A HC and a Few Players Decide to Leave

rammad90

Elite Member
Mike was a HC at VCU. However, he wasnt "the' HC at VCU. That title belongs to Shaka Smart. Maybe JD Barnett.

Seriously, in the pantheon of former VCU Head Coaches realistically where the heck does Mike sit? Maybe 8th. possibly 7th? SS, JD, Dana, AG. WW, Chuck Noe, Capel, maybe even Benny Dees were all more impactful on the program, and most would argue better HC's.

Now to Ace. I love the young man's game. I dont know him off the court but do know a few adults who are familiar so I cannot say that I like him personally. I love his grit and his style but in the list of VCU greats or near greats where does he sit today? Kenrick, Maynor, Stinnie, Dark, Jabo, CD, Burgess, Henderson, Sherod, Mills, Bernie Harris, Stancell, Larry? Where does Ace fit today?

I guess my point is let's not act as if losing these two and maybe a handful of others is going to change or end what oh so many have built. Let's stop lamenting their loss as to do so may give it a level credence that it does not deserve.

Ace could have been an all time great. Now he is just one of many good players who have passed through. Mike could have built a legacy. Now he is just one of many that passed through and other than controversy not a very memorable one at that. Seriously, what did Mike give us or add other than a retread of what SS had already established and WW had torn down some.

We stil have great fans, a great infrastructure, great facilities, a supporting city, great location, great students, great university, great alum, great new HC., and a great future. What's not to love? So, let's leave Mike and anyone else in our rear view.

If they dont want to be here we dont want them just that simple. Its time to move on. Moreover, we really dont have the time or energy to waste on those guys.
We've got work to do.

So let's stop wasting our time on the past. and start building on a new and even brighter future. Let's not let the decision of a few overshadow what we have built and what we have. We are not a one trick pony. We are not PSU.

Its time too move forward. Go Rams!

Do we know for sure Ace is gone?
It really doesnt matter if he is gone or not. VCU needs to get past the fact that we have been left. We also need to realize that we weren't that in love in the first place.

If any player wants to come back. Welcome back. If you want to go and believe its in your best interest Bye Felecia.

Time to move on.

Last edited:
The coaches definitely have to move on in the portal. We can’t afford to miss out on the better players in the portal because we’re hoping to get some of our guys back. The coaches need to build a competitive roster ASAP. And the current players need to understand that they’re welcome to stay in the program right now, but that the window for that could close soon. If someone decides to come back in 2-3 weeks and there’s no longer a scholarship available, then that’s just the breaks.

The coaches definitely have to move on in the portal. We can’t afford to miss out on the better players in the portal because we’re hoping to get some of our guys back. The coaches need to build a competitive roster ASAP. And the current players need to understand that they’re welcome to stay in the program right now, but that the window for that could close soon. If someone decides to come back in 2-3 weeks and there’s no longer a scholarship available, then that’s just the breaks.
Yep it works both ways. We cannot sit around and hope a guy doesnt get a better offer. If they want to be here well, welcomed about, if that's what Coach Odom wants.

If not good luck, but we cannot set around waiting. That is not what made us the 40th most valuable college sports program and that's not what made VCU the program that we all love.

So yes, totally agree with you.

Our guys in the portal are guys being recruited now, like everyone else. Opportunities come and go and they do it fast on both ends. I still hope a few see that there is a lot of green grass at VCU, but we can't wait long for that.

Back