Ace Holds All the Cards

rammad90

Elite Member
Now that it looks like Mike is gone, what's next for VCU? IMO Ace not Mike holds all the cards.

If he stays, other guys will stay and we will be a very good team. If he leaves things get more challenging.

Ace's decision isnt as straight forward as Mike's. Mike doubles his money coaches at a P5 in his home state. Win, win, win. If he messes up he goes back down to MM and still likely collects a million plus. Fwiw, I think that's the likes outcome but what the heck do I know.

For Ace the math isnt the same.

Now maybe Mike can get Ace some NIL money. Let's say maybe a couple hundred thousand. Ace gets to square off against Big10 talent and show case his skills. However, those rewards come with big risks. Make no mistake Ace has designs on the NBA (who doesnt). The difference is Ace is close but unlike Bones, he is no lock.

Ace can take the money and run but he will likely be on a mediocre team that doesnt dance (less exposure). He likely isnt 1st team all Big10, CPOY or DPOY. Now his stock drops. He might have to come back for the 5th Covid year which he likely doesnt want to do. Why? He wants to play in the NBA and his family needs the money.

At VCU he statys, his guys stay, and with Odom they are a better team, he dominates the A10 or at minimum he 1st team and all defense plus moving up the all time list for VCU. His NBA stock improves or at the very least doesnt drop, and his overseas stock continues to rise (say he starts at 150k instead of 50k per year
minimum). If he needs the 5th year he goes on the open market and gets much more than Penn State can give and he plays on a contender. Oh I forgot he can test the NBA water and make adjustments to his game at VCU. (easier to do when you are the man and the best guy on the floor.

So yeah, Ace can ride with Mike and make a bit of coin. But VCU could likely get him 100k, and he is worth at least that to us. And with us he really does have more viable options. Mike wont get him more than 200k as Penn State was having a hard time reading 500k for next year and Mike will need to bring in a few more studs. Ace is good and a game changer for us, but he isnt the guy you can spend your entire wad on and expect to get other guys who can help in the Big10.

We will see. My hope is Ed has already had a talk with Ace and his Mom this morning or last nigh (preferably last night), and Coach Odom has already reached out as well.

Now I am not discounting JD, Nunn, Kern, Watkins, or Zeb. All important pieces. However, right now Ace holds all the cards.

Now that it looks like Mike is gone, what's next for VCU? IMO Ace not Mike holds all the cards.

If he stays, other guys will stay and we will be a very good team. If he leaves things get more challenging.

Ace's decision isnt as straight forward as Mike's. Mike doubles his money coaches at a P5 in his home state. Win, win, win. If he messes up he goes back down to MM and still likely collects a million plus. Fwiw, I think that's the likes outcome but what the heck do I know.

Now maybe Mike can get Ace some NIL money. Let's say maybe a couple hundred thousand. Ace gets to square off against Big10 talent and show case his skills. However, those rewards come with big risks. Make no mistake Ace has designs on the NBA (who doesnt). The difference is Ace is close but unlike Bones, he is no lock.

Ace can take the money and run but he will likely be on a mediocre team that doesnt dance (less exposure). He likely isnt 1st team all Big10, CPOY or DPOY. Now his stock drops. He might have to come back for the 5th Covid year which he likely doesnt want to do. Why? He wants to play in the NBA and his family needs the money.

At VCU he statys, his guys stay, and with Odom they are a better team, he dominates the A10 or at minimum he 1st team and all defense plus moving up the all time list for VCU. His NBA stock improves or at the very least doesnt drop, and his overseas stock continues to rise (say he starts at 150k instead of 50k per year
minimum). If he needs the 5th year he goes on the open market and gets much more than Penn State can give and he plays on a contender. Oh I forgot he can test the NBA water and make adjustments to his game at VCU. (easier to do when you are the man and the best guy on the floor.

So yeah, Ace can ride with Mike and make a bit of coin. But VCU could likely get him 100k, and he is worth at least that to us. And with us he really does have more viable options. Mike wont get him more than 200k as Penn State was having a hard time reading 500k for next year and Mike will need to bring in a few more studs. Ace is good and a game changer for us, but he isnt the guy you can spend your entire wad on and expect to get other guys who can help in the Big10.

We will see. My hope is Ed has already had a talk with Ace and his Mom this morning or last nigh (preferably last night), and Coach Odom has already reached out as well.

Now I am not discounting JD, Nunn, Kern, Watkins, or Zeb. All important pieces. However, right now Ace holds all the cards.
Ace goes for the biggest paycheck; exactly like Rhoades did.

Well....if Ace bolts, maybe Odom can get on the horn to Jayden Reid in NYC AND Tyler Nickel in the portal.....they would KILL IT here and get immediate PT

Ace goes for the biggest paycheck; exactly like Rhoades did.
Not questioning that. However, if you read my post. The question is "what is the biggest paycheck".?

For example, when I graduated from professional school, I was told to take the best job, not the best paying job if given the choice. As the best job would lead to better opportunities and more money at the end of the day.

Ace and his team really need to determine if they want to play the long game instead of immediate gratification. Therefore, the highest paycheck may not be the option that provides the most immediate money.

The 1 player we might hold on to is Zeb. He has had his free transfer, right? With the waiver rules, he can't get a waiver for coaching changes. He would have to sit for a year, correct?
Personally, Mikes not Shaka. These guys weren't held together by Mike alone. I think we can retain a few of them, that is unless their is a great deal of money being tossed their way.

For me this emphasizes the need for the entire Athletic Department as well as the student body to engage with our students athletes regularly. That way when one guy leaves its not a mass exodus. We are not in the position where we keep these guys isolated any longer.

Ace is the leader and for the most part the rest of the team goes the way he goes. If he leaves, everyone leaves. If he stays and gives Odom a chance...we might not lose as many pieces.

Ace is the leader and for the most part the rest of the team goes the way he goes. If he leaves, everyone leaves. If he stays and gives Odom a chance...we might not lose as many pieces.
Which is why I stated he holds all the keys right now.

If Ace leaves, I hope he’s smart enough to get what he’s worth instead of following Mike to Penn State. He could go to a blue blood all day.

Ace if you’re somehow reading this, you’re in a good spot at VCU. However, if you want to go get more NIL money, find a spot that will set you up for a national title run. Whatever you choose, don’t sell yourself short.

If Ace leaves, I hope he’s smart enough to get what he’s worth instead of following Mike to Penn State. He could go to a blue blood all day.

Ace if you’re somehow reading this, you’re in a good spot at VCU. However, if you want to go get more NIL money, find a spot that will set you up for a national title run. Whatever you choose, don’t sell yourself short.
I would think Ace would transfer to a team where the NCAA tournament is a possibility. Is that PSU, I don't think so.

Not questioning that. However, if you read my post. The question is "what is the biggest paycheck".?

For example, when I graduated from professional school, I was told to take the best job, not the best paying job if given the choice. As the best job would lead to better opportunities and more money at the end of the day.

Ace and his team really need to determine if they want to play the long game instead of immediate gratification. Therefore, the highest paycheck may not be the option that provides the most immediate money.
I think the best option for Ace is to stay put. His best chance of getting drafted high is here. He knows the players and will be given the green light here. I also think he can stay healthy here. He will get the best NIL package we can muster. But his real pay day will be on draft day.
if he jumps ship, who knows how well he can navigate a new team and league.

I would think Ace would transfer to a team where the NCAA tournament is a possibility. Is that PSU, I don't think so.
Yeah, a few weeks ago Ace hoisted an A10 tourney trophy over his head, he celebrated for maybe an hour, then I bet he wasn't satisfied.
If he leaves I hope he goes somewhere he has a chance to hoist a National Championship trophy over his head. And definitely PSU isn't that place.

Back