adjehi-baru

No clue, doubt if it would have mattered. He signed with Charleston which was the same school that signed the kid he was living with and playing ball with and whose father even became Baru's legal guardian. I think it is safe to say that Charleston had the inside track.

as well as a kid named ben bennett (i think) from Steward that ended up at CofC...that kid was very slight of build and never really materialized as far as I know...was immature in HS kinda of head case the times i saw him play

Anthony Grant and Alabama were very involved early. They knew of him when he was here. Early word was that he was going to bama. The coaches son from steward had a total of 2 Division three scholarship offers - that's it...D3 only. Clearly the coach worked a deal with Cremins - take my son and you get Baru. 2 for 1. Cremins gets a great player. Smart coach.

compliance officer aisle 3...cleanup in aisle 3...complainance officer aisle 3

wavevcu said:
Anthony Grant and Alabama were very involved early. They knew of him when he was here. Early word was that he was going to bama. The coaches son from steward had a total of 2 Division three scholarship offers - that's it...D3 only. Clearly the coach worked a deal with Cremins - take my son and you get Baru. 2 for 1. Cremins gets a great player. Smart coach.

This...all day. Should have NCAA investigation written all over it!

wavevcu said:

Wasn't this the guy Grant stashed up there while he was at VCU?

wavevcu said:
The coaches son from steward had a total of 2 Division three scholarship offers - that's it...D3 only. Clearly the coach worked a deal with Cremins - take my son and you get Baru. 2 for 1. Cremins gets a great player. Smart coach.

and you know who loses in this situation? baru.
what a shame of a legal guardian. :roll:

major ram said:
as well as a kid named ben bennett (i think) from Steward that ended up at CofC...that kid was very slight of build and never really materialized as far as I know...was immature in HS kinda of head case the times i saw him play

Major - you're thinking of 6-10 Ben Brown ... Ben signed with College of Charleston, but didn't qualify academically and landed at Winchendon School, Mass., along with Tyree Evans.

Brown was implicated in the same legal mess, at Winchendon, that sent Evans' on a long tailspin. I don't know what ever came of Ben, who played at Steward under Butch Keller (now elsewhere).

From the Big and Tall Men's Department: Still unsigned on local front is Cosby senior Matt Gorski, listed at 7-0, 250. "The Gorsk" has a 6-8 sophomore brother, Nick.

I'm sure Shaka checked him out as well, but that wasn't going to work out.

Interestingly, Baru apparently signed back in November but kept it a secret, and it seems that the other schools on his list (and perhaps others) continued recruiting him like he would be a late signee. I don't remember anyone else keeping his signing of a letter of intent a secret for weeks. Of course, he might have kept it secret from Cremins as well. ;-)

Baru's is a traditional "big upside" guy--good body, long arms, jumps well, high energy, good timing on blocked shots, not too polished offensively. From what I hear, he's also a good kid who works very hard on his game. I hope he wasn't used (or overly influenced) by the adults in his life.

bighorn said:
major ram said:

Major - you're thinking of 6-10 Ben Brown ... Ben signed with College of Charleston, but didn't qualify academically and landed at Winchendon School, Mass., along with Tyree Evans.

Brown was implicated in the same legal mess, at Winchendon, that sent Evans' on a long tailspin. I don't know what ever came of Ben, who played at Steward under Butch Keller (now elsewhere).

From the Big and Tall Men's Department: Still unsigned on local front is Cosby senior Matt Gorski, listed at 7-0, 250. "The Gorsk" has a 6-8 sophomore brother, Nick.

Bighorn, have you seen Gorski play? He makes Sam Harris look like an all-star...... There is a reason that he is still unsigned. The brother is marginally better and bears watching. There are other players on Cosby worth watching however.

Baru is a 4-Star recruit(Scout.com), and more specifically is the #3 rated Center and #45 rated overall player in the country.

As mentioned earlier, this is the same kid that Anthony recruited while he was at VCU and later at Alabama. Baru is from the Ivory Coast.

Baru's final-four were Maryland, North Carolina, Va. Tech and C of C. All made firm offers. The money was on Maryland to land him all along until Carolina entered the picture. At the end of the day Cremins established a very close relationship with the Branin family and offered Pat Branin a scholarship as well. Although this was an obvious way to induce Baru to sign with Charleston, it's also legitimate. A good piece of recruiting by Cremins to land a "Franchise" player.

Many might recall that Cremins pulled off a similar coup in 1988 by landing NYC legend Kenny Anderson when he was the head coach at Ga. Tech. I think Anderson was the number one rated player in the country at the time.

Cremins is a great salesman, always has been.

Back