Findlay College Prep Documentary

We have 2 seniors in Kirill and T.J. leaving this year, which leaves us with 2 scholarship spots. I don't believe we have filled Franck Ndongo's spot as he left the team this summer. Brandenburg has taken one of the spots and I believe we have 2 more scholarships to offer for next year.

districtballer said:
We have 2 seniors in Kirill and T.J. leaving this year, which leaves us with 2 scholarship spots. I don't believe we have filled Franck Ndongo's spot as he left the team this summer. Brandenburg has taken one of the spots and I believe we have 2 more scholarships to offer for next year.

Let's check that db...

We know that Kirill and T.J. will be leaving this year. We also know that Rob Brandenberg verbally accepted our offer. Assuming that Larry stays at VCU for his senior year, wouldn't that leave only one scholarship for 2010? Here's what our scholarship roster looks like so far for 2010 (assuming that no one leaves the program)...

0 Jay Gavin
1 Larry Sanders
2 Issiah Grayson
4 Terrance Saintil
10 Darius Theus
12 Joey Rodriguez
20 Bradford Burgess
21 Jamie Skeen
30 Troy Daniels
32 Brandon Rozzell
50 Ed Nixon
-- Rob Brandenberg

That's why I've been so concerned regarding our size next year. With only one scholarship left to offer (that we know of), we're shaping up to be a very small team next year!

I can't speak for everyone else, but if Larry stays for his senior year, size will be the least of my concerns.

A front line of Larry, Jamie and Terrance, while not deep, would still be better than any front court VCU has fielded in the past 5 years.

xjohnx said:
I can't speak for everyone else, but if Larry stays for his senior year, size will be the least of my concerns.

A front line of Larry, Jamie and Terrance, while not deep, would still be better than any front court VCU has fielded in the past 5 years.

Oh, I'd be thrilled with that scenario! My concern is that Larry will bolt and there won't be anyone left with any size and/or skill to complement Jamie and Terrance. Or, if we should receive another commitment or two from some of the guards and or small forwards we're chasing and we don't have any scholarships left to offer. I believe it's a legitimate concern! I'll feel a lot better after we receive a commitment from one of the PF/C's we're chasing!

districtballer said:

I thought Grayson filled Francks spot

Rambler said:
districtballer said:

Let's check that db...

We know that Kirill and T.J. will be leaving this year. We also know that Rob Brandenberg verbally accepted our offer. Assuming that Larry stays at VCU for his senior year, wouldn't that leave only one scholarship for 2010? Here's what our scholarship roster looks like so far for 2010 (assuming that no one leaves the program)...

0 Jay Gavin
1 Larry Sanders
2 Issiah Grayson
4 Terrance Saintil
10 Darius Theus
12 Joey Rodriguez
20 Bradford Burgess
21 Jamie Skeen
30 Troy Daniels
32 Brandon Rozzell
50 Ed Nixon
-- Rob Brandenberg

That's why I've been so concerned regarding our size next year. With only one scholarship left to offer (that we know of), we're shaping up to be a very small team next year!

Someone will need to leave or go off scholly....

VCUBeatsduke

My count also reflects only one remaining 2009 scholarship, which is also what link below reflects:

http://www.recruitrecon.com/index.php?option=com_recruit&task=showteam&sportid=1&id=13

I like web site comments about Brandenburg, but I was really suprised we signed him.

Might one of the following be impacting Coach Smart's perspective:
1. He anticipates someone leaving the program to get us back to 2 scholarships available for 2009
2. He's getting direct feedback Larry wants to be 1 and done, which brings us back to 2
3. He is feeling very confident about signing a targeted big man making a visit

Comments on above assumptions:
# 1 ....having 8 guards on scholarship all under 6' 5"? A number of them will simply not get much, if any, PT. I suspect one will depart.
# 2 Even if Larry wants to make a jump, regardless of upcoming year performance, would he if injuried, and would Smart chase offering Larry's scholarship as open with that risk?
# 3 Only one big man is reflecting VCU as "high interest" on the recruting sites--for what that's worth?

I really think we need two big's signed for 2009. IF we only sign one, and Larry leaves, that puts us very, very thin and inexperienced in the front court. Ideally, two center/forward types [6' 8"+] or one center and a versitale forward [6' 6" or 6' 7"] with some shoting range.

Are you guys sure Jamie Skeen is on a bball scholly? I know he was on a track one last year...wasnt sure if he switched.

you guys are giving me a headache
I'm gonna let the staff that's getting paid worry about the details
I'm just gonna enjoy one of the best teams VCU has had.

You're right, my bad. I assume the staff must be preparing for the event that Larry leaves early.

so with the scholarships we've offered its just first come first serve?

I would think Coach Smart is planning on some transfers with 8 swing/guards on the roster and 3 being freshmen. He signed another guard with the first visit. Even though we will be running on offense and pressing on defense there is no way we will play that many guards. On the other hand Gwynn will probably get some minutes at power forward due to foul trouble, but is more of a small forward.
If Rodriquez, Gavin, Rozzell, or Nixon(or maybe a freshmen) don't get significant playing time this year one or more will be transfering. It's not logical to think everyone stays. Coach Smart has to have it in his mind some of these guys are gone.

Gavin has already transferred once and used his redshirt year. Rodriguez, Nixon and Rozzell will only have one year of eligibility left after this year. I can't see any of them transferring. Skeen hastransferred once already and will also be a senior next year. I can't see any of the freshmen transferring at this point. Burgess is a starter and from Richmond. I can't see him transferring either. That leaves Saintil. He is the only one I can see transferring after this year if he does not get significant playing time this year.

I think if Larry stays next year, we only need to sign one big with the last scholarship. If he goes pro, then we need two bigs for next year.

Wolfpack Ram said:
Gavin has already transferred once and used his redshirt year. Rodriguez, Nixon and Rozzell will only have one year of eligibility left after this year. I can't see any of them transferring. Skeen hastransferred once already and will also be a senior next year. I can't see any of the freshmen transferring at this point. Burgess is a starter and from Richmond. I can't see him transferring either. That leaves Saintil. He is the only one I can see transferring after this year if he does not get significant playing time this year.

I think if Larry stays next year, we only need to sign one big with the last scholarship. If he goes pro, then we need two bigs for next year.

Burgess is awsome in my opion and if he left I'd be pissed at Coach Smart I think he can become NBA type player if he gets alittle more confident. He is a very good shooter with size. As for Rodriguez, Nixon, Gavin, and Rozzell there is always D2. They are all solid players but they are here to play basketball not ride the pine. If we don't give them minutes they're going somewhere to get them.This is just my opinion.

Just like he did with Franck Coach Smart will make room if need be...I hope it doesn't become a trend though.

Back