2024-25 Roster Thread

Here we go again. Same format as last year. Hopefully with a little less action the first week. Not making any assumptions about who may be returning until they have either indicated that they are coming back or the portal closes on May 1st. I will edit this post daily if things are changing to keep the most recent info at the top. With that being said let's have a great off season and put together a roster that can win the A10!

2023-24 Roster

Fr. Michael Belle
RS Fr. Fats Billups
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Tobi Lawal
So. Christian Fermin
So. Jason Nelson
Jr. Roosevelt Wheeler
Sr. Max Shulga
Sr. Zeb Jackson
Sr. Connor Odom-Walk On
Sr. Joe Bamisile
Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Out Of Eligibility

Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Recruits Signed

Brandon Jennings

Portal Out

Jason Nelson
Roosevelt Wheeler
Tobi Lawal - VPI
Max Shulga

Portal In

Jack Clark - From Clemson

2024-25 Roster

Fr. Brandon Jennings - Signed 11/10/23
5th Yr. Sr. Joe Bamisile - Indicated He Is Returning
5th Yr. Sr. Zeb Jackson - Indicated He Is Returning
7th Yr. Sr. Jack Clark

4 of 13 Scholarships

Last edited:
Saw Coach and a few staff walking on campus with a recruit yesterday morning. Don’t know who he was but he’s a large individual.
I call BS….it wasn’t posted all over the internet so it didn’t happen…………..sarcasm

One of those guys may have pro ambitions but is nowhere near sniffing that level and I’d suspect his minutes would be halved next year
Agreed. Wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer if we get another talented guard. Just won't be enough minutes available.

It's eye opening to me how much emphasis VCU loyalists place on a possible 34th or 35th game of the season, while failing to enjoy the first 33 or so.

If management wants to approach the Zags' national reputation, it might consider a more ambitious non-conference schedule as opposed to loading up on buy games .... which brings us to ...

In addition to a 21st century of excellence on the floor, I'm thinking VCU is also among the national leaders in seats filled relative to capacity. If VCU wasn't such sold-out machine at home, almost regardless of opponent, it might be more encouraged to take its show on the road in search of higher status.

Eager to see 24-25 slate but would be surprised if there is a substantial switch from the norm.
We must improve our OOC schedule and play good programs on the road and stop with all the excuses. Last year’s transition and rebuild earned a scheduling mulligan. This year no way.

From what I heard everyone is staying that is on the roster right now BUT I do think a Brickus commitment might cause Nelson to enter the portal. I think that scenario will happen soon. Take it with a grain of salt because right now I am foraging for information and my foraging is more like kicking a stick.

From what I heard everyone is staying that is on the roster right now BUT I do think a Brickus commitment might cause Nelson to enter the portal. I think that scenario will happen soon. Take it with a grain of salt because right now I am foraging for information and my foraging is more like kicking a stick.
Don't see him staying either if he is indeed coming.

If management wants to approach the Zags' national reputation, it might consider a more ambitious non-conference schedule as opposed to loading up on buy games .... which brings us to ...

We must improve our OOC schedule and play good programs on the road and stop with all the excuses. Last year’s transition and rebuild earned a scheduling mulligan. This year no way.

Supposedly we offered to play Baylor in Texas, Supposedly we offered other P5 teams to play at their place with no return games expected..... and they all declined us. (Talking bout the previous staff)

But otherwise I agree on the Notion we need to start playing good programs even if it means going on the road occasionally with no home games.

As much as I love coming to home games at the STU.... I'd much rather see us schedule competitive games on the road against P5's or other Top Mid Majors then scheduling every single game at home throughout OOC play.

Make our players go out on the Road in hostile environments prior to conference play.

Supposedly we offered to play Baylor in Texas, Supposedly we offered other P5 teams to play at their place with no return games expected..... and they all declined us. (Talking bout the previous staff)

But otherwise I agree on the Notion we need to start playing good programs even if it means going on the road occasionally with no home games.

As much as I love coming to home games at the STU.... I'd much rather see us schedule competitive games on the road against P5's or other Top Mid Majors then scheduling every single game at home throughout OOC play.

Make our players go out on the Road in hostile environments prior to conference play.
We tried to get TCU near their campus for a neutral game like a year or two ago. Teams don’t want to play us even if it’s essentially a home game for them.

DeLoach averaged 10 pts and 7 rebounds a game at VCU as a sophomore. He did not get much playing time at Georgia and now he is a Rambler. They will have an aggressive front court. I like Jalen because he is tough. The issue is that he is not a good shooter and he gets into foul trouble. As a sophomore at VCU he also had a problem with getting technical fouls for talking trash. I heard that Coach Odom and Darius Theus gave DeLoach a phone call but that was about it. My guess is that Odom wants a decent big man so Lawal can move to the 4. Lawal and DeLoach are similar players so I am in agreement that VCU needed to look in another direction.

Here is what I think will happen soon with VCU...Jhamir Brickus will commit to VCU. That will give VCU a backcourt of three 5th year players. Jhamir Brickus, Zeb Jackson and Joe Bamisile. The Brickus commitment will cause Jason Nelson to enter the transfer portal and VCU will have another open spot. At that point they need to look at big men and shooters in my opinion. Hearing that everyone else is staying. So far Roosevelt Wheeler (transfer portal) and Max Shulga (NBA evaluation) are the ones leaving.

As has been accurately stated numerous times, we cannot force teams to play us whether it is at their place, a neutral court or home and away. I feel confident that everyone from the AD down to the fans would love to have an upgraded OOC and those responsible probably work year round attempting to do so.

As has been accurately stated numerous times, we cannot force teams to play us whether it is at their place, a neutral court or home and away. I feel confident that everyone from the AD down to the fans would love to have an upgraded OOC and those responsible probably work year round attempting to do so.
Can't play teams that don't want to play us. Even if you go on the road to a stronger team, we'd be a buy game for them (since they clearly don't want home-and-homes), and those stronger teams don't want buy games where they have a real shot at losing. Case in point, I doubt Duke will have any buy games against Stephen F. Austin ever again.

DeLoach averaged 10 pts and 7 rebounds a game at VCU as a sophomore. He did not get much playing time at Georgia and now he is a Rambler. They will have an aggressive front court. I like Jalen because he is tough. The issue is that he is not a good shooter and he gets into foul trouble. As a sophomore at VCU he also had a problem with getting technical fouls for talking trash. I heard that Coach Odom and Darius Theus gave DeLoach a phone call but that was about it. My guess is that Odom wants a decent big man so Lawal can move to the 4. Lawal and DeLoach are similar players so I am in agreement that VCU needed to look in another direction.

Here is what I think will happen soon with VCU...Jhamir Brickus will commit to VCU. That will give VCU a backcourt of three 5th year players. Jhamir Brickus, Zeb Jackson and Joe Bamisile. The Brickus commitment will cause Jason Nelson to enter the transfer portal and VCU will have another open spot. At that point they need to look at big men and shooters in my opinion. Hearing that everyone else is staying. So far Roosevelt Wheeler (transfer portal) and Max Shulga (NBA evaluation) are the ones leaving.
A big body 5 that can pop out and shoot a little bit, giving Tobi freedom to play the 4 and fly around all over the place. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Zeb, Joe, Brickus (and the not going to happen long shot of Max coming back) gives us a killer experienced back court. The A10 is a guard dominated league, and that would have to be arguably the best backcourt in the A10. Fill in with a shooter or two around them and look out!

From my perspective it's time to move on from the DeLoach issue. Personally I was a DeLoach fan but he chose to move on from a good situation at VCU, made a poor decision on secondary school selection, and likely did not have a strong desire to be a Ram once again. Coach Odom and his staff will do what's in the best interest of this program. He has demonstrated that during his short tenure here. If we can hold serve in terms of player retention and can add a few nice pieces we will be fine. Hopefully we are on the cusp of some good news on the recruiting front.

Back