Players Jason Nelson in transfer portal

I have a bad feeling about Fats. Just sayin'

Fats leaving doesn’t make much sense. He’s looking at plenty of PT here next season and he hasn’t done enough on the court to warrant transferring up.

Fats should be able to do well NIL wide here as a local guy and Odom knows he’s one of the guys he absolutely has to retain.

Wishing Jnel the best. He always played with confidence and I think he gave it everything he had. Best of luck to him in the future. Same for Max as he pursues professional opportunities or higher level competition than the A10.

This one isn’t surprising. The unfortunate thing here is that he was one of the few that I actually felt really cared about playing for VCU. Plus he’s a local. I feel like he really wanted it to work here but just couldn’t get adjusted. I do wish him the best.

Fats leaving doesn’t make much sense. He’s looking at plenty of PT here next season and he hasn’t done enough on the court to warrant transferring up.

Fats should be able to do well NIL wide here as a local guy and Odom knows he’s one of the guys he absolutely has to retain.
I agree with the hasn't done enough to warrant him transferring up part.

Here's the thing though.... right now we don't know how much playing time hes gonna get.

His ball handling & defense are a liability..... and before you say "he's a freshman" (which is true due to a technicality, since he redshirted the 22-23 season after 8 games due to injury).... He's still been around the college game for 2 seasons. He's still had college coaches, trainers & such to work with for 2 years. And yet he still tries to play like he's playing HS ball for Varina against some bad basketball team like Mechanicsville HS.

He only played in 10 out of 18 conference games, in only 3 of those games did he play double digit minutes. He only played in 1 game of the A10 Tournament where he played 2 minutes versus Fordham. Tho he did play in all 3 NIT games,

And this year (aside from the Penn State game) he had a very mixed bag of results this season, and most of that mixed bag was un-impressive.

And well... he was deemed the one responsible for bringing in Bam, J-Nel & Wheeler. And well.... 2 of the 3 of them are back in the portal after 1 season because they didn't pan out for one reason or another.

Unless he has a HE11 of a good offseason, gets in the weight room, and changes his mindset..... then I think next year is going to be more of the same as this year was.

Right now based on what we got returning (as of this moment)... I see Zeb, Joe & Belle starting at the 1-3 (unless we put Belle at the 4) and Fermin either at the 4 or 5 depending on who we bring into fill the roster spots.

And if we land Brickus somehow.... that's another player that'll jump Fats for minutes as he's already an established player. And if we bring in other players from the portal... chances are they will jump Fats too..... Unless Fats just has an unbelievable offseason.

I agree Fats role will increase significantly next year. He can do enough to get some NIL money.

Where I advising him I’d say to bust your hump, work on your handle, work on your D, and just simply get better.

Unlike my friend Rowdy, I do see room for improvement. I have to say, when we were all celebrating his arrival, I did say he might not be as college ready as we thought. But hey for our fan base all new recruits are better than what we have.

I hope my guy Fermin stays, Belle, Zeb, and Bam are a good core. We add in two-three plus our very good freshman and we are all good.

As to JNel, well maybe the freshman point was going to supplant him for minutes and was heir apparent at least for the next two years before he decided to bolt for the $$$$

Thank you JNel for bringing it every night for VCU! A team player that rooted for the success of everyone, even when glued to the bench.

Wish you the best of luck and will continue to root for you and your journey.

Wanted you to flourish so bad, but understand the drive for more minutes and a better fit.

Hope where ever you go, you get the chance to stick it to UR.

You really are dreaming, aren't you. No way, no how. His ball handling skills and pg IQ is not even close to the level that we need. Plus, he is not a pg and never will be. That is not his basketball position nor his talent.
He was playing Bairstow's position when Bairstow was out. He also brought the ball up court several times this year from what I remember. Also would create a match-up nightmare for other teams.

Who else on the roster besides maybe Jennings can back up Zeb right now?

Last edited:
I think I'll just tune out until mid-August. We should maybe have a team by then.
All this holds no interest for me. The players could care less about VCU, any concept of "team" or RO. Suck it.

The treatment that most of our fans give to JayNel vs. the treatment he gets from UR fans shows a lot. Losing players and coaches suck but it’s something that we are all used to. If you are always complaining and badmouthing former players or coaches, you should transfer down your fandom to the school 6 miles away.

Back