Players Max Shulga in transfer portal

I honestly believe the money got ahead of the governance. The schools likely don't give a rats a$$ what the kids are confronted with after they have exhausted their eligibility.
Its always been that way. Colleges have dumbed down the degree requirements to a point where likely half of the degrees (including many of the student athletes) are virtually worthless. The colleges are patting themselves on the back with the academic progression rate (APR) and 5 year graduation rates and do zero success tracking about the careers and financial/ professional outcomes (outside sports) the former students/ student athletes have.
The higher education system fails most students. But if you ask the colleges they beat their own drum on how well they are doing.

Last edited:
Max will not get more minutes than he would have gotten here. He is looking at immediate $$ and what he can get now in the NIL
He now has to move to another new program, Build chemistry with his teammates and coaches and compete for PT. He had all those boxes ticked here. If he stayed here, the new recruits were going to have to learn to fit into Max's game. That is not the case at L'ville. The better move for Max is stay at VCU. It is a visible stage that he will have the starring role. For long term career basketball money and success, leaving VCU is a mistake.
Coach said on his radio show that it is still Max's intention to go pro but if he does not do that we can't afford to keep him at VCU. Sounds like coach advised him to get in the portal just in case.

I honestly believe the money got ahead of the governance. The schools likely don't give a rats a$$ what the kids are confronted with after they have exhausted their eligibility. It's a business now and it's your individual responsibilty.
When the IRS comes around, they'll be double or triple portaled at some other place.

Soon they'll be reminiscing about the old days when you could get a strong ass offer that you didn't have to report. Of course, I'm sure there's still some of that to supplement the NIL money. Inflation is a real nancy right now.

I'm not sure what rules matter any longer. There is a rule which basically says that a player who is NOT in the portal cannot be contacted by other schools. Many of our players have been contacted. Max and Tobi were contacted long before they hit the portal.

Speaking of Max and Tobi, they are both foreign-born players, and as @WillWeaverRVA pointed out, there are rules for those players receiving NIL, but it doesn't seem to matter as each received offers well into the six figures from power schools.

When the police (NCAA) is actually a combination of Barney Fife and Roscoe P. Coltrane, then the rules don't seem to matter. (Yes, I know the student Visa rules may also be policed by federal authorities.)
Has either guy made a decision.

Back