Recruiting Transfer Portal

We've lost players for decades because a major school came in with a late offer
This is not remotely the same. Back then a school might show up and try to get them but the odds weren’t as good as they would have to convince them to meet with them or visit after having their mind made up.

Now a school can be like I heard you are settled on this school. Here’s 4 mil dollars. What do you think now?

While I don't disagree that players were being paid before, under the table, I think it's naive and foolish to think that allowing it to be both open and lawless doesn't greatly magnify the issue. Crime is easier if you don't have to launder the money.
It will, but it will also allow teams that wouldn't break the law previously to enter the field

This is not remotely the same. Back then a school might show up and try to get them but the odds weren’t as good as they would have to convince them to meet with them or visit after having their mind made up.

Now a school can be like I heard you are settled on this school. Here’s 4 mil dollars. What do you think now?
????

Say we have a recruit that's extremely interested. But then, a school with a whole lot more resources comes calling last minute and the recruit goes to that school instead because they see it as a better opportunity.

How is that "not remotely the same"?

While I don't disagree that players were being paid before, under the table, I think it's naive and foolish to think that allowing it to be both open and lawless doesn't greatly magnify the issue. Crime is easier if you don't have to launder the money.
Exactly. You couldn’t do it constantly and it would be caught. Sure you could pay a few under the table but eventually you’ll end up on the radar. Now there is no radar. Make it rain in broad daylight. I don’t know why some fans are choosing to approach nil like well it was always happening so what’s the difference? Maybe it’s just the urge to be in denial of how bad it’s gotten.

We had USC and Wake dusted and then both came with big check books.
This is the type of wildly speculative nonsense that seems to be at the heart of the sky is falling narrative.

We have no idea where we were at with any of these recruits in relation to other schools. For all you know Reid was in on WF from the start. You have no relationship to the dude. Just stuff you read on here. It's nothing but a bunch of message board rumor mill stuff.

99% of this info comes from DL for Christ sake. Dude was reporting Ace leaving PSU for a bigger bag two weeks ago when nobody in the entire ncaam twittersphere was reporting it.

Of course the question is what 'law' is being enforced (however effectively). It used to be they tried to prevent players getting paid at all. That law now seems draconian, unfair, and misguided. If there is a new law to be made, perhaps it should aim to attempt a sustainable level of competitive balance (e.g. salary caps, free agency rules, revenue sharing) which puts less of the burden on the players alone.

I think the big difference between now and earlier is players can transfer each year without having to sit. That combined with NIL is making the situation very fluid. I have no idea how this will all end up but we are pretty definitely in a different place then a few years back to me.

I think the big difference between now and earlier is players can transfer each year without having to sit. That combined with NIL is making the situation very fluid. I have no idea how this will all end up but we are pretty definitely in a different place then a few years back to me.
It'll absolutely be different in a few years. It's different now than it was a few years ago.

Different isn't automatically worse, which seems to be the assumption.

Retaining Joe and Zeb is huge, and if the sky was really falling and VCU was truly as poor as some of you are making it out to be we wouldn’t have been able to keep them.

VCU has been fine. VCU will continue to be fine. Go Rams!

It'll absolutely be different in a few years. It's different now than it was a few years ago.

Different isn't automatically worse, which seems to be the assumption.
Exactly.

Everyone is implying that because it is "different" inherently all talent is moving upwards to P5 chasing money, thus everyone in mid major is now a feeder to P5s, making us in effect a minor league. The notion that because some kids are chasing bags, everyone else must be is a fallacy.

A. Talent has always moved upwards to P5s. This is not a new revelation.

B. Movement is still fluid across the board. Some kids move up, some move down, and some move laterally. The number of kids in the portal just means we have a lot more options on our end as well.

C. It's so bad and we are doomed but we have managed to retain basically our entire team.

Yeah, stuff is a little wild and different, but I have never seen such an overreaction to change. But hey that's the VA way. All change is evil and scary.

Exactly.

Everyone is implying that because it is "different" inherently all talent is moving upwards to P5 chasing money, thus everyone in mid major is now a feeder to P5s, making us in effect a minor league. The notion that because some kids are chasing bags, everyone else must be is a fallacy.

A. Talent has always moved upwards to P5s. This is not a new revelation.

B. Movement is still fluid across the board. Some kids move up, some move down, and some move laterally. The number of kids in the portal just means we have a lot more options on our end as well.

C. It's so bad and we are doomed but we have managed to retain basically our entire team.

Yeah, stuff is a little wild and different, but I have never seen such an overreaction to change. But hey that's the VA way. All change is evil and scary.
You are under the assumption that programs are heavily recruiting our current team. Did you consider maybe they saw that we were a NIT team that mainly got carried by one player who is now testing the nba waters? On one side yes Odom kept the team together. On the other do you think our players would stay if some major was sniffing around for them?

You are under the assumption that programs are heavily recruiting our current team. Did you consider maybe they saw that we were a NIT team that mainly got carried by one player who is now testing the nba waters? On one side yes Odom kept the team together. On the other do you think our players would stay if some major was sniffing around for them?
You use the word "assumption" and then rattle off a bunch of assumptions of your own.

- I have no idea who and how hard teams are recruiting our players and neither do you.

-I would think there are probably around 300 teams that could use an NIT level player. Sounds like you have zero faith in our current roster.

- Crazy how NIL is supposedly going to poach our entire roster but also none of our players are good enough to get an offer??? Lol wut

Hot take time : I think the new landscape of college basketball is fun. Last year, almost entire roster turnover…I’ve never been so plugged in to see what was going on. I lived for those morning “coffee chat” recaps. To me seeing how a team comes together is more exciting than player development over the years.

You use the word "assumption" and then rattle off a bunch of assumptions of your own.

- I have no idea who and how hard teams are recruiting our players and neither do you.

-I would think there are probably around 300 teams that could use an NIT level player. Sounds like you have zero faith in our current roster.

- Crazy how NIL is supposedly going to poach our entire roster but also none of our players are good enough to get an offer??? Lol wut
What player on our roster would a P5 be after? A player isn’t leaving VCU to go down unless they weren’t getting mins so your 300 team comment makes no sense. Max is about the only player a P5 would be going hard after. Outside of him who would a P5 be going after with significant nil? Bam and Lawal maybe?

You were the one talking about things must be ok as the whole roster stayed. This is devils advocate. Because your comments assumes that we warded off P5 teams.

Last edited:
Back