2023 "For Sale" Is The New "Forever" Coaching Changes Thread

Fwiw, I have a work meeting scheduled for 3pm dst (2 central), so that probably means some kind of news breaks then, while I can't peruse:/

Just like I know where I was the day the space shuttle blew up, I can remember where I was the day that every VCU coach announced they were moving on since the Capel days. Sad but true in my pitiful life.....:).

They all sting.
I only remember the days JD and Dana left.

Fact: Mike Rhoades called VCU is dream job.

Also a fact: He also said that 6 years ago before NIL and the transfer portal changed things during his tenure as head coach at VCU. The landscape has drastically changed in college basketball since he made that quote.
Yup - that's how I look at it.

I will say, I have a hard time talking to college bball fans that are VCU fans *AND* fans of a P5 programs. It is impossible for them to relate to us.

Also a fact: He also said that 6 years ago before NIL and the transfer portal changed things during his tenure as head coach at VCU. The landscape has drastically changed in college basketball since he made that quote.
If NIL money is a big motivator Penn State doesn’t seem like a good place to go though. It sounds like their old coach was tired of all the cash going to the football team.

If NIL money is a big motivator Penn State doesn’t seem like a good place to go though. It sounds like their old coach was tired of all the cash going to the football team.
Could be part of the deal. You get X salary and X NIL money.

it's logic like this that is making my Monday into an even suckier day.

I lived for years in Pennsylvania, and most of my family members today live outside of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I know for a fact that most people in Pennsylvania don't give a darn about Penn State basketball, it is ALL about football. Lastly, Jeff Capel was hired as a head coach, no head coaching experience, at VCU in his early 30's. VCU has numerous ex players who have coaching, not head, experience. If Mike leaves it is time for VCU to hire someone, former player, who bleeds Black & Gold, not the color green for more money. I believe there are several ex VCU basketball players who could do a great job who love VCU, and they love the state of Virginia.

I lived for years in Pennsylvania, and most of my family members today live outside of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I know for a fact that most people in Pennsylvania don't give a darn about Penn State basketball, it is ALL about football. Lastly, Jeff Capel was hired as a head coach, no head coaching experience, at VCU in his early 30's. VCU has numerous ex players who have coaching, not head, experience. If Mike leaves it is time for VCU to hire someone, former player, who bleeds Black & Gold, not the color green for more money. I believe there are several ex VCU basketball players who could do a great job who love VCU, and they love the state of Virginia.
If we were to take this route, I am down for Joey.

Shrew is a Indiana guy, went to a better program, and is getting big money ($4mil).
PSU needs to pay MR a ton to convince him to leave. He isn’t leaving a solid job for a small pay bump.
That and Shrew said he did not feel well supported at PSU. Their facilities were not good and their NIL program was not competitive were at least two things he said.
This is what I would be concerned about if I was Rhoades as much as the money. What kind of support will there be at Penn. St. for basketball. History says it will be less than what is needed to compete year in and year out in the B1G.

Back