2024-25 Roster Thread

Here we go again. Same format as last year. Hopefully with a little less action the first week. Not making any assumptions about who may be returning until they have either indicated that they are coming back or the portal closes on May 1st. I will edit this post daily if things are changing to keep the most recent info at the top. With that being said let's have a great off season and put together a roster that can win the A10!

2023-24 Roster

Fr. Michael Belle
RS Fr. Fats Billups
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Tobi Lawal
So. Christian Fermin
So. Jason Nelson
Jr. Roosevelt Wheeler
Sr. Max Shulga
Sr. Zeb Jackson
Sr. Connor Odom-Walk On
Sr. Joe Bamisile
Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Out Of Eligibility

Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Recruits Signed

Brandon Jennings

Portal Out

Jason Nelson
Roosevelt Wheeler
Tobi Lawal - VPI
Max Shulga

Portal In

Jack Clark - From Clemson

2024-25 Roster

Fr. Brandon Jennings - Signed 11/10/23
5th Yr. Sr. Joe Bamisile - Indicated He Is Returning
5th Yr. Sr. Zeb Jackson - Indicated He Is Returning
7th Yr. Sr. Jack Clark

4 of 13 Scholarships

Last edited:
4/9/24

Double-digit scoring 5th yr kids (like Jax/Bam) don't generally return (or commit) to non-P6 programs unless they expect (or have been promised) to start and play big minutes/have significant roles. While Zeb's announcement is a positive development, it will now be a bit more challenging to lure other top quality portal perimeter players (as the backcourt picture takes shape); it's even stickier with Shulga in limbo.

The framework of a 2024-25 roster (heading into Jun 2024) hopefully looks like this (for now):

Starters
1)
Sr Jackson (5th yr)
2) Sr Shulga (5th yr; if he returns); if not, portal SG/CG
3) Sr Bamisile (5th yr)
4) Portal
5) Portal

Rotation
6)
Portal Combo Guard
7) So Billups (or Portal)
8) So Belle (or Portal)
9) Jr Lawal (or Portal)
10) Jr Fermin (or Portal)

Bench
11)
Fr Jennings
12) Portal or HS recruit (late signee/decommit)
13) Portal or HS recruit (late signee/decommit)

Notes:
a)
Nelson and Okafor presumably move on to lower-level programs (as they should)
b) Shulga situation (staying or leaving?), along with Jax/Bam staying, creates doubt/hesitation in a potential perimeter prospect's mind (regarding PT/role)
c) An "alpha" (leader/producer) is still very much needed; even two of them (1A/1B)
d) Players can (and do) move up and down the "depth chart" based on summer/physical development, skills upgrade/advancement, health/injury, etc

Last edited:
Double-digit scoring 5th yr kids don't generally return (or commit) to non-P6 programs unless they expect to start (and play big minutes/have significant roles). While Zeb's announcement is a positive development, it will now be a bit more challenging to lure other top quality portal perimeter players (as the backcourt picture takes shape); it's even stickier with Shulga in limbo.
College basketball is now year to year. I’m happy we’ll have Zeb. We’ll worry about the future when it gets here.

I guess no more news about players leaving. I think that's a good thing.
A lot can still happen in three weeks. My wife asked me last night if I thought we were done and I told here still to early to say and it would depend on a couple of variables. 🤷‍♂️

A lot can still happen, but if it stays this way it’s definitely a good thing. Continuity in the age of the transfer portal is a rare commodity. Even though we could use a couple upgrades, keeping a core group of guys together is valuable. I think we have to give some credit to coach, he’s got the guys buying in.

Maybe being a high mid major will generally help with roster stability? We're kinda in the "Goldilocks Zone" for a certain level of quality 3*/4* type player (as we have for the last 20 or so years)
COULD these guys jump to a P4 school? Sure, but maybe the PT/comfort level isn't there...so staying at VCU is the right call.

Works for me...snag a PG and some help in the paint and we'll continue to be a top tier A10 program

Maybe being a high mid major will generally help with roster stability? We're kinda in the "Goldilocks Zone" for a certain level of quality 3*/4* type player (as we have for the last 20 or so years)
COULD these guys jump to a P4 school? Sure, but maybe the PT/comfort level isn't there...so staying at VCU is the right call.

Works for me...snag a PG and some help in the paint and we'll continue to be a top tier A10 program
If we can pick up those players you mentioned AND Shulga comes back, VCU is going to be very hard to beat in the A10 next year.

I think that's a good assessment. We're a strong, well-known program in the 8th best conference in the country. Not everyone's going to end up on a P4 or Big East roster. I think that leaves us in a pretty good spot.

Get the PG from Norfolk st ( or someone with a similar skill set )and we will have a solid backcourt
VCU always seems to have a talented true PG …need one
If Max doesn't return, I think if we pick up Jamarii Thomas from Norfolk State and a solid big out of the portal (maybe two) to play the 5 on a consistent basis, we'll be golden.

Back