2024-25 Roster Thread

Here we go again. Same format as last year. Hopefully with a little less action the first week. Not making any assumptions about who may be returning until they have either indicated that they are coming back or the portal closes on May 1st. I will edit this post daily if things are changing to keep the most recent info at the top. With that being said let's have a great off season and put together a roster that can win the A10!

2023-24 Roster

Fr. Michael Belle
RS Fr. Fats Billups
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Tobi Lawal
So. Christian Fermin
So. Jason Nelson
Jr. Roosevelt Wheeler
Sr. Max Shulga
Sr. Zeb Jackson
Sr. Connor Odom-Walk On
Sr. Joe Bamisile
Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Out Of Eligibility

Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Recruits Signed

Brandon Jennings

Portal Out

Jason Nelson
Roosevelt Wheeler
Tobi Lawal - VPI
Max Shulga

Portal In

Jack Clark - From Clemson

2024-25 Roster

Fr. Brandon Jennings - Signed 11/10/23
5th Yr. Sr. Joe Bamisile - Indicated He Is Returning
5th Yr. Sr. Zeb Jackson - Indicated He Is Returning
7th Yr. Sr. Jack Clark

4 of 13 Scholarships

Last edited:
FFS we’re not the Gonzaga of the East. One final four. One time passed the first weekend. We’re a solid upper mid major. Gonzaga dominates their conference every year outside of maybe St Mary’s and is regularly ranked.

When we get a few more sweet 16s/elite 8/another final four and are ranked at least somewhat throughout the year feel free to start comparisons.

You can check my math (I hit the wall in Algebra 2 second semester), but since the arrival of Jeff Capel III, the Rams are 522-217 overall, 280-108 in conference play, with 13 NCAA berths. Hard topping that, especially when factoring in the coaching carousel.

Bluebloods? There's been a misstep of two at The Dance, but just for regular season and conference tournament play, Rams colors are Black, Gold and Blue., as blue as Frank Sinatra's eyes, Paul Bunyan's Ox, Manhattan voters and the great left-hander (first name Vida) for the Oakland A's.

You can check my math (I hit the wall in Algebra 2 second semester), but since the arrival of Jeff Capel III, the Rams are 522-217 overall, 280-108 in conference play, with 13 NCAA berths. Hard topping that, especially when factoring in the coaching carousel.

Bluebloods? There's been a misstep of two at The Dance, but just for regular season and conference tournament play, Rams colors are Black, Gold and Blue., as blue as Frank Sinatra's eyes, Paul Bunyan's Ox, Manhattan voters and the great left-hander (first name Vida) for the Oakland A's.
Again we’re not Gonzaga. If there was one it’s maybe Villanova but they’ve won titles unlike GU

We’re in the NCAA’s 10 out of the last 14 years (3 of the last 7)

Gonzaga- Goes to the second round pretty much every year since 2005. Gonzaga dropped out of the rankings this year for the first time since 2016! (When we were we even ranked lately?)They’ve had numerous Sweet 16, Elites, couple of runner ups. They have lost a max of 3 games in conference on every given year and had multiple 30 win seasons.

Yes we’ve had great success despite coaching change but there is nothing remotely comparable between us and Gonzaga. We had probably more losses in Rhoades first year than Gonzaga had in 4 seasons combined.

The only time this comparison could be entertained is Shaka’s era when our revenue was ridiculous and we were a top 40 money machine. Even then we still didn’t get past the second weekend.

Once again another day of no news is good news, right?
I am not sure how that would be true. I suppose another day of no news makes it incrementally less likely that Tobi or Belle will leave. I don't think we will know what Max is up to until at least mid-May so no news is just no news there.

No news on Brickus or anyone else from the portal seems bad to me

I am not sure how that would be true. I suppose another day of no news makes it incrementally less likely that Tobi or Belle will leave. I don't think we will know what Max is up to until at least mid-May so no news is just no news there.

No news on Brickus or anyone else from the portal seems bad to me
Well, we're 15 days away from being able to safely say that the underclassmen will be back.

I just posted on the Opponent Tracking thread that Jalen DeLoach just committed to Loyola-Chicago. Back in the A-10 to torment us. Ugh.

I don't know if we approached him or not when he entered the portal from UGA. Maybe he didn't want to return here. My question - if we didn't pursue him, do we have something else in the works?

We could use another JJ-type player!

Meh. Wish him well against everyone but us. More fish in the pond RO needs to land one.

Again we’re not Gonzaga. If there was one it’s maybe Villanova but they’ve won titles unlike GU

We’re in the NCAA’s 10 out of the last 14 years (3 of the last 7)

Gonzaga- Goes to the second round pretty much every year since 2005. Gonzaga dropped out of the rankings this year for the first time since 2016! (When we were we even ranked lately?)They’ve had numerous Sweet 16, Elites, couple of runner ups. They have lost a max of 3 games in conference on every given year and had multiple 30 win seasons.

Yes we’ve had great success despite coaching change but there is nothing remotely comparable between us and Gonzaga. We had probably more losses in Rhoades first year than Gonzaga had in 4 seasons combined.

The only time this comparison could be entertained is Shaka’s era when our revenue was ridiculous and we were a top 40 money machine. Even then we still didn’t get past the second weekend.

It's eye opening to me how much emphasis VCU loyalists place on a possible 34th or 35th game of the season, while failing to enjoy the first 33 or so.

If management wants to approach the Zags' national reputation, it might consider a more ambitious non-conference schedule as opposed to loading up on buy games .... which brings us to ...

In addition to a 21st century of excellence on the floor, I'm thinking VCU is also among the national leaders in seats filled relative to capacity. If VCU wasn't such sold-out machine at home, almost regardless of opponent, it might be more encouraged to take its show on the road in search of higher status.

Eager to see 24-25 slate but would be surprised if there is a substantial switch from the norm.

Last edited:
Dan Hurley's formula for roster construction at UCONN: “The formula is top-10 offense, top-10 defense, be a tremendous rebounding team. Be a team that plays with utter desperation.”
His winning formula is to break the other teams will by running great offense, dragging the defenders through multiple layers of screens until a great shot opens up.

Saw Coach and a few staff walking on campus with a recruit yesterday morning. Don’t know who he was but he’s a large individual.
A 6’8”/6’9” kid? I have an idea but will not speculate here. Will leave that to DL.

Back