Wreaking Havoc

Rambunctious said:
major ram said:
could have been 10-18 without it for that matter. your comment is typical...i stated my preference for up tempo you like 1/2 court defense....good for you....tiresome you are .... try some new schtick sometime....

You may call yourself Major Ram, but among other things, you are exhibiting a minor sense of humor.

Rambunctious....you always say things that remind me of my 6 year old daughter...

ramathon74 said:
I hope next year when we "Wreak Havoc" that it will mean we have less turnovers than the other team. VCU had 17 turnovers last night to 13 for GWU. I think in the last 5 games, only once did we have less TOs then our opponent.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/MBB/200910/boxscores/vcu0316.htm?DB_OEM_ID=8500

Like I said before, we just reek when it comes to team defense.

More data, re: turnovers:
As of 3/14:
*We turned the ball over an average of 12.3 times per game, which ranked 60th nationally out of 334 Division I teams.
*We led the CAA and ranked 21st nationally in steals per game (8.6).
*We ranked 46th nationally in turnover margin (2.1). **Ranks second in CAA**
*We ranked 36th in assist to turnover ratio (1.2). ***Ranks third in CAA**

--Through yesterday, we were forcing an average of 14.5 turnovers per game, 1st in the CAA.

rollins77 said:
ramathon74 said:
I hope next year when we "Wreak Havoc" that it will mean we have less turnovers than the other team. VCU had 17 turnovers last night to 13 for GWU. I think in the last 5 games, only once did we have less TOs then our opponent.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/MBB/200910/boxscores/vcu0316.htm?DB_OEM_ID=8500

Like I said before, we just reek when it comes to team defense.

More data, re: turnovers:
As of 3/14:
*We turned the ball over an average of 12.3 times per game, which ranked 60th nationally out of 334 Division I teams.
*We led the CAA and ranked 21st nationally in steals per game (8.6).
*We ranked 46th nationally in turnover margin (2.1). **Ranks second in CAA**
*We ranked 36th in assist to turnover ratio (1.2). ***Ranks third in CAA**

--Through yesterday, we were forcing an average of 14.5 turnovers per game, 1st in the CAA.

pug_face.gif

The press can put up stats in a few categories. Interestingly ODU was second in steals playing a half-court D (less than 1 steal per game behind us).

The lasting memory I have of our press this year is someone on the other team scoring on the other end of it. Whereas the year we beat Duke the memory I have of the press is that it created a lot more havoc for the other team.

This year we ranked 6th in the CAA in points allowed and 9th in field goal % allowed...i.e. easy layups at the end of our press just as often as we got turnovers. We were 5th in blocked shots in the CAA with one of the best shot blockers in the nation. These additional defensive numbers illustrate the complete story of our press.

I love the debate - - we don't have to agree on what style the Rams should play. I'd just like to see us play a style that gives us the very best chance to win.

"The lasting memory I have of our press this year is someone on the other team scoring on the other end of it. Whereas the year we beat Duke the memory I have of the press is that it created a lot more havoc for the other team. ......I love the debate - - we don't have to agree on what style the Rams should play. I'd just like to see us play a style that gives us the very best chance to win.[/quote]

I agree. It just seemed too easy on the other end. I also seem to remember Michael Anderson actively stepping up to take charges.

If there was one thing that Dongo could do very well it was being the point man on the press. That guy could cover the court from sideline to sideline almost as quick as the pass across court. It was his pressing in the Duke game that put us in position for "THE DAGGER".

As for the comments about the press this year, if you are saying a ratio of 1:1 turnovers versus opponent scoring I think it would be more like for every turnover we got the opponent got at least 3 or 4 scores.

there is a stat for that somewhere...tooo lazy to look it up... :D
have said it before but IMO the purpose of the press is not necessarily to create a steal each time as much as it is to disrupt and wear down the opponent and take them 10-15 seconds into the shot clock
give me havoc or give me death...I like the uptempo ad I think it works...

How are you going to wear the ball handler down when he breaks the double team almost everytime and hits the open man down court for a easy basket?

I think Shaka will adjust the press and defense next year. In his first year as a head coach he probably has so much going on in his head during a game that he's not as likely to always make the right calls - - totally different situation next year with some knowledge of the CAA, some experience under his belt and a very veteran team.

JDI said:
How are you going to wear the ball handler down when he breaks the double team almost everytime and hits the open man down court for a easy basket?
define "almost everytime"....is that a majority of the time = almost everytime
when any press breaks down it is more obvious especially if the offensive team scores an easy basket. I think (and apparently you disagree) that we do a good job on the press more often than not...i.e. a majority of the time which is your vague almost everytime.
I prefer uptempo. Does the press get broken? Sure, but overall it is a defense I prefer we play as opposed to a 51-49 borefest that is now ODU.

It is an exciting yet risky style. Hopefully we will improve next year with the majority of the guys having a year in the system and are able to stick with it. I think the coaching staff will adjust as well as Rambun said after having a chance to analyze tape from this year and studying when it works and when it doesn't.

Rambunctious said:
I think Shaka will adjust the press and defense next year. In his first year as a head coach he probably has so much going on in his head during a game that he's not as likely to always make the right calls - - totally different situation next year with some knowledge of the CAA, some experience under his belt and a very veteran team.

Couldn't agree more....anyone who has never coached or taught really can't truly empathize with what it's like to be "in the trenches" with a bunch of young people on a daily basis. As much as I teach my kids and convey knowledge and skills....they also help me to grow and improve as well. So, all the negativity towards Coach Smart and Co., while somewhat understandable from a fan perspective, is ultimately shortsighted and ignorant (based on a sample size of ONE season).

I think the 2010-2011 season will be a lot of fun for most of us and happily suprising for a few others ;)

As I said in another thread awhile ago, Grant's first team set the gold standard for pressure. Sadly, his subsequent teams didn't create nearly the same amount of distress for the opposing teams. For me, it was his first team against which I measure all of the other teams we put on the floor with respect to defensive intensity. None measure up, yet, but I'm still hoping.

Back