2010-2011 and 2014-2015 amazing similarities.

Our 2011 season is not the blueprint any serious team or coach would use as a path to the Final Four, or even the NCAA Tournament. It was freakish luck. We caught unbelievably hot and played out of our minds. We had guys who barely made tertiary, overseas pro teams outplay future NBA stars. All that 2011 shows is that any team that gets in could potentially get hot and go all the way. But the likelihood is way against that happening. We probably won't see any team in our lifetime (let alone VCU) do that again. Most likely teams that played well and progressed all season will be in the Final Four. To follow the reasoning in this post, if we blew another game in Feb and finished the month 3-5 we would really improve our chances of making a deep run.
You can tell your kid -"hey, blow off school -it doesn't matter. Some people win Powerball" It could work -but most likely won't.

Last edited:
the team from 2011 had way less overall talent but they believed they would win against anybody. They were confident and everyone thought they could score without fear of shooting. This team has more talent but the confidence is nowhere to be found.

I'm sorry but right now I have to disagree with that.... this team is way too young to be saying that right now. All of those guys had a lot of talent... it just gets seen as less because of the level of competition we were playing against. Skeen, Big Shot Brad, J-Rod, B-Rozz, Ed Nixon... had tons of talent.

I will agree with the second part about them being confident & could score with out the fear of shooting.... but honestly right now it's WAY too early to talk about this team being more talented than our Final Four team... especially considering we only have 4 upper classmen (Bri is done for the season).... and other than Tre carrying the load.... none of the others have really truly stepped up consistently. Lewis has done well filling in for Bri.... but the rest of our bench (except Doug who has really turned it on lately).... the rest of the team has been relatively quiet while on the court.... and they are clearly not as fearless as our Final 4 team were.....

And honestly I consider confidence to be a much needed trait / talent.... in order to go out & win ball games every night.... especially in march.... with out confidence.... you have absolutely no shot of winning.... unless the other team is more scared than you are..... which right now.... none of our opponents are afraid of us... like they used to be.

I really dislike comparing 2011 with ANY year. Look, the final four is in the past, where it belongs. This team needs ownership of THEIR season and destiny. They do not need attachment of comparison. I want this team to be confident and aggressive. There is nothing about comparison that is confident.

Last edited:
I don't see many similarities. This team is much younger. 2011 was a very experienced team. But you never know what a good performance at a conference tournament can do for your confidence and chemistry.

Odd statistical fact: Both the 2011 team and 2015 team shoot 48% from deep. :shock:

That surprised me a bit. I would've thought they were better. They however shot a higher percentage inside the arc on the season and had a 2% better effective field goal percentage.

I don't think any of us don't think our current team CAN'T do some damage. I think we just don't think they will after so many ugly games as of late.

No one is left from that team, so maybe Coach Smart can try the ol' toss the month of February in the trash and setting it on fire trick. Maybe it will spark something in them.

Back