Lance Kearse Trying Out for Jaguars

Mistachill

Elite Member
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/06/11/3445802/jaguars-giving-basketball-player.html

The 24-year-old Kearse is one of the most interesting stories of the three-day camp. He started his college basketball career at Virginia Commonwealth, transferred to Division II Eckerd College, played a year of professional basketball in Spain, and until Tuesday, hadn't strapped on a football helmet since he was 13.

"It feels foreign, it feels strange," he said. "But I feel like with repetition, it'll be normal again."

Well..... he is "The Freak's" cuz......

It would really be neat to hear him say "VCU!" on Monday Night Football when the players list their college.

But -- Mike McKenzie (DB with Packers and later Saints) earned much message board scorn when he would announce his high school instead of college.

It would really be neat to hear him say "VCU!" on Monday Night Football when the players list their college.

But -- Mike McKenzie (DB with Packers and later Saints) earned much message board scorn when he would announce his high school instead of college.

Not as cool as Darryl Dawkins' "Planet Lovetron"

Would Jax actually be on Monday Night Football? I wouldn't think ratings would allow it. I think they are looking uphill for several years at best.

Lance%20Kearse.jpg

Kearse left VCU after "butting heads" with then-coach Anthony Grant over what appeared to be conditioning issues.
During a workout in his freshman year in 2007, Kearse had to be rushed to a hospital after battling serious fatigue and uncontrollable cramping. He nearly lost his kidneys as a result of severe dehydration.
He struggled to play much more than 10 minutes a game as a freshman and then left school in the middle of his sophomore season.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/06/11/3445802/jaguars-giving-basketball-player.html#storylink=cpy

What was Grant thinking?

We discussed this in another thread. Kearse has sickle cell. He was lethargic and he did not know why. It was finally discovered after he left the team.

From the article..
During a workout early in his freshman year at VCU, Kearse was taken to the hospital after battling serious fatigue and uncontrollable cramping. He nearly lost his kidneys as a result of severe dehydration.
He struggled to play 10-15 minutes per game during two frustrating and painful seasons at VCU.
"While everything was at its worst," Kearse said. "I kind of felt like I was gonna die."
Kearse left VCU and landed at Eckerd, just two hours from his Ft. Myers hometown. He continued to struggled with fatigue and cramping until a blood test performed during a physical.
The test revealed that Kearse had the sickle cell trait, which earned headlines after the death of UCF football player Ereck Plancher.
Kearse read about Plancher and had a feeling that he shared the same condition after hearing about Plancher's symptoms.
"When they said sickle cell trait," Eckerd head coach Tom Ryan said. "(Lance) was really afraid."
"When I was told how serious the sickle cell trait was," Kearse said. "It kind of hit me."
Fortunately for Kearse, he was properly diagnosed.

We discussed this in another thread. Kearse has sickle cell. He was lethargic and he did not know why. It was finally discovered after he left the team.

From the article..
During a workout early in his freshman year at VCU, Kearse was taken to the hospital after battling serious fatigue and uncontrollable cramping. He nearly lost his kidneys as a result of severe dehydration.
He struggled to play 10-15 minutes per game during two frustrating and painful seasons at VCU.
"While everything was at its worst," Kearse said. "I kind of felt like I was gonna die."
Kearse left VCU and landed at Eckerd, just two hours from his Ft. Myers hometown. He continued to struggled with fatigue and cramping until a blood test performed during a physical.
The test revealed that Kearse had the sickle cell trait, which earned headlines after the death of UCF football player Ereck Plancher.
Kearse read about Plancher and had a feeling that he shared the same condition after hearing about Plancher's symptoms.
"When they said sickle cell trait," Eckerd head coach Tom Ryan said. "(Lance) was really afraid."
"When I was told how serious the sickle cell trait was," Kearse said. "It kind of hit me."
Fortunately for Kearse, he was properly diagnosed.

yes. Here's where I have to call the whole conditioning and medical component of the program...We have one of the top hospitals in the country? If a guy is complaining like this, why not have him taken down to MCV to get checked out?

How many basketball players have to die in practice due to strokes, heart attacks, embelisms etc at any level for A.D's to take preemptive action to ensure the player's health?

I can't really weigh in on that since I am not privy to what happened. I am glad he was able to continue his career and that he is doing well now.

Back