Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

All this being said...I think it was @2012Ram that pointed out Reid's last go round on the recruiting trail. It was wild swings. He was going to Pitt and boom! Nope he went somewhere else. He might say things to people like I want to go to VCU but decide to go somewhere else. Let's hope he chooses the good guys.
The Efton Experience.

weathervane.gif

Efton needs to jump in and start on a team to prove he can play at a higher level. Screwing around in a rotation scheme is not in his best interest. He can be a starter here and get many minutes here at home.

Should Efton Reid decide to wear the Black 'n' Gold, how might that affect the 2023-24 status and future of Roosevelt Wheeler and The Ferminator?

In theory, yes. However, McAllister is still out there and may want to come back. There has been zero noise about him garnering interest or visiting anywhere. If he wants to come back, it will be up to the coaching staff as to whether they want him.
I don't think he is a part of the plan.

Should Efton Reid decide to wear the Black 'n' Gold, how might that affect the 2023-24 status and future of Roosevelt Wheeler and The Ferminator?
The absolute best comparison would be the Minnesota Timberwolves. You would have Rose/Fermin starring as Rudy Gobert and Reid starring as the Big Kat. I am comfortable with Reid constantly shooting from 15 out and he has shown the ability to hit the open 3. While I don’t think Odom can run a pure 4 out 1 in with him on the floor, I do see a nicer modified version with a lot of double stack screens doing very well and getting almost as many open three point attempts

Wheeler will get his minutes, as it's possible Reid plays at the 4 at least part-time. Fermin is the one I'm worried about, assuming Reid can play immediately. That kid had too much talent coming out of high school to spend a second year basically sitting on the bench. With him only having one more year of eligibility than Reid and Wheeler (and the same amount as Reid, if Reid has to sit for a year) we may see Fermin transfer out after this season. In fact, the best thing for Fermin may be if Reid has to sit, because Fermin will get more minutes and then will have tape available for when he transfers. But, as much as I hate to put it this way, Reid for Fermin is a good trade.

Wheeler will get his minutes, as it's possible Reid plays at the 4 at least part-time. Fermin is the one I'm worried about, assuming Reid can play immediately. That kid had too much talent coming out of high school to spend a second year basically sitting on the bench. With him only having one more year of eligibility than Reid and Wheeler (and the same amount as Reid, if Reid has to sit for a year) we may see Fermin transfer out after this season. In fact, the best thing for Fermin may be if Reid has to sit, because Fermin will get more minutes and then will have tape available for when he transfers. But, as much as I hate to put it this way, Reid for Fermin is a good trade.
In my opinion the best thing for VCU is to have solid players up and down the roster. Having lots of height and options down low is a problem VCU has never had to deal with. I am good with finding out how that will work out.

The absolute best comparison would be the Minnesota Timberwolves. You would have Rose/Fermin starring as Rudy Gobert and Reid starring as the Big Kat. I am comfortable with Reid constantly shooting from 15 out and he has shown the ability to hit the open 3. While I don’t think Odom can run a pure 4 out 1 in with him on the floor, I do see a nicer modified version with a lot of double stack screens doing very well and getting almost as many open three point attempts

Since Odom states he wanted to play more aggressive defense tha previous school, my biggest concern is the defensive end.

Are they quick enough to switch and guard smaller players on the perimeter when necessary?

I feel like if Fermin has a great summer, then there will definitely be minutes available for him. We’ll just have to wait and see

Since Odom states he wanted to play more aggressive defense tha previous school, my biggest concern is the defensive end.

Are they quick enough to switch and guard smaller players on the perimeter when necessary?
I think you can be aggressive with out pressing 94 ft or switching everything. However Should RO chose to run a full court press. I am ok with Fermin, Tobi or Reid being at the head of the press. All are good floor runners and can get back. ( I don’t expect to see this often. Like less than 2% of Defensive possessions) I also don’t expect to see a switch everything defense but more of a hedge and recover. Also, all 4 of them have a 7ft or greater wingspan which decreases the distance between them and the offensive player so they don’t have to stay right on top of the person

Back