Chief Diversity Officer

I don’t think I want to be an alumni of any school with VD in its name!

I thought about that but couldn't resist.

We can agree, though, that going to college is all about the diversity.

I know when freshmen come home for the first time, their parents don't ask about English, science, math or technology classes, or even cafeteria food ... the first question is always "how's the diversity?"

That's what pays off in the end - Diversity.

Two things and i am not going to debate this so this will be my only statement. Dealing enrollment is a national issue not a VCU issue. In fact VCU’s decline is slightly less than the national average if I remember correctly from the last time you brought thi up. @nd, you seem to only be focusing on diversity of the student body and not the faculty and staff.
For the record, I dont think this thread should have been on MBB but Off topic and I dont think people can have a real discussion without invoking politics which I try to avoid because you have a better chance at winning the lottery than changing the vast majority peoples opinion of a parties “talking points”

I'm looking at VCU enrollment situation on a Regional enrollment against schools with similar profiles: odu, vcu and Mason are all 4 year public institutions with heavy commuter student componeht.

ODU has suffered slight enrollment but VCU enrollment has declined 10% over the past 5 years. On other hand, Mason's enrollment has increased r 30-33% in the same time frame.

So, what is Mason doing that to garner that type of success which others school including VCU arent!?

To my way of thinking, A chief diversity officer does not do anything to attract students.

Sure we need diverse representation in all our departments. But how can VCU hire professors of any diverse makeup if you can't fill the classrooms?

I think addressing the legacy aging like building structures Johnson or Rhoades need to be given higher priority.

Parents on move in day want to make sure their kids are not staying substandard Living conditions. Don't give parents a reason to reconsider their kids choice.

Last edited:
I'm looking at VCU enrollment situation on a Regional enrollment against schools with similar profiles: odu, vcu and Mason are all 4 year public institutions with heavy commuter student componeht.

ODU has suffered slight enrollment but VCU enrollment has declined 10% over the past 5 years. On other hand, Mason's enrollment has increased r 30-33% in the same time frame.

So, what is Mason doing that to garner that type of success which others school including VCU arent!?

To my way of thinking, A chief diversity officer does not do anything to attract students.

Sure we need diverse representation in all our departments. But how can VCU hire professors of any diverse makeup if you can't fill the classrooms?

I think addressing the legacy aging like building structures Johnson or Rhoades need to be given higher priority.

Parents on move in day want to make sure their kids are not staying substandard Living conditions. Don't give parents a reason to reconsider their kids choice.
I promised you when I wrote this I was not going to debate it. The debate would require stating arguments not appropriate for the forum so publicly we will just have to agree to disagree on enrollment trends. What I will do is state facts. Fact VCU has declined just under 9% in undergraduate enrollment since the 2013-14 school year with the "big decline" starting with the 2019-20 school year, the year after a Brand new 1500 bed Freshman dorm was opened. Fact, GMU undergraduate enrollment has increased just over 21% over the past 10 years. Since 5 years was the data point you chose VCU -9.6% GMU +7.7%(not 30%). And since I am only going to speak in verifiable facts source of information available below

VCU is expecting the largest freshmen class in school history

VCU is expecting the largest freshmen class in school history
I saw that some freshmen will live in The Graduate Hotel. Two queen sized beds. No laundry but I am not sure I would hate that. Ha! I lived on the 17th floor of Rhoads Hall as a freshman.

I saw that some freshmen will live in The Graduate Hotel. Two queen sized beds. No laundry but I am not sure I would hate that. Ha! I lived on the 17th floor of Rhoads Hall as a freshman.
11th floor here but spent many of days on the 17th floor hanging out with friends

Back