule is really winnable esp with UD getting as banged up as they are. TU UD should be overwhelming favorites and Mason you'll be the underdog, but watch out for HU their backcourt might cause some trouble for you guys this year.

Let's look at your OOC:
Bethune Cookman(gimmie), Oklahoma, Nevada, Rhode Island, Richmond, Western Michigan(gimmie), Tulane(gimmie), East Carolina(gimmie).

So you should win at least 4 of those games OOC right off the bat. OU you won't be the favorite. URI prob will be the favorite(even after losing Baron) and if I recall right doesn't Nevada bring almost everyone back? I don't think you'll be the favorite in that game either.

So to say your the betting line favorites:

I see 8 or 9 games at least where you won't be the betting line favorite and the reality is you'll likely lose some games you should win. I wouldn't put VCU as the favorite this year by a long shot, I still think it's ODU or NU's to lose.

I wouldn't call ECU a gimmie lol..hopefully we don't need a 70 foot shot this time. I think we win the conference..Same teams at the top as usual

No way will we be underdogs to URI or Nevada. Both home games. No way will we be an underdog to NU at home either. I don't buy that @Tulane or the EZU games are gimmies. As far as ODU and NU being the CAA favorites this year I say bring 'em on. I can't remember the last time we were picked to be first in the conference, but I like our chances.

Back