2024-25 Roster Thread

Here we go again. Same format as last year. Hopefully with a little less action the first week. Not making any assumptions about who may be returning until they have either indicated that they are coming back or the portal closes on May 1st. I will edit this post daily if things are changing to keep the most recent info at the top. With that being said let's have a great off season and put together a roster that can win the A10!

2023-24 Roster

Fr. Michael Belle
RS Fr. Fats Billups
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Tobi Lawal
So. Christian Fermin
So. Jason Nelson
Jr. Roosevelt Wheeler
Sr. Max Shulga
Sr. Zeb Jackson
Sr. Connor Odom-Walk On
Sr. Joe Bamisile
Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Out Of Eligibility

Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Recruits Signed

Brandon Jennings

Portal Out

Jason Nelson
Roosevelt Wheeler
Tobi Lawal - VPI
Max Shulga

Portal In

Jack Clark - From Clemson

2024-25 Roster

Fr. Brandon Jennings - Signed 11/10/23
5th Yr. Sr. Joe Bamisile - Indicated He Is Returning
5th Yr. Sr. Zeb Jackson - Indicated He Is Returning
7th Yr. Sr. Jack Clark

4 of 13 Scholarships

Last edited:
Yep.

Max is gone, Max is gone!

Like... OK? This is not a surprise and the staff and team were prepared for it. Hope he makes a roster in summer league.
I expected him to go pro all season but it was nice thinking that if he decided against that he might come back here. The portal thing is basically saying I don't know what I'm doing but I know I don't want to be back there. That stings a bit.

I expected him to go pro all season but it was nice thinking that if he decided against that he might come back here. The portal thing is basically saying I don't know what I'm doing but I know I don't want to be back there. That stings a bit.
All the portal means is he is publicly open to accepting offers. Good business decision on his part.

I’m very curious to see what the new NIL ruling does for VCU. We only have to worry about basketball and we have shown that we will invest in the program with our facilities.

With Max being a 4th year player the portal potential was always there as a grad transfer. Him entering now just means he won't be graduating or that he is hitting the portal to help Odom show other potential transfers that the spot is open open.

I’m very curious to see what the new NIL ruling does for VCU. We only have to worry about basketball and we have shown that we will invest in the program with our facilities.
I could see a wealthy alumni who happens to love a non-revenue generating sport dropping money into their school to make it nationally relevant quickly. I suspect if someone loved men’s golf or tennis and had $200k a year for say 5 years to toss at NIL that they could really buy some top talent and quickly make their beloved school nationally relevant. Risky, but it’s like investing in stocks under $10 vs blue chips yet still feeling philanthropic. It also has quicker upside opportunity in moving the needle (and program) than bb or fb.

I could see a wealthy alumni who happens to love a non-revenue generating sport dropping money into their school to make it nationally relevant quickly. I suspect if someone loved men’s golf or tennis and had $200k a year for say 5 years to toss at NIL that they could really buy some top talent and quickly make their beloved school nationally relevant. Risky, but it’s like investing in stocks under $10 vs blue chips yet still feeling philanthropic. It also has quicker upside opportunity in moving the needle (and program) than bb or fb
So would this mean that VCU can invest in paying players like they invest in building facilities? Because again, if that going to happen then that is the biggest news of the day. I am wishing Max the best, but hopefully we are able to replace him with another all-conference player soon.

I could see a wealthy alumni who happens to love a non-revenue generating sport dropping money into their school to make it nationally relevant quickly. I suspect if someone loved men’s golf or tennis and had $200k a year for say 5 years to toss at NIL that they could really buy some top talent and quickly make their beloved school nationally relevant. Risky, but it’s like investing in stocks under $10 vs blue chips yet still feeling philanthropic. It also has quicker upside opportunity in moving the needle (and program) than bb or fb.
That seems to be where the most impact could be made if someone has the desire to do so. A lot of programs are going to be paying something for football players and basketball players but if you invest in a sport whose players typically don't receive anything you can make a quick jump with less cash.

So would this mean that VCU can invest in paying players like they invest in building facilities? Because again, if that going to happen then that is the biggest news of the day. I am wishing Max the best, but hopefully we are able to replace him with another all-conference player soon.
The General Assembly passed a law (and the governor signed it) that allows public state universities to make direct NIL payments to players, overriding NCAA rules and basically making independent NIL collectives obsolete (though they might still serve a marketing purpose in connecting players to opportunities). So now the university can devote more financial resources to getting the best players.

The General Assembly passed a law (and the governor signed it) that allows public state universities to make direct NIL payments to players, overriding NCAA rules and basically making independent NIL collectives obsolete (though they might still serve a marketing purpose in connecting players to opportunities). So now the university can devote more financial resources to getting the best players.
I'll be at the town hall later today, and I am sure this will be a big topic. I'll report back here what is said on the matter, but I imagine this is a HUGE thing for us.

*waits for an email from athletics about ticket prices & donation levels going through the roof*

*waits for an email from athletics about ticket prices & donation levels going through the roof*
Yeah, that's the only part I'm afraid of. Other states have passed similar laws and I'll be interested to see what they do.

That seems to be where the most impact could be made if someone has the desire to do so. A lot of programs are going to be paying something for football players and basketball players but if you invest in a sport whose players typically don't receive anything you can make a quick jump with less cash.
PSA for any improbably wealthy reader who wants to make a genuine impact on availability of education - donate to the Virginia Community College System. Your money goes a L O T further than at any individual university.

Back