2023 Brooklyn Roll Call

I stayed at the Sonder Battery Park for the Legends Classic. Huge rooms with kitchen amenities (dishwasher, utensils, etc). I would stay again. And very close to the trains for Brooklyn. The other Sonder on the east side was not as well reviewed. The Battery Park Sonder is right at the entrance to Battery Park. There is the National Museum of the American Indian a block or two away and Fraunces Tavern, where GW said farewell to the troops a little bit further away, but very walkable. Still in operation.
Thank you! I looked long and hard at the Battery Park location as well. I stayed at an Air BnB near the One Platt location previously, and figured I was a little more familiar with that area. Plus I'm itching to try the water ferry from Wall Street this year...

There is the National Museum of the American Indian a block or two away and Fraunces Tavern, where GW said farewell to the troops a little bit further away, but very walkable. Still in operation.
Legend has it that someone at the tavern offered General Washington courtside seats to a Colonials game, but he declined after deciding that spending the winter at Valley Forge would be less soul-destroying.

Rams with more experience, I'm trying to figure out the logistics of going to the tournament. Do you guys drive up or take the train? If driving, what's the best option for hotel/parking. I've only been to NYC once but I flew in with the family. Based on flight cost, it's not worth it for me to fly in Friday and come back Saturday. Also checked Amtrack and nothing works for coming back on Sunday.
Parking isn’t too bad in most areas of Brooklyn

A-10 Pregame Reception​

VCU Alumni hosts a pregame party 2½ hours prior to VCU’s first session. Celebrate VCU’s return to Barclays with food and drink, camaraderie and swag.

Where: Barclays Center 40/40 Club – 620 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn, NY (nearest subway station is Atlantic Avenue – Barclays Center)
When: Date and time TBD based on A-10 conference play. Reception begins 2½ hours before the first men’s basketball session.
Cost: $25. Ticket includes a two-hour open bar, buffet and VCU swag.
Register: Online

Note: You must have a session ticket to enter Barclays for the pregame reception.

Fan Headquarters​

Prior to each VCU game, hang out and enjoy VCU camaraderie.

Where: Black Forest Brooklyn – 733 Fulton St., Brooklyn, NY 11217 (nearest subway station is Atlantic Avenue – Barclays Center or Lafayette Avenue)
When: Before each VCU game (except the first game)
Cost: Free; enjoy VCU swag and hang out with VCU alumni and fans.

A-10 Kickoff Social​

Hosted by the VCU Alumni Richmond and New York City chapters.

Where: Hair of the Dog NYC, 168 Orchard St., New York, NY 10002
When: 6:30-8:30 p.m. the night before the first VCU game
Cost: Free
Reposting just to bring these details back to the top

Anybody know what hotel the team is staying at in Brooklyn?

Rams with more experience, I'm trying to figure out the logistics of going to the tournament. Do you guys drive up or take the train? If driving, what's the best option for hotel/parking. I've only been to NYC once but I flew in with the family. Based on flight cost, it's not worth it for me to fly in Friday and come back Saturday. Also checked Amtrack and nothing works for coming back on Sunday.
I'm late but we've always done the train. Pick a hotel near a subway stop and due to Amtrak's schedule, we've always come back Monday morning.

I'm somewhat of a train geek. If, like me, you haven't been up to NYC on Amtrak since 2020, it should be a different experience. They've since opened the new Moynihan Train Hall to replace the old Penn Station.

Also, apparently Grand Central Station is now again functional and running LIRR trains

I'm somewhat of a train geek. If, like me, you haven't been up to NYC on Amtrak since 2020, it should be a different experience. They've since opened the new Moynihan Train Hall to replace the old Penn Station.
Go to the New York Transit Museum. You won't regret it.

Back