A10 Optimal Tourney Location by Distance

So while I was at the A10 tournament in DC this weekend, I was feeling very grateful to only have to drive 2 hours to get to the game, versus the normal 6+ hours it would take to get to NYC or even Pittsburgh. So it got me thinking about some things. 1) GWU apparently doesn't have any fans who are willing to travel 3 metro stops to support their team in a tournament and 2) Where would the optimal place to hold a tournament be?

Using the website, http://www.geomidpoint.com/, I plugged in the addresses of all of the A10 teams to determine where the midpoint and center of minimum distance were (they are different things). It turns out, that this years tournament was pretty darn close to being in the optimal spot for the tournament, distance wise... not taking into account airports vs driving for SLU, Dayton, etc.

Apparently the center of minimum distance is:
715 Beall Ave, Rockville, MD 20850, USA

(The "M" is hidden behind the point for GWU)

Which is only 15 miles as the crow flies from the Capitol One Arena.
Pittsburgh, 177 miles.
Barclay Center, 202 miles

A10_Teams_-_Center_of_Min_50.png
Center.PNG

Oh, I spoke to the A10 commissioner on Wednesday and she said that after 3 years in Brooklyn, they will be looking at other possible venues, including NYC, DC, Pittsburgh, and even Richmond (assuming the new arena can be built in 3 years time..........).

Oh, I spoke to the A10 commissioner on Wednesday and she said that after 3 years in Brooklyn, they will be looking at other possible venues, including NYC, DC, Pittsburgh, and even Richmond (assuming the new arena can be built in 3 years time..........).
Did you mention the pitiful refereeing at this tournament when you spoke to her?

DC airports are so much better than the NY ones. Doing NYC every few years is fun but every year, the fun wears off.

Back