Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

With school bells about to ring, isn't it time for an NCAA ruling on "Bam the Ram?"

Comment: if the triple transfer is eligible to play, I suspect he'll lead the team in scoring. If he's ineligible, I doubt it will make much difference, if any, in the final W-L ledger. So many others capable of scoring in double digits - will add up to about 72 ppg game regardless.

Question: If the former Hokie/Colonial/Sooner is ruled ineligible for VCU in '23-'24, could he transfer - right now - to a Division 2 and have immediate eligibility. That's why he needs to know something in the next 100 hours or so, to be able to weigh all his options - could be a bit more difficult once classes actually begin. The young man has demonstrated a willingness to move in the past.

Can't imagine any player being okay with sitting out after three years, already, in college ... Virginia Union and Virginia State could offer 30 minutes per game and likely 15 shots - and perhaps NIL money as well. Could it be the NCAA rules on transferring "down" with a softer grading scale than D-1 to D-1?
I bet its September or October before we know

366625684_9802629746477366_2651303020329585251_n.jpg

8/20/23

The Bamisile waiver issue is indeed concerning. His relatively early commitment to us via the portal (along with all the others at or about the same time) quickly “locked in” our new core roster, for all intents and purposes, and likely pushed away other potential significant (high level) additions.

Now we are faced with the real possibility of spending two “scholarship years” on Bam for one “playing year.” Along with that, we suffer the “opportunity cost” of missing out on perhaps bringing in another equivalent player (or two) who “would’ve been” ready to contribute Day One (i.e. this year). Expected playing time “pecking order” matters, particularly with quality portal guys making their one "no-sit" transfer decision.

We provided a life raft of sorts for Nelson, Wheeler, and Kuany, who all left struggling programs (amid role uncertainty) with little (recent) defensive/winning culture. Belle is young/new (but promising).

This roster, as currently constructed, is a mish-mash of somewhat odd components, most of whom are largely unproven — Richmonders coming home/crossing town, Intl kids following a coach across (or to another) country, and 4 non-starter holdovers from an NCAA team. It’s an interesting (yet concerning/untested) recipe that perhaps no longer features great overall team athleticism, defensive prowess, roster continuity, and or grit/toughness to which we’ve become accustomed - and all staples of successful (NCAA) Ram squads over the past two decades.

Last edited:
Now we are faced with the real possibility of spending two “scholarship years” on Bam for one “playing year.”
Being a player during the Covid year, I think Bam should have 2 years of eligibility left whether he has to sit this year out or not.

His 2020-21 season at Virginia Tech did not count towards his years of eligibility.
His next 2 years at George Washington and Oklahoma count as 2 years of eligibility.
That means he has 2 years left to play college basketball.

If he has to sit out, then that’s a redshirt year And he still has those 2 years left to play.

Last edited:
I'm assuming five years of attending college (Year 4 and 5 at VCU) will be enough for Bam and he'll want to move on to other things (a la Curry, who could've stayed another year). If/when Bam graduates (undergrad), he could (theoretically) be on the move again (as a grad transfer).

Last edited:
8/20/23

The Bamisile waiver issue is indeed concerning. His relatively early commitment to us via the portal (along with all the others at or about the same time) quickly “locked in” our new core roster, for all intents and purposes, and likely pushed away other potential significant (high level) additions.

Now we are faced with the real possibility of spending two “scholarship years” on Bam for one “playing year.” Along with that, we suffer the “opportunity cost” of missing out on perhaps bringing in another equivalent player (or two) who “would’ve been” ready to contribute Day One (i.e. this year). Expected playing time “pecking order” matters, particularly with quality portal guys.

We provided a life raft of sorts for Nelson, Wheeler, and Kuany, who all left struggling programs (amid role uncertainty) with little (recent) defensive/winning culture. Belle is young/new (but promising).

This roster, as currently constructed, is a mish-mash of somewhat odd components, most of whom are largely unproven — Richmonders coming home/crossing town, Intl kids following a coach across (or to another) country, and 4 non-starter holdovers from an NCAA team. It’s an interesting (yet concerning/untested) recipe that perhaps no longer features great overall team athleticism, defensive prowess, roster continuity, and or grit/toughness to which we’ve become accustomed - and all staples of successful (NCAA) Ram squads over the past two decades.
RO and staff knew this and offered others accordingly. I find it hard to believe they pitched Bam that he’d likely get a waiver. So Bam probably made decision based on probability he’d need to sit out this year, even if he wished otherwise. Everyone will simply have to live with the consequences. If waiver is denied it provides more minutes for others to prove themselves.

8/20/23

Now we are faced with the real possibility of spending two “scholarship years” on Bam for one “playing year.” Along with that, we suffer the “opportunity cost” of missing out on perhaps bringing in another equivalent player (or two) who “would’ve been” ready to contribute Day One (i.e. this year). Expected playing time “pecking order” matters, particularly with quality portal guys.

Do you ever read your posts out loud to yourself?

Do you ever read your posts out loud to yourself?

Despite Northside's well-thought and logically expressed concerns, I'm predicting 24-7 .... the theory "what goes up must come down" doesn't apply to the gravity-proof Rams .... since arrival of coach Capel, aka JC3, VCU likely has among the top 10 winning percentages in the nation out of some 350 Division 1 programs. No kerplunk in sight.

Back