Recruiting Transfer Portal

The numbers in the visit photos don't mean anything, but he might've picked 5 because Bones wore that number here and wears it for the Clippers.
Ah ok, I knew they were friends but got a little ahead of myself on the jersey thing it looks like

Is that 2,600 number right? If so, that's around 50% of all college basketball players on scholarship in the portal. That's absolutely ridiculous.
No. Division 1 and 2 combined..roughly 26%

Speaking of the portal and visits. What happened with Brickus? It was practically a done deal a few days ago.

You think the P5s are paying 10th-12th bench guys the same as we are paying potential starters?

Speaking of the portal and visits. What happened with Brickus? It was practically a done deal a few days ago.

You think the P5s are paying 10th-12th bench guys the same as we are paying potential starters?
He posted his visit photos on Instagram but noted that he had not yet committed.

I’ve seen rumblings of a potential Iowa visit for Brickus, so hopefully we lock him down ASAP

Maybe I'm naive, but I would find it hard to believe that the 8,9,10 guys on the bench at p6's are getting $100K and over.

If Tobi transfers up, I think that is where he is going to be.

NIL is new and shiny right now. Two-three years, money will be less readily available to throw away. For example, last year Kansas spent just over $4 mil to only make it to the 2nd round of the dance, which ties them with two other times in the past 20 years. The other 17 years they actually did better. If they dont do any better over the next 3 years, less is going to be available and they are going to spend less. There are roughly 69 P4/5 schools and all of them wont make the tournament. And less than 15 will make the “sweet 16” which is a marker of success. No NIL was too far to the right and unlimited NIL is too far to the left. The needle will settle somewhere between the two in a couple years

NIL is new and shiny right now. Two-three years, money will be less readily available to throw away. For example, last year Kansas spent just over $4 mil to only make it to the 2nd round of the dance, which ties them with two other times in the past 20 years. The other 17 years they actually did better. If they dont do any better over the next 3 years, less is going to be available and they are going to spend less. There are roughly 69 P4/5 schools and all of them wont make the tournament. And less than 15 will make the “sweet 16” which is a marker of success. No NIL was too far to the right and unlimited NIL is too far to the left. The needle will settle somewhere between the two in a couple years
Unfortunately I think it’s going to ramp up a bit from here. Many P5 schools saw what others are paying, and upped their collective budgets substantially. VA is passing a law that allows athletic funds to be used for NIL, I would venture to bet other states will follow suit. The needle will settle, but it’s got some bouncing off the limiter to do first.

*I am not a doomsday of college sports btw. VCU has been a top 50-75 program and I’ll put a round of drinks on it that VCU will continue to be a top 50-75 program moving forward.

Back