Finding something good in last night's disaster

2019 - VCU at St Bonny - VCU wins by 30 (VCU danced in 2019)
- VCU vs St Bonny - VCU wins by 28
2021 - VCU at St Bonny - VCU loses by 16
2021 - VCU vs St Bonny - VCU wins by 3
2021 - VCU vs St Bonny - VCU loses by 9 (A-10 tourney final in Dayton (COVID); St Bonny danced; VCU danced in 2021)
2022 - VCU at St Bonny - VCU loses by 20
2022 - VCU vs St Bonny - VCU wins by 23
2023 - VCU vs St Bonny - VCU loses by 3 (VCU danced in 2023)
- VCU vs St Bonny - VCU loses by 11

MSU had 51 points in the first half. PSU had 61 for the game. Ace with 2 points and 0 of 7 from the field. Trust the process and fight like crazy.
Well. I can't believe I'm saying this.. but Mike Rhoades maybe turning in the worst seasonal performance of any VCU coach (past or present) since Sonny Smith.

His coaching decisions off the court will continue to be his undoing

He brought in Ace to be the leader of this team then turned around and handed the car keys over to Clary. The above decision ruined any chance of getting players to buy into his system.

Clary's is a ball hog. His stats are great but he almost never looks to involve other players. What's worse is MR undercut Ace's on court authoritty by taking the ball and the offense out his hands...Players look uninterested and confused because the one guy who should be leader is no longer in charge..as a result, player don't communicate to each other on either side of the ball. nothing but finger pointing and blaming..

The Lee O'boyle experiment is a complete disaster...You can't give minutes to a guy with no athletic prowess, no defensive instinct and can't get his shot offense against big 10 competition at the center spot!!!

Last edited:
Oh, he's just getting started. You ain't seen nothing yet. It's gonna be epic.
I don't know about that...he still has a long way to go before he reaches Paul Hewitt or worse yet Patrick Ewing levels of Coaching incompetence

He's still looking really bad though..

His Penn state press conference give off a completely vibe than any time at VCU. He has absolutely no confidence in this roster..he doesn't say it but you pick it up from his tone and demeanor..and it's really all on him..

It will be interesting to see when he loses the locker room

im sure the money is nice but the epic losing will be painful
Nothing worse in sports than losing every night and expecting a loss every time you take the floor.

I don't know about that...he still has a long way to go before he reaches Paul Hewitt or worse yet Patrick Ewing levels of Coaching incompetence

He's still looking really bad though..
Looks like he's avoided Blaine Taylor territory. Hard to top that season.

Looks like he's avoided Blaine Taylor territory. Hard to top that season.
Patrick Ewing's coaching stint career at Georgetown is the greatest debacle in my life time..he was not only a horrible coach but implemented a cancerous dynamic between the players, the coaching staff and the AD. It may take a decade for the BBall program to recover.

What Paul Hewitt did a Mason is a distant second.

From a VCU standpoint. You and I both lived to thru Polio and Sonny Smith...nothing compares to the VCU dark age of basketball..That's why I always ..as a vcu fan..you gotta be thankful for what you've got..it could always be alot worse.

Last edited:
The silver lining for me is that I've seen this all before. In year 1 at USU, Odom's team was quite inconsistent shooting and played very porous defense. By the end of the year both of those things improved enough that the team got an NIT bid, something Aggie fans would've never expected. Year 2 started with pretty porous defense, but that improved significantly down the stretch and helped the Aggies win a lot of games. It's a "poopshow" when it isn't working, but a thing of beauty when the team executes.

I feel for Ace, it was tough to see him in the PSU uniform when we played them. At the same time, what is happening over there was predictable. They were never going to be good this season, and there was another guard who'd take the ball out of his hands. He had a tough choice to make between the known vs. unknown evil and in hindsight I'm wondering if he thinks the unknown evil would've been better in hindsight.

I feel for Ace, it was tough to see him in the PSU uniform when we played them. At the same time, what is happening over there was predictable. They were never going to be good this season, and there was another guard who'd take the ball out of his hands. He had a tough choice to make between the known vs. unknown evil and in hindsight I'm wondering if he thinks the unknown evil would've been better in hihindsight.
Actually, they have the talent to be really good on paper. Rhoades f'd it up by deciding by selling Ace on the opportunity to be the leader of this team and then turning around making Clary the PG.

Clary isn't a facilitator , there is clearly a rift between Ace and Rhoades. By doing this, Rhoades cut off any chance of the rest of roster from buying into his offensive or defensive system..as a result it's every player for himself..you can see it in their body language.

Well. I can't believe I'm saying this.. but Mike Rhoades maybe turning in the worst seasonal performance of any VCU coach (past or present) since Sonny Smith.
In one night, the Torvik projection for Penn State's record went from a game over .500 to 13-18 (7-13 in conference).

Back