2023 "For Sale" Is The New "Forever" Coaching Changes Thread

Fished the Rockfish/Shad/Herring run this afternoon on the mighty James here in RVA, and came home to 6 unread pages of coach banter. So happy I went fishing. Slayed em’! Nice to step away from all of this non-sense for a while and enjoy the beautiful outdoors.

This is a bs take. Fans are supposed to donate $1.7 mil on a *yearly* basis to keep a coach? What happens to NIL donations?
I don't think she was specifically talking about salary donations.....at least that is the way I took it.

Fished the Rockfish/Shad/Herring run this afternoon on the mighty James here in RVA, and came home to 6 unread pages of coach banter. So happy I went fishing. Slayed em’! Nice to step away from all of this non-sense for a while and enjoy the beautiful outdoors.
Not to derail the thread but that’s really cool. I fish a lot around here but never did the Shad run for some reason but always wanted to. Good time?

You know Penn State danced this year and made it to the second round, right?
You know all the major players are in the transfer portal for them. And just like Fordham had a miraculous year this year both teams haven't been very good for over a decade or longer.

1. Penn State is the better overall program. You'd see it if you were unbiased. Their facilities are world class in true sense. They'd stack with literally anyone on earth. Money isn't an issue. They're in a power conference. Sure, Football is #1 but they can thrive in Basketball too (Look at Bama). Recruiting and assistant coaches' budget is probably unlimited.
2. Mike would be stupid to not see through Ace's senior year. There could be a historic run under Mikes wings.
3. It would be at minimum a short term struggle for Mike to be established at Penn State
4. Penn State should look around. They might actually find someone (much) better.
5. It's water under the bridge, if Mike chases $s. Over the last 5 years, he has been good but not excellent.
6. There are lots of up-and-coming coaches for us to choose from.
7. If Mike stays, we support him with all we got!

If Mike stays....great, fantastic. If Mike goes....VCU basketball life will go on either splendidly or horribly. Regardless, the writing is now on the wall. Mike is willing to entertain offers to leave VCU for another program.
So, if he stays at VCU, it is incumbent upon the admin to update their files of possible future coaches and begin rebuilding their hiring network so we can be ready for the day that Mike does ultimately leave.
Now upgrade their files? Oh please. I’d bet there is always a revised list. If I was mid major AD, I’d be worried if my coach wasn’t being talked about or being interviewed. Everybody knows non-football mids can’t compete in salary. But, we do in other ways.

1. Penn State is the better overall program. You'd see it if you were unbiased. Their facilities are world class in true sense. They'd stack with literally anyone on earth. Money isn't an issue. They're in a power conference. Sure, Football is #1 but they can thrive in Basketball too (Look at Bama). Recruiting and assistant coaches' budget is probably unlimited.
1. Basketball at Alabama is the clear number 2. At Penn State it's behind:

- Football
- Wrestling
- Women's volleyball
- Men's volleyball :?
- Men's lacrosse
- Men's ice hockey

And then, waaaaay down there, is basketball.

$4 million a season won't buy fan passion, and won't buy support from a student body that isn't particularly inclined to support basketball unless the team goes on a run. Penn State's biggest conference rival is... Rutgers, I guess? They even make a joke about it with the whole "unrivaled" catch phrase. And as much as I like Rhoades, I can't see this being a hire that Penn State can really sell as a huge upgrade.

Besides, Rhoades would have to deal with school president Neeli Bendapudi as much as the school AD, and from what I've heard from folks around Louisville she's got a habit of sticking her nose into athletic department affairs that aren't really things she needs to get involved with. Might be a red flag.

Not to derail the thread but that’s really cool. I fish a lot around here but never did the Shad run for some reason but always wanted to. Good time?
Great time. Order Trout Magnets and small silver and gold spoons. I like to fish them on a three way swivel, with the spoon trailing the Trout Magnet. Deadly combo! Good luck and tight lines!

I still think Rhoades stays. Likely working Ed a little with talking to PSU. Nothing makes a boss act nicer to you than following a few headhunters on LinkedIn. ;)

Back