2022-23 NET rankings and metrics

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Happy NET day! The first NET rankings of the season have been released:

VCU comes in at #116 in the NET. If it's any consolation, we have the highest average opponent NET in the conference (57).

Interestingly, no Atlantic 10 teams are in the top 50.

Atlantic 10 NET rankings:

#56 Saint Louis
#75 UMass
#98 Fordham (!!!)
#116 VCU
#118 Duquesne
#154 George Mason
#163 Dayton
#170 St. Bonaventure
#178 Davidson
#179 Richmond
#209 GW
#269 La Salle
#286 Loyola-Chicago
#303 Rhode Island
#308 St. Joseph's

Happy NET day! The first NET rankings of the season have been released:

VCU comes in at #116 in the NET. If it's any consolation, we have the highest average opponent NET in the conference (57).

Interestingly, no Atlantic 10 teams are in the top 50.

#56 Saint Louis
#75 UMass
#98 Fordham (!!!)
#116 VCU
#118 Duquesne
#154 George Mason
#163 Dayton
#170 St. Bonaventure
#178 Davidson
#179 Richmond
#209 GW
#269 La Salle
#286 Loyola-Chicago
#303 Rhode Island
#308 St. Joseph's

Initial reactions for the A10:
  • SLU already felt like the only legitimate at-large team entering December. Good to see them #56. They have a home W vs #38 Memphis which is good. We will see how Murray State and Providence end up.
  • Good to see teams like UMass, Fordham, and Duquesne providing early quality results. UMass beat #64 Colorado and #73 Charlotte on a neutral site. Fordham and Duquesne have a lot of wins against bad teams, but it's good to see them winning games.
  • VCU being #116 is about expected since our current KP is 101. Pitt is currently #80 so maybe they will turn some heads this season. Vandy is #119 so they have their work cut out. Arizona State #35 already feels like the one that got away. Temple is down at #155 though I think they are better than that.
  • Dayton being down at #163 is NOT good.
  • I don't see La Salle, Rhody, or St Joe's being better than 250 in the NET so be prepared for those 3 to be landmines.

Last edited:
Initial reactions for the A10:
  • SLU already felt like the only legitimate at-large team entering December. Good to see them $56. They have a home W vs #38 Memphis which is good. We will see how Murray State and Providence end up.
  • Good to see teams like UMass, Fordham, and Duquesne providing early quality results. UMass beat #64 Colorado and #73 Charlotte on a neutral site. Fordham and Duquesne have a lot of wins against bad teams, but it's good to see them winning games.
  • VCU being #116 is about expected since our current KP is 101. Pitt is currently #80 so maybe they will turn some heads this season. Vandy is #119 so they have their work cut out. Arizona State #35 already feels like the one that got away. Temple is down at #155 though I think they are better than that.
  • Dayton being down at #163 is NOT good.
  • I don't see La Salle, Rhody, or St Joe's being better than 250 in the NET so be prepared for those 3 to be landmines.
Rhody could be the trap game to end all trap games, considering they always seem to have our number, especially at their place. Losing to them would definitely end our already slim at-large hopes.

Rhody could be the trap game to end all trap games, considering they always seem to have our number, especially at their place. Losing to them would definitely end our already slim at-large hopes.
The NET is very fluid and things can change quickly. VCU could close out the non-con on a 5 game win streak and be ranked in the Top 100 by A10 play starts. Dayton could upset VT this week and make a huge jump too.

I will say that the initial rankings of Mason, St. Bona, Davidson & Richmond is concerning. Loyola being 286 is NOT good either, but they've looked awful even in wins so I'm not surprised.

#56 Saint Louis
#75 UMass
#98 Fordham (!!!)
#116 VCU
#118 Duquesne
#154 George Mason
#163 Dayton
#170 St. Bonaventure
#178 Davidson
#179 Richmond
#209 GW
#269 La Salle
#286 Loyola-Chicago
#303 Rhode Island
#308 St. Joseph's
as a comparison to the prior year's first NET on 12/5/21
#54 Davidson
#67 St Louis
#72 VCU
#83 Rhode Island
#88 St Bonaventure
#95 Dayton
#98 Richmond
#125 U mass
#149 GMU
#170 Fordham
#211 St Joes
etc.....

Loyola of Chicago was #25 but in the MVC

So it looks as though the sky is falling further in 11 other places than it is in Ramland.

With our remaining schedule, it’s going to be REALLY hard to dig ourselves out of this #116 hole.

It would be interesting to see what our lowest NET rankings were over the last 4-5 seasons while NET has existed, but our margin for error is pretty close to zero now. We can’t afford any bad losses and we need a couple good wins in our limited opportunities.

Our remaining OOC games as they stand today:
Jacksonville Q3
Howard Q4 (#326!)
Radford Q3
Northern Illinois Q4
Navy Q3

Someone else will have to run through the conference games because I don’t have time right now.

With our remaining schedule, it’s going to be REALLY hard to dig ourselves out of this #116 hole.

It would be interesting to see what our lowest NET rankings were over the last 4-5 seasons while NET has existed, but our margin for error is pretty close to zero now. We can’t afford any bad losses and we need a couple good wins in our limited opportunities.

Jacksonville Q3
Howard Q4 (#326!)
Radford Q3
Northern Illinois Q4
Navy Q3

Someone else will have to run through the conference games because I don’t have time right now.

Look at JMU, their schedule is significantly worse than ours but they are absolutely smoking teams so their NET is 40. You either need to beat good teams or run it up on bad teams. Winning our remaining OOC by a 20+ point margin should send our NET under 100 at the bare minimum. Our next 20 point victory will be our first 20 point victory so the odds seem low that we are capable of this.

Last edited:
beat Jacksonville and Navy and Radford by double digits and my guess is our NET entering conference play jumps to around 75-83, or better (you just never know what others will do ) e.g. Jmu loses one bad game they probably drop 40 places

Last edited:

Jacksonville Q3
Howard Q4 (#326!)
Radford Q3
Northern Illinois Q4
Navy Q3

But I expect still highly volatile.

And on a side note Hartford is last in NET without a certain player...

Hopefully Dayton can gain some ground as they close out their OOC. Even if we can efficiency our way to a top 75 NET to end OOC we still need to have more than 1 Q1 game left on the schedule.

That comparison to last year’s NET at this same time is telling. This conference, including us, is headed in the wrong direction. The A10 will be lucky to get 2 bids as it stands now.

That comparison to last year’s NET at this same time is telling. This conference, including us, is headed in the wrong direction. The A10 will be lucky to get 2 bids as it stands now.
The A10 is a 1-bid league as of right now. SLU is the best but they’re not good enough for an at-large bid either.

Back