Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

Fermin and Lawal have one more year of elegibility than Reid and Wheeler. That's not enough to not pursue two elite big men if we can get them. Having all four means we will be better and deeper than anyone in the conference, easily, and only challenged by a few in the country. When has VCU ever had that?
Plus Lawal would be better RS. He has athleticism but he really doesnt understand the game.

That certainly is a viable angle to play if you’re RO and needing to put a respectable roster together under duress. As someone else said, it could help with JM recruits and locals in general if a few of these kids come. I’m just not thrilled with the group of 4 in general.

The best player, Reid, is also the kid who may have to sit a year.

Wheeler is a dice roll, and that may be optimistic.

Bamisile hasn’t stuck anywhere, but we’re to expect that he would fit in here and not be a chemistry or locker room problem?

It’s only what 2 or 3 weeks, but I’m just not seeing much reach or influence being leveraged. I.e trying rather unsuccessfully to this point to retain the best talent that was here already, a couple of his guys from Utah who are likely no better than slightly above average in the A-10, and then a collection locals from the island of misfit toys.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m seeing next year as having a ceiling of no better than MR’s first season.
G you gotta have faith. Let's not call the guys that are staying misfits. Fat could break out, as he essentially RS'd and will know what he needs do this summer better than your average Freshman. Fermin, could give us LS type freshmen year stats, and Lawal can only get better with work.

As to Zeb, all he really needs in confidence and work on his shooting. I see Jamie Skeen where Sken was meh his first year as he didnt want to make waves and really good the 2nd after Larry left. Well Ace is gone, and Zeb is the Alpha. Let's give it a shot.

The die is cast just yet, lets see who we can get before we go all gloom and doom.

Fermin scored SIX points. Come on, man! Don't do Fermin like that! (I think he's got a world of talent and expect him to show it this year)
I agree. Bigs have a tough learning curve as freshman. The kid had a tough year and having John's and a new and improved Delouch didnt help his ability to get minutes. Plus Mike went small a lot because he best lineups were smaller.

IMO either Mike or Fermin and his people did him a disservice by not RS him. This amounted to a wasted year.

Also, OSO Ighdaro SS's/Marquette's 6'9 center had a similar freshman season as Fermin. He only played 5 games with 6 points, 6 rebounds and 1 block for the entire season. He made a leap the next year with 5.5 and 3.3 playing in 32 games for 18 minutes his sophomore year and broke out this past year starting all games with 11.5 , 6, 3.3 assists, and 1.5 blocks. and about 1 steal.

Ighodaro was rated about 134 4 star kid coming out of HS. While Fermin was rated 116 4 Star. It could happen if he works. I agree we shouldn't give up on Fermin just yet. I like his upside. Also, I dont think he needs to start. He just needs about 10-12 minutes next year to build his confidence.

Why do you care if the new players make the team better?

Your logic is nonsensical.

Winning now is what matters.
As far as winning now matters goes....I think Odom will go with two of his USU guys and look internationally. I think he will want to make sure he has a good base of 7 players to get him thru his first year. Reid might have an issue with eligibility so he would most likely have to sit a year if he commits. Not sure how the NCAA will handle waivers for two+ transfers.

Last edited:
As far as winning now matters goes....I think Odom will go with two of his USU guys and look internationally. I think he will want to make sure he has a good base of 7 players to get him thru his first year. Reid might have an issue with eligibility so he would most likely have to sit a year if he commits. Not sure how the NCAA will handle waivers for two+ transfers.
Interesting tidbit/opinion watching Ed's most recent video. Of the 4 named locals visiting this weekend, he felt Reid was the must get player

Interesting tidbit/opinion watching Ed's most recent video. Of the 4 named locals visiting this weekend, he felt Reid was the must get player
Efton was good for LSU as a freshman in the SEC. He just got lost among the other blue chips in Spokane. Dude is (I hope) going to be an absolute dominant force in the A10, and with his (I hope) teammates end the recurring nightmare of VCU being bullied in the tournament.

The real question . . . ok, the SECOND real question . . . is whether he can get a waiver and play this year. He might have to sit, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but would absolutely be the worst thing in the world

OR maybe high level dudes don't wanna play on a cellar dweller team regardless of conference affiliation and ol Rhoadsey has to settle for VCU's sloppy seconds?

Seriously though...Ace can probably hang in the Big10....but JJ and Kern?? I guess we'll see...
Off topic, but McBride…. Going to see Spyro Gyra in Hopewell tonight. Knew you’d appreciate that!

Efton was good for LSU as a freshman in the SEC. He just got lost among the other blue chips in Spokane. Dude is (I hope) going to be an absolute dominant force in the A10, and with his (I hope) teammates end the recurring nightmare of VCU being bullied in the tournament.

The real question . . . ok, the SECOND real question . . . is whether he can get a waiver and play this year. He might have to sit, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but would absolutely be the worst thing in the world
He'd be moving from Spokane to Richmond, I'm sure they can come up with some way to get him a waiver.

Off topic, but McBride…. Going to see Spyro Gyra in Hopewell tonight. Knew you’d appreciate that!
Cool...I saw them once in the summer of '95 at an outdoor festival....was working at a summer music camp in Michigan (near the base of the "thumb" Blue Lakes Fine Arts Camp)....They were TIGHT as a drum and really gave us a sonic experience

ENJOY!!

Adding Reid and Rosevelt will take minutes away from Fermin and Lawel. Is that a good idea? My gut tells me that to keep Fermin and Lawel long-term, they have to play big minutes this upcoming season.
The best player gets the minutes, regardless. If Labron was on our team and Rosevelt stole his minutes..... I'm good with that!

• Haha
Reactions: SWV
Back