Recruiting Antravious Simmons 2013 PF (Miami, FL)

Article from the CT Sports Blog on Simmons and Shaka going down to see him:
http://www.commonwealthtimes.org/2011/1 ... uth-beach/

VCU third-year head coach Shaka Smart took his talents to South Beach Monday in an attempt to pry away a 2013 late-blooming prospect from Miami that has turned into such a hot commodity, new Miami Hurricanes head coach Jim Larranaga gave up on trying to keep him in the city this past summer.

Smart was there to attend South Miami High, where he watched 6-foot-8, 215-pound junior power forward Antravious Simmons , an energetic big man who has blossomed into an elite rebounder on the defensive end and features a mostly back-to-the-basket, low-post offensive skill set thus far.

“Shaka came by the school yesterday and before the game they watched film together … and Shaka gave him some pointers and some things he could work on and then he stayed for the game,” Stock said. “He didn’t say what it was specifically but he said that Shaka helped him and Shaka talked to him and the South Miami head coach for at least 30 minutes after the game in their office.”

“I remember with Joey(getting recruited by VCU) in high school and that was a big deal … the fact that they got players down there in the state is something they can always sell to future kids,” Stock said. “I think what they did last year is such a credible thing … its not ‘oh, VCU, nice mid-major program.’ Now it’s a Final Four program and that’s something you can always sell and every kid knows that.

“And I think it can definitely make an impact when it comes to recruiting.”

districtballer said:
Article from the CT Sports Blog on Simmons and Shaka going down to see him:
http://www.commonwealthtimes.org/2011/1 ... uth-beach/

VCU third-year head coach Shaka Smart took his talents to South Beach Monday in an attempt to pry away a 2013 late-blooming prospect from Miami that has turned into such a hot commodity, new Miami Hurricanes head coach Jim Larranaga gave up on trying to keep him in the city this past summer.

Smart was there to attend South Miami High, where he watched 6-foot-8, 215-pound junior power forward Antravious Simmons , an energetic big man who has blossomed into an elite rebounder on the defensive end and features a mostly back-to-the-basket, low-post offensive skill set thus far.

“Shaka came by the school yesterday and before the game they watched film together … and Shaka gave him some pointers and some things he could work on and then he stayed for the game,” Stock said. “He didn’t say what it was specifically but he said that Shaka helped him and Shaka talked to him and the South Miami head coach for at least 30 minutes after the game in their office.”

I've been trying to find good articles on Simmons for A LONG TIME; the commonwealth times did a great job of getting this info! From what little I've read in addition to this article, this guy sounds he would be a great pickup! I keep thinking Sherron Mills. Mills was the other power forward who played with Kendrick Warren; He was actually better all-around game than Kendrick.

“I remember with Joey(getting recruited by VCU) in high school and that was a big deal … the fact that they got players down there in the state is something they can always sell to future kids,” Stock said. “I think what they did last year is such a credible thing … its not ‘oh, VCU, nice mid-major program.’ Now it’s a Final Four program and that’s something you can always sell and every kid knows that.

“And I think it can definitely make an impact when it comes to recruiting.”

Yeah, but South Miami is about 15 miles from South Beach.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... us-simmons

Class of 2013 power forward/center Antravious Simmons (Miami, Fla./ South Miami) has been dropping pounds and picking up scholarship offers. The former football offensive lineman -- more specifically left tackle -- has lost more than 40 pounds after giving up the gridiron for the basketball court and the 6-foot-9, 230-pound low-post threat is excelling at a high level.

Courtesy of South Miami HS
Antravious Simmons already has offers from Maryland, Clemson and Kansas State, among others.Simmons is a traditional power forward/center with very good hands and matching post moves who can finish through contact or draw the foul on a consistent basis. He can rebound in and out of his area, block shots and face to about 15 feet with time and space but must continue to work to improve his athleticism.

"Posting up is what I do best and my hook shot is my go-to move," Simmons said. "I need to work on my shot-block timing but it is getting better."

"Antravious is very coachable. We challenged him and he never broke, this kid wants to get better," sais Kenny Gillion of Team Breakdown, who Simmons will run with this spring and summer on the AAU/travel team circuit.

This dude is a former left Offensive Tackle...He was 6'9 270 at 15?!!! now 6'9 230. A back to the basket player...wonderful! Hope he comes here!

Simmons currently has offers from South Florida, Alabama, Kansas State, Central Florida, VCU, Florida Gulf Coast, Maryland, Clemson and FIU, as well as strong interest from Memphis.

"Antravious is a great listener, a very quick learner and well-rounded kid," Doctor said. "He has a great personality, is respectable and a very hard worker. He has a good feel for the game, doesn't force things and is a great passer out of the double team."

Simmons seems to have the size, strength and ability to score in the low post and rebound that college coaches get excited about. He is starting to come into his own and has put himself on the radar with his production. Simmons is definitely a player on the rise and one to watch.

That is some solid competition, but how awesome would it be to snag one from The Whistler's backyard?

Alabama, VCU on top for 2013 hoops star

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/col...d/2420/alabama-vcu-on-top-for-2013-hoops-star

According to South Miami head coach Robert Doctor, Simmons has a top five that includes Alabama, Memphis, South Carolina, South Florida and VCU. But if you ask the 6-foot-9 post player, he has two schools that currently stand out: Alabama and VCU.

“At Alabama, I just started talking to Coach Grant,” Simmons said. “I like the way he is. He told me he likes the way I play, the style I play in and that I’m a back-to-the-basket kind of guy. I also like the players and the way they play. With VCU, I just like the coaching staff.”

Grant's giving us a run for our money to get this kid. I hope the A.D. situation doesn't cause us to lose this kid.

Grant's giving us a run for our money to get this kid. I hope the A.D. situation doesn't cause us to lose this kid.
I can't possibly imagine how that could make an iota of difference in the recruitment of this kid.

I can't possibly imagine how that could make an iota of difference in the recruitment of this kid.

I dunno...maybe Grant spins it to the the kid like this..."VCU's AD is in flux...they don't know what conference their going to be in...you better off playing in the SEC..."

Back