Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

Not really. Ashworth was never in for VCU. I would not consider that a miss. @N Mollen I can tell you that he got everyone he wanted except Reid. You don't have to believe it but it is true. He wanted Ashworth but he knew off the bat that it was not gonna happen.
You're saying he never tried to recruit him? "He wanted Ashworth" but never talked to him about coming to VCU?

I am saying that it was not really on the table like the other recruitments.
So he wanted him, talked to him about coming to VCU, but was never competitive. Sounds like he wanted him, tried to get him, and missed to me, but I suppose it's just semantics.

So he wanted him, talked to him about coming to VCU, but was never competitive. Sounds like he wanted him, tried to get him, and missed to me, but I suppose it's just semantics.

Sounds to me like he didn't have nearly the "at bats" for Ashworth that he had for Reid. :lol:

Odom never recruited him because he knew he wasn’t an option. That’s not a miss. If so, then I guess Victor Wembanyama is a miss too. I’m sure Odom wanted him too.

It's ok. Every coach misses on recruits. Even when we're talking about the coach's "own guys" when going to a new school (looking at you MR). But a mythology seems to be developing about our new guy that looks a wee bit rose-tinted from my perspective.

It's ok. Every coach misses on recruits. Even when we're talking about the coach's "own guys" when going to a new school (looking at you MR). But a mythology seems to be developing about our new guy that looks a wee bit rose-tinted from my perspective.
Or he didn’t seriously recruit a player that he likes but knew was going to a top P6 school even if he’d remained the coach at USU.

You say it is OK like you are correct. If you want to count it as a miss go ahead. The other phantom misses are off too but go with it. Fine by me.

But a mythology seems to be developing about our new guy that looks a wee bit rose-tinted from my perspective.
I see what you mean. All the folks on here claiming VCU is going to win a national championship next year are jumping the gun. No one is saying that? Well how about all the people claiming the A10 title is a sure thing - they must be saying something that. No? Then what the heck are you talking about? It looks like you are trolling.

I see what you mean. All the folks on here claiming VCU is going to win a national championship next year are jumping the gun. No one is saying that? Well how about all the people claiming the A10 title is a sure thing - they must be saying something that. No? Then what the heck are you talking about? It looks like you are trolling.
Nah, Mollen's just a never too high, never too low guy. I can respect that.

He got benched at least temporarily toward the end of the season and was not guaranteed to start this season by any stretch of the imagination.
for a stretch toward season end they were starting Dji Bailey who replaced Nelson in starting lineup but Dji hurt (bruised) knee and missed last 4 games when Nelson returned to starting lineup (nelson started 26 of 32 games and avg 27.3 minutes a game as a RS freshman
when Nelson wasn't starting he was getting only 7-20 minutes or so unit Dji went down vs VCU and Nelson jumped to 30 minutes or so

I think you are spot on that his role for 23-24 was clearly up in the air based upon who was playing at end of year pre Dji injury and who was returning

He missed on Ashworth as well, and there is no way of knowing who else he really pursued. He clearly offered others that went elsewhere as reported here.
Yes, and he did an incredible job out of the gate under really difficult circumstances. He likely missed on numerous others we may never know about. Regardless, Ed/Ryan get an A for last several months. We aren’t Kentucky.

Back