College Basketball General Manager

BradRamFan

Elite Member
I posted this in the recruiting>portal thread too but thought it might deserves some discussion.

I had jokingly mentioned a couple of weeks ago that schools may have to start to think about hiring general managers for their basketball team. With the huge number of players in the portal, foreign players and HS players along with NIL management, scouting players, scheduling and coordination, the job can be overwhelming for coaches and staff. It would be an added expense including staff and additional resources.......a difficulty for many mid-majors (in addition to securing NIL monies for the program).

Well, WVU just announced that they have hired a general manager for their men's bball team. I am sure others will follow. Just another step into turning fun college basketball into a pro-sports program :( Just something to think about, consider and discuss.

I
I posted this in the recruiting>portal thread too but thought it might deserves some discussion.

I had jokingly mentioned a couple of weeks ago that schools may have to start to think about hiring general managers for their basketball team. With the huge number of players in the portal, foreign players and HS players along with NIL management, scouting players, scheduling and coordination, the job can be overwhelming for coaches and staff. It would be an added expense including staff and additional resources.......a difficulty for many mid-majors (in addition to securing NIL monies for the program).

Well, WVU just announced that they have hired a general manager for their men's bball team. I am sure others will follow. Just another step into turning fun college basketball into a pro-sports program :( Just something to think about, consider and discuss.

This trend started in earnest last year

Etc

That is an absurd waste of money. This is workload the current staff should be able to absorb. You are only adding a money/ cash piece to the scholarship offer. There will clearly be a price tag a player has. If you can hit it, you will likely land your prospect. If you cant, you will have to move on to a different prospect. But a lot of big companies have a lot of unnecessary positions that are simply a money drain. So there will be programs that create these positions and other "me too" schools that follow them thinking it is best practices bc some bigger program does it.

A GM in college basketball? Isn't that essentially what the AD is?
An AD today, particularly at Enormous State University, runs a multi-sport conglomerate. Kinda like the Fenway Sports Group. The teams they have - Red Sox, Penguins, Liverpool FC - all have their own GMs.

I just feel like this kind of arms race is inevitable when there's so much money available. I have no idea where this genie will take us. I just know it's not back into the bottle.

I

This trend started in earnest last year

Etc
Hernandez was on WW staff at VCU and LSU as Dir of Operations (DOBO).

Back