2024 NCAA Tourney Talk

Nice shoutout for VCU in this Lunardi article.

Here it is, to save you the time:

No. 14: Can you name the only team so far in this postseason to win multiple true road games? That would be VCU. The Rams have won NIT first- and second-round contests at Villanova and South Florida, respectively. They will now visit Utah on Wednesday in the quarterfinals with a trip to Hinkle Fieldhouse as the prize, and I like their chances. For what it's worth, the Utes wouldn't play Utah State when current VCU coach Ryan Odom was the Aggies' head man.

Very possible we play Indiana State at Hinkle. Would be a neutral site in name only.

Winning the league by 3 games is even more impressive when VCU always gets the toughest pairings.

You always need a little bit of luck but when the best team won the tournament it’s hard to say they lucked out.
I agree VCU frequently has the toughest schedule. I have not looked at SOS but I think SLU has a good argument for toughest schedule last year as they played 5 games against the top and VCU and Dayton only played 3 games against the top 4. I have a long history of dislike for the unbalanced schedule though

And while I’m at it….This past year we bought season tickets to Northwestern women’s hoops. For $150 per family, I got to take my young daughters to a bunch of games courtside at a nice arena and watch some great Big 10 talent. Northwestern was pretty terrible, but who cares. My daughters met the players, most of whom had been there multiple years playing hoops and getting an education at a fantastic institution. They are incredible young ladies.

I’m looking forward to doing that again next year more than anything having to do with the men.
This is the direction I'm heading. I have two 4yrold girls and now that I live in a town with something more than the worst D1 WBB team in the country I'll be going to lots of UVA women's games in the future (proximity is key with kiddos). They're going to be tall and it'll be nice to have some role models close by. I can't bring myself to go to any of the men's games.

Last edited:
This is the direction I'm heading. I have two 4yrold girls and now that I like in a town with something more than the worst D1 WBB team in the country I'll be going to lots of UVA women's games in the future (proximity is key with kiddos). They're going to be tall and it'll be nice to have some role models close by. I can't bring myself to go to any of the men's games.
Good stuff, and same here. I’m a super tall dude and my girls are both probably going to be close to 6 feet tall. It’s good for them to see these girls play.

Now if I could just get my 9 year old to pay attention when she plays and grab a rebound here and there. She’s basically a girl with a fork in a world of soup.

I’m with you. It’s already turned me away to an extent. No more regional conferences, coaching carousel every year, and teams basically turning over their rosters every single season. To me, one of the best parts of college hoops is witnessing the development of players from freshman to senior seasons with one program. Those days are beyond over. Of course, players and coaches have every right to job hop all they want, but that doesn’t mean fans have to enjoy it.

One reason I’m really rooting for this Shead kid at Houston. He’s one of the few who have stuck it out for four years at one program. Bacot is another. While I could never root for UNC, I really like that fella for staying true to the program.

Fertitta money helps attract & keep guys at UH.

Having a billionaire booster who loves sports is a wonderful thing, especially good when they also own consumer facing businesses that allow for an NIL cover. Crazy thing is he is he didn’t graduate…..

Since UVA lost in the First Four, the ACC has gone 8-0 and has 25% of the teams in the Sweet 16.

The Big 12 gets their normal regular season hype and a bunch of teams in the tournament. And big surprise, they underperform again.

Same with the SEC. MAYBE THE METRICS USED AREN’T INDICATIVE OF THE QUALITY OF THE TEAMS OR THE CONFERENCES.
Ya think? Not intended as sarcasm directed at you. It’s ridiculous. Every year the metrics include a rash of teams from certain conferences that get smoked early and leave one scratching their heads asking “how in the he!! did that team get in”? Formula transparency people!!!

Ya think? Not intended as sarcasm directed at you. It’s ridiculous. Every year the metrics include a rash of teams from certain conferences that get smoked early and leave one scratching their heads asking “how in the he!! did that team get in”? Formula transparency people!!!

Amazing, isn’t it? You give Indiana State an 11 seed in the South bracket and they are very likely in the sweet sixteen right now. That goofy chonky fella with the glasses is super famous. Their coach is the next big thing. Instead, they’re playing in the friggin NIT. Same could probably be said for a few more NIT teams.

I agree VCU frequently has the toughest schedule. I have not looked at SOS but I think SLU has a good argument for toughest schedule last year as they played 5 games against the top and VCU and Dayton only played 3 games against the top 4. I have a long history of dislike for the unbalanced schedule though
Well that is only because VCU and Dayton were both in the top 4 and they cannot play themselves. Meaning less opportunities. Also, maybe a better measure would be true SOS or record against the top half of the league.

Last edited:
Well that is only because VCU and DAyton were both in the top 4 and they cannot play themselves. Meaning less opportunities. Also, maybe a better measure would be true SOS or record against the top half of the league.
I completely agree. As such I took a quick look at Torvik. Last year, statistically, we had the 4th over Conference SOS. We generally are in the top 4 of SOS year after year and a couple times when we finished 2nd we had the 2nd overall Conf SOS. Prior to last year the last time we won the Conf outright, we had the 14th Conf SOS. As such, I still contend that winning the league is a great honor and great to use for seeding but definitely not a measure of the best team independent of other factors.

Back