Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

Interesting. I’m not up to date or in the loop on any portal rumors but the only thing I’ve heard about VCU so far is that we reached out to MBJ.
If you check out the transfer portal thread in the recruiting subforum, we've reached out to a number of guards, including La Salle's Jhamir Brickus (who is a friend of Bones and part of his Tressi Gang). Tyrone Nelson might be concerned that we're recruiting over Jaynel...and it's honestly a valid concern considering that his performance this season is a step down from last season, especially in the last 10 or so games.

Interesting. I’m not up to date or in the loop on any portal rumors but the only thing I’ve heard about VCU so far is that we reached out to MBJ.
I know Rev. Nelson is well connected, but any information about us losing most of our guards must be reasonably well hidden to not have been posted on this message board.

Reading between the lines, though -- if he's publicly saying "sheesh, they think everyone is leaving" then my assumption is that Jason Nelson is *not* leaving. One would think that if J-Nel had made that decision, the Reverend would be keeping his mouth shut about anything related to transfers. I don't think he's a loose cannon.

If you check out the transfer portal thread in the recruiting subforum, we've reached out to a number of guards, including La Salle's Jhamir Brickus (who is a friend of Bones and part of his Tressi Gang). Tyrone Nelson might be concerned that we're recruiting over Jaynel...and it's honestly a valid concern considering that his performance this season is a step down from last season, especially in the last 10 or so games.
OIC ... looking at it from that direction, I see what he's saying now.

OIC ... looking at it from that direction, I see what he's saying now.
Richmond Good Life subtweeted him with the following good points, and he's 100% correct. We might be looking at guards but it doesn't necessarily mean we're forcing Nelson out...though it's a valid concern regardless.

This is unfortunate. Unfortunate that a family member that feels a certain way is publicly speaking based on emotions but that is the world we live in. Funny though how last year when the tables were reversed, I didn't see the same sentiment. Several teams that declined post season play gave the reason of a negative ability to recruit as reason to not play and start portal season. Obviously, VCU can correctly as they should walk and chew gum at the same time.

I think everyone that follows collegiate sports knows that recruiting is the life blood of any successful program. With the advent of free-agency(portal and NIL) it is now 24/7/365. You literally don't know what your roster will look like week to week. Recruiting is a perpetual necessity now.

I think he’s probably just saying that we should be more excited about our NIT run than another portal announcement out of the hundreds that have already happened and the thousands more to come. He’s basically saying any game can be our last one, so live in the moment of the season that hasn’t ended yet out of respect for our current team, staying or moving on.

Whether you agree or not, it’s a harmless comment coming from someone who wants to support their family. NBD.

How is it that our 6-11 big with multiple years of major D1 experience doesn’t know how to set a legal screen? I understand our terrible shooting night but isn’t setting a screen as basic as shooting a FT?

How is it that our 6-11 big with multiple years of major D1 experience doesn’t know how to set a legal screen? I understand our terrible shooting night but isn’t setting a screen as basic as shooting a FT?
That was definitely concerning and a pretty bad, short stretch of play for Wheeler.

If you are not always looking to bring in good players that current players have to beat out for minutes you are not doing your job.
Agreed, I've heard fans say that if their team misses the NCAA then they'd rather pass on the NIT and just focus on next year's roster. If you don't think your staff isn't doing that ALL season long then you don't understand how sports work.

Back