College Basketball "Free Agency"

Should there be a one year sit penalty for college basketball transfers?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

CapCityBullies

Elite Member
I don't know if anyone has posted this article yet, nor if it should get its own thread, but after reading this.. Wow.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17501805

Look, we all know the NCAA is wild and some things need to change. My main fear is that taking away the penalty would really hurt schools at most levels. I'd think the "blue bloods" would become chalked full of transfers/the best players from lower conferences/unsuccessful teams. And other programs would become a sort of minor league system/pipeline to those.

I know it makes sense for some students in some situations (Like the GW situation)

But what about the helicopter parents who are in their child's ear constantly thinking they deserve MJ minutes?

One quote from that article: "Many coaches contacted by ESPN fear that last year's number could rise to well over 1,000 if kids don't have to sit a year and you'll see coaches literally recruiting kids who aren't getting minutes in the handshake line following games."

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Suppose it hurt the schools. How would it impact the athletes? Would the benefit to the athletes outweigh the cost to the schools?

Honestly, I think the schools will be more or less all right come what may, so I'm more interested in the other side.

Fully grown at 5'7" in four inch heels, my mother always told me I was the best basketball player on my 5th grade AAU team. I deserve MJ minutes.

I don't know if anyone has posted this article yet, nor if it should get its own thread, but after reading this.. Wow.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17501805

Look, we all know the NCAA is wild and some things need to change. My main fear is that taking away the penalty would really hurt schools at most levels. I'd think the "blue bloods" would become chalked full of transfers/the best players from lower conferences/unsuccessful teams. And other programs would become a sort of minor league system/pipeline to those.

I know it makes sense for some students in some situations (Like the GW situation)

But what about the helicopter parents who are in their child's ear constantly thinking they deserve MJ minutes?

One quote from that article: "Many coaches contacted by ESPN fear that last year's number could rise to well over 1,000 if kids don't have to sit a year and you'll see coaches literally recruiting kids who aren't getting minutes in the handshake line following games."

Thoughts?
I posted it about a week ago. I think the sit a year is ridiculous. If it is really important for the programs, then the same should apply to the Coaches. Let's face it with Million dollar coaches being the norm. And multimillion dollar Athletic Departments, College Basketball and Football is a business.

It is extremely inequitable to require these young people to have to sit out a year, and even the schools having the ability to restrict their movements when the restrictions only apply the the student athletes, and not any one else in the Athletic department.

I posted it about a week ago. I think the sit a year is ridiculous. If it is really important for the programs, then the same should apply to the Coaches. Let's face it with Million dollar coaches being the norm. And multimillion dollar Athletic Departments, College Basketball and Football is a business.

It is extremely inequitable to require these young people to have to sit out a year, and even the schools having the ability to restrict their movements when the restrictions only apply the the student athletes, and not any one else in the Athletic department.

I agree with the sentiment behind this, but how do you prevent player sniping? How do you prevent Coach X losing a player unexpectedly and not finding a way to snag a star player from a lower level?

We are a MM. A great one, but still a MM. Let's use Treveon Graham as a hypothetical example- not crazy highly rated out of HS, comes here for 2-3 years and then Duke/Kansas/UK whoever was at the top at that time, contacts him after his junior year and says, "hey, come finish off your career and lead our young team." Tre loves VCU, VCU loves Tre, but you can't say it wouldn't be tempting to go finish his career off on that stage.

Also, how can a coach enforce anything, really, without that penalty? Hey, player x, you need to start doing this or you aren't going to keep getting as many minutes.. "it's cool, I'll just transfer." Sure, that might work in our favor, too. But maybe limit the number of times someone can use that? I don't know. Something has to change, but with each passing generation the "grass is always greener" sentiment grows. It's dangerous.

I disagree.... if you open up college basketball to this idea of "free agency".... there goes all stability in college athletics. Players might play 4 different seasons at 4 different schools. Some players may even transfer mid season.... because they don't like the fact that they don't get a lot of playing time as freshmen.

Or... you may get players at a non-power 5 school that have a breakout season & the next year they might jump ship to a top tier program..... For example.... Eric Maynor after the 06-07 season when he led us to a comeback in the CAA Champ. game against Mason, and then hit the Dagger vs. Duke..... if there was this free agency idea.... he could've been as good as gone after that season & playing for a Power 5 school the next year.... Cause I'm pretty sure there would've been some power 5 schools that would've taken him in a heart beat after that season. Do you really want that?

You need to have some stability or structure to prevent constant transferring.....

I for one also think that the Death in the family/coach getting fired reasons often get taken advantage of in terms of transfer overrides (so they don't have to sit a year)

I disagree.... if you open up college basketball to this idea of "free agency".... there goes all stability in college athletics. Players might play 4 different seasons at 4 different schools. Some players may even transfer mid season.... because they don't like the fact that they don't get a lot of playing time as freshmen.

Or... you may get players at a non-power 5 school that have a breakout season & the next year they might jump ship to a top tier program..... For example.... Eric Maynor after the 06-07 season when he led us to a comeback in the CAA Champ. game against Mason, and then hit the Dagger vs. Duke..... if there was this free agency idea.... he could've been as good as gone after that season & playing for a Power 5 school the next year.... Cause I'm pretty sure there would've been some power 5 schools that would've taken him in a heart beat after that season. Do you really want that?

You need to have some stability or structure to prevent constant transferring.....

I for one also think that the Death in the family/coach getting fired reasons often get taken advantage of in terms of transfer overrides (so they don't have to sit a year)

We wrote essentially the same post-- haha. Amen.

Yes.

/thread

I generally agree, but the one counterargument I can see is that transferring pretty much always slows down academic progress (either different gen ed requirements, or just the time it takes to adjust to a new system). So if we're going to insist on paying the athletes in scrip, I don't mind forcing programs to cough up a fifth year of support to ease that transition. I'm not sure that counters the benefits to the student of being able to play right a way, but it is a consideration.

If I didn't think programs would abuse it, I'd say leave it up to the student. But in anything but basketball the program holds pretty much all the cards, so I don't think that's a workable policy.

I generally agree, but the one counterargument I can see is that transferring pretty much always slows down academic progress (either different gen ed requirements, or just the time it takes to adjust to a new system). So if we're going to insist on paying the athletes in scrip, I don't mind forcing programs to cough up a fifth year of support to ease that transition. I'm not sure that counters the benefits to the student of being able to play right a way, but it is a consideration.

If I didn't think programs would abuse it, I'd say leave it up to the student. But in anything but basketball the program holds pretty much all the cards, so I don't think that's a workable policy.
I would say that in the terms of academic progress, it's up to the athlete to decide what they value more - a more desirable basketball situation, or a potential setback academically. Their decision should be their own, and I don't think it's really up to anyone else to tell them which they should choose to prioritize.

That's totally fair. I'm open to the idea that there should be pressure on the destination university to shoulder some of the costs of transferring, but maybe the normal redshirt rules are enough to cover that scenario if the program and the student agree. I'm convinced if you can give me protection for the students who lose their scholarships to an incoming transfer.

Back