If Mike Leaves

rammad90

Elite Member
If Mike leaves do you trust Ed to make a good hire? I know Ed id the AD but does he make the decision in a vacuum?

His first two Mens Basketball Hires were easy, WW and Mike. Now he has a job to do? Does Mike Jones get a shot? If not why not? His record is better than Mikes was at that level.

Do we give any of the other guys a shot? Do we choose the guy from Utah State even though his coaching style might not fit our team makeup? We could end up with another Mooney.

Also, what will Ed do to retain our players or will Mike just be allowed to pull a Kim English and poach our guys away?

Decisions, decisions.

The future of the program may hang in the balance?

Thoughts?

Don’t know that I trust he can keep a good coach
lost Shaka and now Mike...he is 0 for 2

Ryan Odom seems like he’ll be the coach of VCU as early as tomorrow or by the end of the week.

Don’t know that I trust he can keep a good coach
lost Shaka and now Mike...he is 0 for 2
Other than hanging on to Coach Smart for a few years longer every coach we have had has left as soon as they got an offer for more money. I wouldn't blame that on any individual for the program not being able to match the money.

With NIL when are we gonna see some mid majors paying coaches less and ponying up more money for players. Why not pay a coach say
$500k and have 3 mil for player acquisition/retention.

Idk. I don’t know much about Odom other than where he’s coached before. I had a big problem with Utah State all season because their resume didn’t seem great to me but their NET was so much higher than our’s.

I’m cool with the hire if it’s true. Other schools want Odom, and I honestly think Utah State was a better team than us this year, so it seems like a win-win.

I appreciate Ed knowing who he wants and making it happen. I think it shows we are a place coaches want to be. I like coaches acting fast to come here instead of taking three days to make a decision.

Little bummed but mostly Indifferent.. I said in a post a few weeks ago. NIL has changed all college sports.
Thread on this site to support our players by donating -- umm no. so everyone who donated- how you feeling about your investment?

NIL sucks for any mid/ small school fan.

#stuckinmiddle
#2stepsforward2stepsback
#rugpullin321
#NILrichGetricher

If Rhoades leaves we don't have a team makeup. We would be starting from scratch.
That's my fear as well. Guys might start leaving and I am sure Mike will try to get Ace and Jamir to follow. Maybe Kern as well. Delouch doesnt translate to a Big 10 starting post. If the kids from UR, Dayton and St. Mary's lit him up what happens night in night out in the big 10 with legit 7 footers?

Other than hanging on to Coach Smart for a few years longer every coach we have had has left as soon as they got an offer for more money. I wouldn't blame that on any individual for the program not being able to match the money.
Look money is the root of all evil as is ego. I think in this case Mike has out kicked his coverage. I still appreciate the job Mike did but VCU did him a solid.

We gave him a chance at being a DI assistant when no one else would. A Grant wouldnt hire him but SS gave him a shot. DIII love I guess.

We gave him a prime DI HC job when the best he could do was Rice.

While there was some grumbling this year, we were prepared to ride or die with him.

And he leaves the first opportunity? He knew our financial situation when he got here it wasnt a secret. And heck 1.7 million is a ish ton of money for coaching a bunch of amateurs who throw a ball in a basket.

Will I root for Penn State? Yeah probably every game they arent playing Illinois but I do feel burned.

That's life we are VCU and we dont rebuild we reload. I just look forward to playing Penn State and stomping their butts into the ground.

Guessing Ed gets out of dodge fairly soon.
Rhoades has been around for 6 seasons. That's not that short of a tenure.

Back