Here we go again- RTD

Really poor effort on that article. W&M was picked to finish 10th in the CAA, not 8th, to go along with the enormous error regarding overtime.

Didn't realize you were speaking of the 2nd half only Chill. Still, it's hard to say we don't need to play better D giving up 48 points in 20 minutes. We should be able to shoot 35% for a half with a 16 point lead and win as long as we aren't giving up nearly 50 points a half.

It's only one game, but we need to win our next few CAA games as to not fall behind.

kaplankrazies said:
Really poor effort on that article. W&M was picked to finish 10th in the CAA, not 8th, to go along with the enormous error regarding overtime.

And people wonder why newspapers are becoming a thing of the past....

I suspect that proof-readers/editorial assistants were slashed with the wave of cuts the RTD has made to stay afloat. Afterall, with all of the canned AP stuff they use now, there is a diminished need for quality reviews. Then again, "staying afloat" is probably more accurately "slowly sinking" if quality continues to take a back seat.

At this point, local coverage is the only reason to pick up a TD. If they can't get that right....

I get the RTD daily, but can't give them a pass on the several errors made in the article.

I believe VCU & W&M had two of the higher D1 RPI's in the state going into the game [someone confirm?] or at least both have beaten some very good teams.

Both are definitely in the RTD's sweet spot of major universiites immediately in their circulation area.

VCU is turning some heads with early wins under a new, young first-year coach. W&M is turning many heads with one of their best starts I can recall.

If this doesn't warrant first-rate coverage with depth and accuracy, etc., what does? I know 4 pro scouts attended the game, it was on tv and the first conference game between two major universities. The conference [CAA] also graduates more Virginia's each year than any other univerities in the state. If this game doesn't reach a priority on their level of awareness/coverage/quality, then I need to rethink why I get the paper.

I want the RTD to be successful, but this really disappointed me.

We are all Basketball fanatics here, but I would be very surprised if RTD didn't spend its resources on Football this weekend. W&M, & Richmond had huge football games this weekend, and there was the BCS thing going on. I think it just wasn't as high on the priority scale as we would have liked.

I will be very surprised if both VCU and W&M are still good for the second meeting and the game doesn't get the hype it should. That time of year is all about BBall.

That said I'm still not a fan of the RTD. They really need to adjust to reality and cover the local Richmond area better! Style Weekly's coverage of Richmond is far better (sans sports) and they are a WEEKLY paper.

Rambunctious said:
I'm not saying the RTD is great, however the errors they make are visible while the errors most of us make (and get paid for) at work aren't noticed by 500,000 people.

Here's an example for you of what some adjustments might have looked like.

Alternate a 2-3 and man-to-man on successive trips down the court. Extend the 2-3 to be more aggressive on the perimeter. Try 1-3-1 halfcourt trap versus a full court trap which lead to easy perimeter shots - - this would have extended the halfcourt offense some. Get out of a man-to-man D when they are killing you with backdoor cuts. Don't press every trip down the court (where our guys tired?). Call additional timeouts and coach.

These are a just a few suggestions. Instead we saw nothing different to make W&M think and break their rhythm. Maybe I am the only one that sees so few adjustments being made. Overall I like Smarts style of play, but the team's discipline (note Brad's late fouls and Joey's oop) and game management is not there yet.

If I were to criticize any part of the coaching Saturday, it would probably be VCU's use of timeouts in the second half. I thought Coach Smart should have called a timeout earlier in the second half to stop the bleeding, but he continued to let them play. It was like he was saving them for the end when we should have used a couple during W&M's run the cut away at VCU's 16 point lead.

There is a small correction printed in Section A of this morning's (Monday) RTD.

RamJamFan said:
I get the RTD daily, but can't give them a pass on the several errors made in the article.

I believe VCU & W&M had two of the higher D1 RPI's in the state going into the game [someone confirm?] or at least both have beaten some very good teams.

Both are definitely in the RTD's sweet spot of major universiites immediately in their circulation area.

VCU is turning some heads with early wins under a new, young first-year coach. W&M is turning many heads with one of their best starts I can recall.

If this doesn't warrant first-rate coverage with depth and accuracy, etc., what does? I know 4 pro scouts attended the game, it was on tv and the first conference game between two major universities. The conference [CAA] also graduates more Virginia's each year than any other univerities in the state. If this game doesn't reach a priority on their level of awareness/coverage/quality, then I need to rethink why I get the paper.

I want the RTD to be successful, but this really disappointed me.

Please note that the article in question was written by a special correspondent, not a regular staff writer! I emailed the editor today concerning the errors and the use of a special correspondent, but have not gotten a response. Any bets that I won't get a response?

I think they should use special correspondents, as long as it is one of the VCURamNation guys. Or let Kowalczyk bring a little ATH to the RTD. As long as it wouldn't interfere with his outlet shopping.

I would question why they ( RTD) sent a staff writer to Alabama to cover UVA but could not get Tim to Williamsburg

Back