Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

From your recent posts, you seem on the negative side regarding our 804 transfers; however, for years and years you have lamented on this site about the lack of VCU attempts/desire to recruit RVA players to play for the Rams. Or is my take on this incorrect?

Glad you asked. Yes, I have been a bit skeptical of the recent "Rams on the Rebound." It's because all four 804's essentially failed at their previous hoops' addresses. Their stars have faded. Hopefully not for good.

Perhaps new scenery will invigorate Wheeler, Nelson, Bamisile and Reid? Perhaps not. Generally, when you get a "used car" you find there is something wrong with it that you didn't notice before. Hopefully that's not the case here.

The RVA players I would have wanted most are JM seniors Dennis Parker (going to NC State) and Jason Rivera-Torres (Vandy).

No jet rides across oceans or continents necessary. A GRTC token would get the job done.

I read in the TD that VCU in general (like many colleges) has significant financial issues.

Suggestion: Don't roam. Stay close to home.

It's my opinion that recent VCU coaches haven't felt their program had the oomph to get the top-of-the-line local kids. Oddly, that changed with Odom who likely didn't know Petersburg from Ashland until a month ago That's why I'm skeptical of the recent results. It's not like he cultivated the area and is now deservedly reaping what he sowed.

Here's my Reid on the situation. Came to Richmond, visited family, had a great opportunity to see everyone. Wanted another free trip to the East Coast and decided to visit somewhere close to home. At the end, uses WF's money to visit with the family. Never intended to commit to WF, just taking advantage of what the portal offers.

I wouldnt care if their Multipurpose Center rivaled the Garden. Suggesting that man, even jokingly, play at DII VSU is insulting.

Seems you aren't impressed by Division II. Virginia Union is Division II. Panthers have produced NBA players Mike Davis, Charles Oakley, Terry Davis, AJ English, Jamie Waller and Ben Wallace (Hall of Fame). Is Basimile better than them?

Seems you aren't impressed by Division II. Virginia Union is Division II. Panthers have produced NBA players Mike Davis, Charles Oakley, Terry Davis, AJ English, Jamie Waller and Ben Wallace (Hall of Fame). Is Basimile better than them?
Division II basketball SUCKS

Wake Forest University is close enough to Richmond where if coming here would be a yes(to immediate eligibility) going there probably would be as well. It's only 3 hours and some change down 95/85.
Then for that matter Georgetown, NC State, VA Tech, lol, kids from VA playing ball west of continental divide could transfer East of the Mississippi and qualify. They’ll have to define this silly geographical waiver issue or remove it all together. I don’t follow NCAA rules or transfers but this seems of such liberal interpretation as to be ripe for a law suit.

Spell it out again, Mr. Hand.
I don't know.
(I am just kidding, but we all know what comes next)

giphy.gif

Wallace retired the same year Obama began his second term in office and is the most recent player on your list. The world is different from a decade ago, let alone when Oak and English were in college. Of course there are talented players in D2 (and I don't see why saying Bamisile could play there is an insult), but generally speaking most folks are going to explore their D1 options first. The reason why the guys on your list stand out is they're the exceptions to the rule. Heck, Chris Anderson only played one year at a junior college and he's an NBA champion.

Last edited:
It's my opinion that recent VCU coaches haven't felt their program had the oomph to get the top-of-the-line local kids. Oddly, that changed with Odom who likely didn't know Petersburg from Ashland until a month ago That's why I'm skeptical of the recent results. It's not like he cultivated the area and is now deservedly reaping what he sowed.
I am going to guess a person that played college BBall inn VA, coached on three teams that had VA players and one of those schools is in VA, has any idea of the difference between the two 🤷‍♂️

I am going to guess a person that played college BBall inn VA, coached on three teams that had VA players and one of those schools is in VA, has any idea of the difference between the two 🤷‍♂️
I mean other than the 2 years at Utah State, the guy has spent his entire career within a couple of hours of Richmond. Baltimore to Charlotte. Recruited this area. Played an hour away from Ashland but has no idea where it is. OK then

Last edited:

It's hard telling Petersburg/Ettrick apart from Ashland .... both regular stops on the Amtrak tour. PHS and PHHS kind or blends together off the tongue.

Back