The Portal Process THIS YEAR

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I thought this article was very useful about what the portal is this year (although no one read it before posting and there is some gibberish in there).

Basically, if you remember how insane the portal was last year, just think upon those days as placid compared to what's coming.

The portal CLOSES on 5/1.

Who needs to be scouted? EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN CBB WITH ELIGIBILITY. Every kid playing can transfer an unlimited number of times.

As for retention, if one of your players is considering the NBA/G League, he won't have to (and really won't be able to) make a decision until after the portal closes, so better (a) save some room/money for a return and (b) be careful about what promises you make to incoming players about minutes.

Also, and this is very important, the article predicts (and I agree) that you will see many more players enter the portal this year and ultimately return to their existing team. Player agents will want their clients to enter the portal in order to negotiate more favorable NIL and minute/assignment deals. They will use their leverage any way they can.

We are in full on free agency, in a pro league without a cap, without transfer restrictions, without enforceable contracts with players, and, at VCU, without the resources many of our peers have. It is a grim new day my friends

Last year the portal closing deadline was just to enter the portal, not the deadline to pick your next destination. This remains unchanged, but players have to decide 15 days sooner than last year to enter.

I thought this article was very useful about what the portal is this year (although no one read it before posting and there is some gibberish in there).

Basically, if you remember how insane the portal was last year, just think upon those days as placid compared to what's coming.

The portal CLOSES on 5/1.

Who needs to be scouted? EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN CBB WITH ELIGIBILITY. Every kid playing can transfer an unlimited number of times.

As for retention, if one of your players is considering the NBA/G League, he won't have to (and really won't be able to) make a decision until after the portal closes, so better (a) save some room/money for a return and (b) be careful about what promises you make to incoming players about minutes.

Also, and this is very important, the article predicts (and I agree) that you will see many more players enter the portal this year and ultimately return to their existing team. Player agents will want their clients to enter the portal in order to negotiate more favorable NIL and minute/assignment deals. They will use their leverage any way they can.

We are in full on free agency, in a pro league without a cap, without transfer restrictions, without enforceable contracts with players, and, at VCU, without the resources many of our peers have. It is a grim new day my friends

It is what it is. We'll just have to adjust and work around it like we've done for decades.

Between the scholarship(s)? we didn't use and Kuany/Sean coming off the books you could upgrade the roster and keep everyone. Granted guys will likely want out as upgrades move in.
I keep forgetting the open slots we had this year. That could change the equation a little when it comes to players heading out.

Back